Where is this? Leer die land ken

Riekie

OK, maybe it is a bit of an obscure place - I'll say more: King Merovaeus was one of the big family kings in the 400's AD. His castle was built in 453 AD in the south of Holland, close to where Dordtrecht is today. His descendants were called Merovingians and later years migrated a bit north in Holland, settling near a river they called Merwede, derived from Merovide. Now you can guess it's a bit Van der Merwe history, as the people then came from the Merovide river, or more Afrikaans, van der Merwede rivier. The farm on the photo is currently owned by a wealthy family with the surname of Roux. The farm still has it's original name, De Hoop. The second generation of Van der Merwe's in South Africa (the first generation was gardener in the parliament's gardens) gained the previledge of being a free citizen (vryburger) and bought the farm 'De Hoop' from the goverment, the title deed was signed by Simon van der stel and Willem Schalkzoon van der Merwe in 1692. The farm was owned for 130 years by this family. A piece of the current mansion is still the original home built by this family.

In March 1952 a huge family reunion was held by the Van der Merwe family and a memorial was built for the occasion.

The farm is 2,5 km from the Paarl Station and is today a wealthy wine farm. The memorial, sadly, is badly kept and in a state of deterioration.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alida

• Stranded

• Riekie

• Marius & Euneze

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can get addicted to this, soooo easily. I am fanatic about my country and all it's beautiful places. Alida, Polly and Riekie, please tell me if you want a turn as well ..... ghie-ghie-ghie <_<

post-9302-1234801538.jpg

South Africa Naturally!!!

Is this near Grahamstown, Northern Cape ? It's in a resort, just need to remember the name now - I've been there during a school excursion some 20 years ago !! Biedouw something ?

OK, it's near Spandaukop, if I remember correctly... think, think, think ...

SPANDAU VALLEY OF DESOLATION NEAR GRAAFF-REINETT !!! Stop the clock, stop the clock !!!! :blink:<_<

Edited by Alida

Scott Scott

Your to good for me!!

Loved Graaff-Reinet just as much!

Valley of Desolation took my breath away! And so did the Aqava tequila <_<

HEHEHE, when I was there on a school outing, I was too young for tequila - seems to me I missed something ... ?? <_<

Without a doubt!!

I went on the tour and tasting at 5h00 in the morning :blink:

Was training during their normal office hours, so they opened their doors, specially for me at 5h00!!! And insisted I taste the Tequila as well!! :blink::unsure:

Small town folks are realy special people <_<

Loved the Cactus nurseries, they had the most stunning plants, had to close my mouth manually VERY often :D

Are you ready for the next one? Or do you want to post one, before Riekie gets up and starts playing..... :whome:

I've got a quickie for you ... No, you first. I have first to get a place for my photo's, my forum space is full... you have the stage !

Apologies, due to technical errors, I was unable to load the pic.... <_<

(Clearly not the technical one in the house, He's sleeping!!, so he is of no use to me currently!!)

What about Augrabies???

Wow, the photo in the Bucket, is that also from the AUgrabies, because I have not seen it that empty!!

Now be patient, let the technical disadvantaged one in the house, try this... <_<:blink:

Yup, it was that empty. We've been there last year June, shortly after the floods. We've seen the debris and watermarks on the banks and rocks, but the water was rather low. Had a great time there, though.

Luckily my techically advantaged one (by far !) is sitting right next to me guiding me with much sympathy and patience, may he be blessed !! <_<

Edited by Alida

Hey, it's getting late for us technically disadvantaged forumites ! The only way to clear space is to go back on the thread, go into full edit of each and every post of yours and delete all your photo's ! I learned the hard way. Much easier to sign up to photobucket or flickr and link your pics. Wake up your hubby !!!

Edited by Alida

You sooooo funny

Have you ever woken an IT Nerd to assist you in something socially inclined? <_<

Number 1 - They have no tact

Number 2 - They have no tact

Number 3 - They have no patients with dumb end users in working hours

Number 4 - They seriously have no patients with dumb end users at home!!

Great, why do I keep him again!!??? :unsure:

Ag, will have to give it up for a bad job, will ask 2morrow, when he has personality again - Hopefully??

I will get strangeled for this post still, one day soon.... :blink:

Thanks for playing with me, loved it, will try again 2morrow :whome:

Hahaha, I have an IT guy myself, that's why he's up so late, playing games while I'm playing games on the forum - and irritating him every now and then with stupid-user-questions ! :unsure:

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the screen for when you're back ... !

PS: You know why I absolutely LOVE being married to an IT guy ? He's HOME !!! And we've got internet and our PC's is working. I love my life at the side of an IT guy !!

Edited by Alida

Alida/Stranded

Just for reference - the question of a few pages regarding photos of "SA", and the quote of Bob & Riekie actually referred to South Australia and not South Africa! :lol:

But no worries, please continue! Stranded, can't wait for your space-problems to be sorted so you can post some more pics.

(As woodag mentioned earlier ..... "what rules?"

:ilikeit:

• 1 month later...

I have just found this thread now and I was loving reading through it so I decided to get it going again...

Clue:

If you have a secret to keep,

Its best you keep quiet as we will hear even the slightest peep...

post-10881-1239255899.jpg

Edited by Kerryt

Good on you, Kerryt !! I know about that dam wall, but I certainly do not know where it is. You can wisper at the one end and hear clearly at a certain point at the other end, I've heard ???