Maritana: Introduction

Maritana

Hi,

I am West Australian (born & bred) and I have lived in the City Of Kalgoorlie/Boulder for the past 12 years. I have been following this site for the past two years and decided that I should join the forum in order to make a contribution to some of the discussion topics from time to time.

I became interested in migration stories from Africa after watching media reports concerning farmers from Zimbawe several years ago. Since then, both through the media and this forum I became aware of some of the issues affecting South Africans and the reasons that they seek to migrate to other countries for a new life.

Living in Kalgoorlie Boulder (about 30,000 population) I have become increasingly aware that there is quite a number of africans who have chosen to work and live in my community. In fact I am aware of two South African families that live in my street. Within the last twelve months a South African Shop has opened for business. Also South African foodstuffs are available for purchase at my local supermarket (IGA O'Connor).

I sincerely hope that future migrants to Australia are able to find security and a future for their families as many seem to have done here in Kalgoorlie.

Hello and a HUGE welcome to the forum.

Regards

S

Hi,

I am West Australian (born & bred) and I have lived in the City Of Kalgoorlie/Boulder for the past 12 years. I have been following this site for the past two years and decided that I should join the forum in order to make a contribution to some of the discussion topics from time to time.

I became interested in migration stories from Africa after watching media reports concerning farmers from Zimbawe several years ago. Since then, both through the media and this forum I became aware of some of the issues affecting South Africans and the reasons that they seek to migrate to other countries for a new life.

Living in Kalgoorlie Boulder (about 30,000 population) I have become increasingly aware that there is quite a number of africans who have chosen to work and live in my community. In fact I am aware of two South African families that live in my street. Within the last twelve months a South African Shop has opened for business. Also South African foodstuffs are available for purchase at my local supermarket (IGA O'Connor).

I sincerely hope that future migrants to Australia are able to find security and a future for their families as many seem to have done here in Kalgoorlie.

Hi Maritana

That is really nice of you! In my opinion it is always good to get some input from a local. I am new in Perth but plan to go to Kalgoorlie at some point and I'll be sure to get some advice from you first.

Welcome to the forum and don't feel alone, we have a few Aussies on here :ilikeit:

Welcome!!!

I absolutely agree, brilliant to get a locals input and info, very valuable info to be had!!! :ilikeit:

Welcome, how nice of you to offer advice to us! We are also going to be coming to WA soon, will loads of questions!

Thank you :ilikeit:

To Serendipity, Juba, Bevmac, Tyde & Cramer - Thanks for the welcome and hello, much appreciated.

Hi Maritana, and welcome. That's great of you to want to help out for no particular reason other than to help out... doesn't happen often these days! :ilikeit:

'On ya, Tim!

Yeah . . . . I was up in Darwin visiting the wife's cousin, back in early 2000 when I was told by them the news reports about white farmers in Zim being chopped up.

Strangely, the response I got in Australia was muted . . . . almost as if it was now the lot of white folk to be on the receiving end of bad treatment. The maltreatment was covered but in a "clinical" detached way. If it had happened earlier in apartheid South Africa or to our own Aborigines, all hell would have been raised.

It was from that point onwards that I began to realise that the days of colonialism and the descendants of all those settlers of the past weren't wanted anywhere in Africa and it was time to help "bring them home" . . . . to Britain, Europe, America, Australia, Canada or New Zealand where their own kind were.

They wouldn't be treated in that manner amongst us, in the West, and they would be safe.

So . . . . here I am, and have been for a few years now.

Glad to have you on board, mate!

Welcome to the forum, it's wonderful that people like you (and Bob) give of your time for us... much appreciated!

Welcome Maritana and thanks for that lovely sentiment. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if everyone felt this way. We look forward to your posts!

'On ya, Tim!

Yeah . . . . I was up in Darwin visiting the wife's cousin, back in early 2000 when I was told by them the news reports about white farmers in Zim being chopped up.

Strangely, the response I got in Australia was muted . . . . almost as if it was now the lot of white folk to be on the receiving end of bad treatment. The maltreatment was covered but in a "clinical" detached way. If it had happened earlier in apartheid South Africa or to our own Aborigines, all hell would have been raised.

It was from that point onwards that I began to realise that the days of colonialism and the descendants of all those settlers of the past weren't wanted anywhere in Africa and it was time to help "bring them home" . . . . to Britain, Europe, America, Australia, Canada or New Zealand where their own kind were.

They wouldn't be treated in that manner amongst us, in the West, and they would be safe.

So . . . . here I am, and have been for a few years now.

Glad to have you on board, mate!

I so much agree with THIS! I realised here in Asia that I will belong amongst my own kind!!

I had lunch yesterday with my best friend here in Asia, born and bred Perthonian!! I said to my family last night that she is just the nicest Aussie ever. And now I have "met" yet another nicest Aussie ever!! And the same goes for Bob and all the other Aussies on this Forum that make valuable contributions.

I look forward to seek out the best in all people in my journey to make Australia my HOME.

HansaPlease - cheers for the welcome. I have followed the Super 14 Rugby for the last few years and it is certainly not a game for the faint hearted. It would seem that the Western Force's season was over the moment Andre Pretorius tore his hamstring.

Bob - I have always enjoyed reading your posts as they are informative and offer good commonsense practical advice. I stayed in Adelaide CBD over Xmas and it is a city to be proud of.

Coyote & Veronique - Thanks very much for the welcome.

Eva - Thanks, along with the rest of the forum members I have really enjoyed reading about your journey-very positive & encouraging.

HouseInOz-Thanks very much for your kind words.

Hey Maritana,

Welcome. Good to have you here.

I have also always enjoyed Bob's posts. ;) And its good to have more Aussies on the forum to share advice. Can I ask a question - How could you follow the forum for two years and not jump in to some of the conversations? Didnt it kill you sometimes not to want chat and add your bit? :lol: Man that would have done my head in.

Hi Jordy,

I've never been on a forum before so it is all a bit new to me being a participant rather than an observer. And yes there were a few occasions when I would like to have made a comment and so now I have made the plunge! NB: I have a brother that lives in Dawesville probably not that far from you. The Mandurah area certainly has a lot going for it. We are a bit short on fishing/crabbing spots in Kalgoorlie. Trust that you have had a good feed of fish/crabs over summer.

Archived