Meds SA - AU

Serendipity

Hi quick Q

I would like to take 6 months supply of Eltroxin tabs (2 small bottles of just over 100 tabs each)

Can i do this?

Thought i could pack one bottle in the case and take the other bottle onboard in my handbag :ilikeit:

You can bring 3 months supply and you must have a prescription that matches your name on the bottle.

You can bring 3 months supply and you must have a prescription that matches your name on the bottle.

So bang goes that idea - Q: Do i need to get another presciption then for the same meds but not "cash it in" then?

Sarah we brought 4 monts supply for my mom - heart, bloodpressure and hormone tablets. No prescription needed, as long as you DECLARE, DECLARE, DECLARE. They get snotty when you try and hide/sneek stuff in.

Maybe phone Quantas and ask them just in case.

Mel

Sarah we brought 4 monts supply for my mom - heart, bloodpressure and hormone tablets. No prescription needed, as long as you DECLARE, DECLARE, DECLARE. They get snotty when you try and hide/sneek stuff in.

Maybe phone Quantas and ask them just in case.

Mel

Thanks Mel, think i will do just that, when the flights are booked, might use V-AU - its cheap cheap :ilikeit:

Trying to avoid having to see a doc more or less straight after arriving just to get local scripts issued.

What a pain! sheez it's amazing how the little things actually turn out to be so problamatic!

From Dept of Heath website

I am travelling to Australia by plane or ship and need to bring my medication with me. What do I need to do?

Provided that your medication IS NOT subject to regulation 5H (or in certain circumstances regulation 5G) of the import regulations you can bring it into Australia for the purpose of treating your own medical condition or treating a passenger who is under your care, provided that you have a prescription or a letter from your doctor to confirm that the medicine was prescribed by a medical practitioner. So that you comply with other Australian legislation covering therapeutic products you should ensure that the maximum amount of medicine you bring is equivalent to 3 months’ supply at the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer. Read on further to determine if your medicine may be controlled under a regulation that requires a written permit to bring it into Australia for personal use.

You cannot bring medicines that are subject to regulation 5H of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations into Australia unless you hold a permit. Medicines subject to this level of import control include anabolic steroids and some other substances. If you intend to bring medications containing any of the substances listed in the table below you should follow the instructions to apply for a permit.

From Dept of Heath website

Thanks Jordy

I would rather stick to the law, would hate to be held in customs over a few to many eltroxin tabs

Hi,

I brought over 3 months supply of meds for my asthma and some sleeping pills (have insomnia, joy). The sleeping pills I was a bit worried about (you can't get them in Aus, so was worried they might think they're dodgy) so I emailed customs and they said it's fine. We arrived and I just declared the medication and they let us through. :ilikeit:

You will just have to visit a doc here when your meds start running out, but there are plenty of forumites who can advise on where to find a good doctor.

when i told the guy at customs in sydney i had meds so he "fine, go on" so i said dont u wanna see them and he said "nah its fine"

strange and a matter of luck i guess!!

i am so glad i bought mine over and pls pack plenty of MYPRODALS !!!!!!!!!

ALSO BRING TAMPONS/PADS, GOOD EAR BUDS, GOOD COTTON WOOL AND SOAP !! Soap is so pricy = close to AUD 4 for a bar of good soap like i used to use in Durban. I was shocked when I saw the price today as my family seem to eat soap!!

i so wished i had more of these kind of things and less kitchen ware!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all good info given here it's really helpful.

I haven't found info which I need exactly. My mother needs to take her medicines for rest of her life. What happens in such case? We have doctor's prescription which mentions that she needs to take this medicine all her life. In such case 3 months stock is quite inadequate, we were thinking of carrying atleast 1 year's stock with us. Please advise if we can do so.

Another question, once we are in Australia, can any of our friend coming over to Australia bring more of medicines with him for us?

Thanks

Hi IT_ Friend,

I think if you read the section I quoted in post #6 above from the customs site you will get your answer. You can bring 3 months medication in and thats it. You mom will need a prescription with your mom's name on it. You cannot bring a years worth of medicine in. You cannot get a friend to bring medication in for you.

I would assume your mom would need to go to an Australian doctor with her medical files and get a local prescription and buy the medicine in Australia. Sorry its not better news.

Are you worried that perhaps the medicine is not available in Aus?

• Like 1

Hi IT_ Friend,

I think if you read the section I quoted in post #6 above from the customs site you will get your answer. You can bring 3 months medication in and thats it. You mom will need a prescription with your mom's name on it. You cannot bring a years worth of medicine in. You cannot get a friend to bring medication in for you.

I would assume your mom would need to go to an Australian doctor with her medical files and get a local prescription and buy the medicine in Australia. Sorry its not better news.

Are you worried that perhaps the medicine is not available in Aus?

Thanks Jordy. You are right I am worried that the exact same medicine may not be available in Australia. Also I am worried that I won't be able to afford as well as find a good doctor soon after we arrive there. Another part is I don't want the doctors to start investigation right from the begining and start trial and error episode of giving medicines checking if that works then changing to another check if that works you know what I mean.

But thanks for your reply.

When we moved to Perth, I brought 6 months epilepsy medicine (Schedule 5) for my son as well as various other medicines. The total weight of all the medicine was ±7kg. One of them was not available in Australia and we had to go through a process to take him of the one to phase the replacement in. I have declared it at customs and they ask me if I have any documentation on them. I said yes, prescriptions, letters from a General Practitioner as well as a letter from a Paediatric Neurologist. They just send me threw and didn’t even bother to look at it.

Before the epilepsy medicine was finished, friends of us went back to SA for a short visit and I arrange all the documentation for her to bring me another 6 months of epilepsy medicine as it was much cheaper in SA than in Australia. She declared it at customs and the let her threw without asking any documentation.

From experience I have find that you declare anything you are not sure about and let them make the decision. This way, they know you don’t hide anything and they are more lenient towards you. If you have a valid reason for doing it, the will even accept that.

Edited by Deon

I bought 1 large suitcase FULL of meds, including 6 months supply of Ventolin and Ceretide for each of my 3 asthmatics, hubby and kids. I typed a list of all meds included (A4) and kept a photocophy of prescriptions. I also noted what each medicine was used for. When I arrived at customs I simply showed my list (thinking it was grounds for possible imprisonment). I was waved through, didn't even have to open the case. The main thing is to DECLARE , that way you cannot get into trouble.

BTW All three asthmatics ended up never using the medications as their asthma dissappeared when we landed in Brisbane. What a waste! But what a wonderful waste at that.

Edited by Veronique

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Deon and Veronique. This info is really helpful.

Veronique I am quite happy that all 3 of them didn't need medicines at all.

Veronique I am quite happy that all 3 of them didn't need medicines at all.

Thanks me too. Apparently the Brisbane climate is perfect for asthmatics.

I bought 1 large suitcase FULL of meds, including 6 months supply of Ventolin and Ceretide for each of my 3 asthmatics, hubby and kids. I typed a list of all meds included (A4) and kept a photocophy of prescriptions. I also noted what each medicine was used for. When I arrived at customs I simply showed my list (thinking it was grounds for possible imprisonment). I was waved through, didn't even have to open the case. The main thing is to DECLARE , that way you cannot get into trouble.

Based on this piece of info i have "cashed" in my full script of 6 months supply, got a copy and the original script (chemist said they will take a copy due to circumstances)

They have stamped it signed it and made it all look very official, i have the receipt of payment also.

Going to take my two bottles (100 pills per bottle), declare it and see what happens. Worse case they confiscate 3 months supply.

Lets see what happens in just over a weeks time . . .

• 4 years later...

Is all this info regarding prescription medicine still relevant? Need to bring some over soon.

As this chat is all ready 5 years old?

To my knowlege nothing has changed, the big thing is to declare!