WA living expenses???

Paul001

Hi everybody

I know this question have been asked a thousand times, but things have changed in the mean time and especially house prices whether you rent or buy. I would really appreciate some advice from people in WA whether a family of four would be able to make a living on a gross income of approximately $ 80000 and this would be on a 457 visa, so please keep the medical expenses in mind. Nothing fancy maybe a cheapy for the daily drop of at school and so on, it will only be until the PR comes through over two to three years and from there on one can then start to build a future and gather belongings again.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Always difficult to answers as we all like different bells and wistles for our lifestyles. On $80K buying would be hard (although the banks will grant you a massive loan) but renting should be fine. Having said that, if you're prepared to travel, you would be able to buy something on $80K.

My 2c...

AA

Have a look on domain.com.au and look at what rental and buying prices are like. I think especially in the beginning, renting is good as it gives you the opportunity to have a look around and see where you would like to buy or what is good value for money.

Food seems to be ok, there are a lot of specials, so buy in bulk :) Chocolate's a bit pricey if you're still paying in Rands (lol) but so worth it! Shop around. The shops are also having big sales on clothes at the moment (making space for winter items) so you can pick up some nice things for relatively cheap. Once again, it pays to shop around.

Have a look on the different stores websites to see what things costs.

All the best!

Mich

You may want to consider the tax benifits of a 457 visa - if you have your primary residence 'overseas' then as I understand, your rental costs are tax deductable - meaning that the state effectively pays a large chunk of your rent .... so you may want to wait until you have a PR before you buy a house - which will also give you time to look around to know the market, different areas and find that 'bargain' >

Hi Paul

WA is a huge place and it'll really depend on where you're going to settle. In more remote rural areas you'll pay a lot more for groceries etc. Even Perth has big differences in rent from one area to another and how far from the city you are etc etc.

Will you be getting LAFHA whilst on the 457, it'll make a big difference.

You're welcome to PM me if you've got specific questions.

Denise

Thanks to everybody who replied to this question.

It seems that although it might be a bit tight on that budget it will be possible. I will definitely be renting for the duration of the 457 visa and once we received PR we can start looking at buying a property.

Denise if all goes according to plan we will stay in the Rockingham, Waikiki area. I will definitely discuss the possibility of LAFHA with the employer.

Regards

Paul

Nice area Paul. The shopping centre there is amazing.

Archived