Bevmac: Newbie

Bevmac

Hi everyone, i've been lurking and reading a lot over the past few days and there is a lot of really helpful info from you all, i decided I better introduce myself and stop being a lurker and hopefully try and be more of a contributor.

We (myself, hubby and our two sons, aged 4 and 10) have been thinking of leaving South Africa for 2 odd years now. (Well, actually more me than hubby!)

Hubby is an Electrician by trade also an Air Craft Electrician, im a PA.

We have not been directly affected by crime really oh a bit of petty theft at the most and maybe that is why this decision has been so hard to make. But one of the main reasons is we really cannot see a future for my 2 sons in South Africa because of many reasons one being they are male and white so we have to try and give them opportunities in their lives that they may not get here and if that means moving half way accross the world then thats what we have decided to do.

Anyway im hoping to learn a lot more as we go along and hopefully make some friends along the way.

Cheers

Bev

Smart move, Bev!

Most of the South Africans that I come across have families . . . . or are young, bright eyed and want to raise a family.

They are invariably white, and as a consequence, don't feel that South Africa offers them much nowadays and in the future.

10 years ago, you'd go from one year to the next hardly coming across a South African accent. Now the "rush" is on! You hear South Africans in the supermarket, you hear South Africans on the telephone, you hear South Africans up the pub and walking around town.

At this rate, make sure you aren't the last one to turn the lights off there.

I'm not South African personally, but I have been to the country some 25 years ago, saw what it was capable of, the talent of its people and recommend them Australia as a place very similar in lifestyle (then), climate, wide open spaces to see, blue skies, warm oceans, cold beer, rugby, barbeques / braais and an open-door living for a lot of the year.

Australia ticks all these boxes. Other countries might tick some of the them, but not all.

Your kids will have all the opportunities that they want here. I have three kids, one being a student dentist, another starting up his own mechanical business just last month!

If you make it to Australia . . . . . and we do need electricians! . . . . I reckon once you have gone thro the emotional and logistical roller coaster of migrating, you'll sit back in time and really appreciate all that this great country has to offer.

. . . . . . but then again, being Australian, I'm a little biased even if I was in England most of last year and travelled widely around Europe.

Good luck, mate!

Hi Bevmac

Welcome to our support system, hope you find answers to all your questions here!

Hi Bev, and welcome.

I think that the decision can sometimes be even harder to make when you haven’t quite been affected by crime. In a sadistic kind of way, when you have been affected directly by violent crime, the decision to leave is easier because you’re able to be angry at or hate the place.

As Bob said, pleanty of work for sparkies around. :ilikeit:

Best of luck.

Hi Bev,

Welcome!!! I am also quite a new member, we started our process last year september.

It is a huge decision, and you will get a lot of conflicting advice from family and friends, but only you and your hubby will truly know what the right decision is for your family and your 2 sons.

We also have 2 young sons, and a big part of our decision to go , is about also giving them a greater future.

Good Luck!!

:) WELCOME TO THE FORUM :ilikeit:

Sure if you have any Q's whatsoever they will be answered here in no time.

All the best

Regards

S

Bevmac....A BIG WARM WELCOME to the forum! :)

My family and I (myself, de-facto, and two boys of 4 and 8) made our decision 2 years ago, and we're doing this whole thing without the use of an agent like many other forumites, a piece of pie thanx to the forum and all the valuable info it's people offer. Sure there will be ups and downs, but the forum is what has gotten us through all of that too.

Have you decided what Visa you're going for? Check out the coffee clubs........

Anyhow, all the best on your application journey, I wish you all the best of luck, and sure we'll see you around the forum in the future. :ilikeit:

Simpsons

Hi Bev

Welcome you have a long hard road ahead of you, there will be ups and downs. Good days and bad days and the support of this forum to carry you through the good and bad. Welcome and enjoy the ride.

Hi Bevmac

Welcome to the best thing EVER invented: "The Forum and its stunning people" :D

Feel free to ask the small and the Big questions, from what certain acronyms stand for to what does the beer taste like! The people here are soooo generous and the wheel turns, so in the end you will be able to help someone as well! ;)

Welcome and start asking those Q?

Stranded

Smart move, Bev!

Most of the South Africans that I come across have families . . . . or are young, bright eyed and want to raise a family.

They are invariably white, and as a consequence, don't feel that South Africa offers them much nowadays and in the future.

10 years ago, you'd go from one year to the next hardly coming across a South African accent. Now the "rush" is on! You hear South Africans in the supermarket, you hear South Africans on the telephone, you hear South Africans up the pub and walking around town.

At this rate, make sure you aren't the last one to turn the lights off there.

I'm not South African personally, but I have been to the country some 25 years ago, saw what it was capable of, the talent of its people and recommend them Australia as a place very similar in lifestyle (then), climate, wide open spaces to see, blue skies, warm oceans, cold beer, rugby, barbeques / braais and an open-door living for a lot of the year.

Australia ticks all these boxes. Other countries might tick some of the them, but not all.

Your kids will have all the opportunities that they want here. I have three kids, one being a student dentist, another starting up his own mechanical business just last month!

If you make it to Australia . . . . . and we do need electricians! . . . . I reckon once you have gone thro the emotional and logistical roller coaster of migrating, you'll sit back in time and really appreciate all that this great country has to offer.

. . . . . . but then again, being Australian, I'm a little biased even if I was in England most of last year and travelled widely around Europe.

Good luck, mate!

Hi Bob

I see you say Oz needs electricians and someone else also mentioned it. We hit it really tough because we applied for visa Mar 2008 when electricians were on CSL and then they were taken off. I cant understand it when like you say and when I spoke to agent to apply rather for SS she said they need electricians so should not be a problem to get SS. My husband gave hes job up and we sold furniture etc then they changed the rules again. We have had to make a start again here now. Anyway I suppose things happen for a reason. But there is not a future here for kids as husband has applied for jobs advertised where he has everything they are asking for expcept being a white male and does not even get a reply. We went on the Oz Job advertisers and they at least reply and ask you when you get to Oz to please contact them. What a difference.

Cheers Kita

Hi everyone

Thanks for such an amazing welcome :D

I have lots to ask and will as the days go on, one thing is for sure it aint no cheap exercise, that im finding out fast and furious ;)

Its all quite confusing at the moment, trying to find out which is gonna be the best route to go, but i'll get there im sure.... I hope :blink:

Anyway great to meet you all.

Let the journey begin :D

Hello my fwriendy,

I'm so glad you finally registered. The folks on this forum are amazing and always quick to offer help where they can! :unsure:

We will both be in Aussie real soon! :whome:

Hi Bob

I see you say Oz needs electricians and someone else also mentioned it. We hit it really tough because we applied for visa Mar 2008 when electricians were on CSL and then they were taken off. I cant understand it when like you say and when I spoke to agent to apply rather for SS she said they need electricians so should not be a problem to get SS. My husband gave hes job up and we sold furniture etc then they changed the rules again. We have had to make a start again here now. Anyway I suppose things happen for a reason. But there is not a future here for kids as husband has applied for jobs advertised where he has everything they are asking for expcept being a white male and does not even get a reply. We went on the Oz Job advertisers and they at least reply and ask you when you get to Oz to please contact them. What a difference.

Cheers Kita

Hi, Kita!

2008 was a bad year for not only Australia but just about every other spot on the planet.

I remember sending a "make sure you all get your Permanent Residency" advice out in the July because there were some dark economic clouds on the horizon that I felt were going to break out (which they did about 3 months later) and I didn't want any South Africans to have to go back due to losing their jobs (which some had to go back as a result, unfortunately)

I can't answer for Western Australia where you applied for State sponsorship it seems, but I believe in my home state of South Australia that electricians are in demand.

If you send me your details, I'll check up on this with the South Australian State government immigration people in Adelaide and let you know.

http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/home.jsp

My email address will be found in the personal column under my user name.

Like I said, there are heaps of South Africans rocking up on Australia's shores nowadays and the message is obviously getting back.

On Saturday, there was a "sokkie" dans (I think that's how you say it??) and was invited but had a prior invitation so couldn't go. I heard next day that the hall were it was held holds about 350 people and the place was chockers ("chock a block") full of good ol' Afrikaans folk kicking their heels up.

. . . . . . this is in Australia!!! . . . . and they're all looking for a new life "down under".

Being white and male, I say "Good on 'em"!

Ek verloor nou my varkies.

Hi Bob.

So 'n bek moet jam en VC kry.

Jan

Hey Oom Jan, Bob definitely deserves to be considered a honourary South African - wat dink jy? :):lol:

Enjoy!

Manny

Ek verloor nou my varkies.

Hi Bob.

So 'n bek moet jam en VC kry.

Jan

Ag, Jan!

Jy weet dit Australier kan nie Afrikaans verstaan nie.

Jy sal in Engels na my moet skryf.

Ek kom nie oppie plaas soals jou!

Hi Manny.

Ek stem saam. Bob verdien 'n oorkonde (onthou julle nog wat dit is?) Ek het eintlik bedoel hy moet 'n "VB" bier kry. Maar, 'n Vitoria Cross sal ok werk. Die perd help my om my huis op te knap en sppok vir 'n vale. Ek weet hy gaat sukkel om die stukkie te verstaan, maar ek sal hom eersdaags inlig en verduidelik as hy my weer kom help.

Die van julle wat nie weet nie, Bob het 'n hart van goud en sy kop staan reg vir ons uitgewekene boere.

Thanx again from all the Boertjies for your help Bob.

Ag, Jan!

Jy weet dit Australier kan nie Afrikaans verstaan nie.

Jy sal in Engels na my moet skryf.

Ek kom nie oppie plaas soals jou!

Hi Bob

It was wonderful to meet you and your lovely wife last Sunday at Church. We hope to see you soon and maybe we should have a braai together. I see Jan this weekend, maybe we can arrange. I call you the father of us all :holy:

Your Afrikaans is astonishing and the fact that you make an effort is absolutely great. One of these days we will call you Oom (uncle) :ilikeit:

Bevmac

You have done the right move in more than one way!

This forum is your first step to Australia!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Still trying to get my head round all the different visa's and codes etc. all quite confusing :blink:

I'll get there hopefully sooner rather than later LOL.

Archived