Where is this? Leer die land ken

Riekie

. . .

So, I am actually "cheating" by using tips from people with better ideas than mine, and then deduct my answers by reading up on the Internet ..... :holy:

(Riekie & the rest, I hope this not "against the rules of the game"?) :lol:

My deducted answer is thus the Cowra Japanese Garden, which looks lovely by the way!

(You made it easier with your second photo & all the tips, woodag!)

A

Avida, yes, you got it - well, with some help from Alida. Rules, hey, what rules?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alida

• Stranded

• Riekie

• Marius & Euneze

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hahaha, I thought that looked just like South Africa ! If I remember right, it's some kind of ode to the hard working donkey ?

Upington Donkey Statue: The donkey driving a bucket water pump, you will find at the other end of Schreuder Street, next to the old mission station and the house built by Schreuder, the first white missionary to reach this remote spot. The Mission Church is the white building right at the Southern end of Schreuder Street, the house is slightly behind it, and the donkey statue to the left.

Upington Donkey Statue: The donkey driving a bucket water pump, at the other end of Schreuder Street, next to the old mission station and the house built by Schreuder, the first white missionary to reach this remote spot. The Mission Church is the white building right at the Southern end of Schreuder Street, the house is slightly behind it, and the donkey statue to the left.

SORRRYYYYY -- DOUBLE POSTED - Thanx to confusion caused by Telkom's offline services....

Edited by Alida

Upington museum is home to the life-sized monument of the donkey, sculptured in bronze by Hennie Potgieter. It symbolises the unselfish contribution made by the donkey in developing the Lower Orange River Valley during the pioneer days.

Clever Lady!

Upington remains my favourite place in SA.

Just reading through the below mentioned facts, you MUST agree that for such a small place, it has many Wow's !

Some facts:

Upington is known as the hottest town in South Africa, often reaching temperatures of forty degrees and beyond, though the town is efficiently irrigated by the Orange river, resulting in the town resembling some sort of new age oasis, with its many beautifully landscaped gardens with countless rosebeds and tall graceful trees :whome:

The Raisin Festival boasts a magnificent multicolored parade of floats, beauty competitions, craft building competitions, potjiekos, pancakes and lots of fun for family and visitors. The area is also the location of "Die Eiland", which is a Holiday Resort, situated on an island in the middle of the Orange River.

The resort boasts a Date Palm entrance avenue stretching a distance of a little more than a kilometer, lined with Palms planted 9m apart, making it one of the longest and densest palm avenues in the southern hemisphere. :censored:

The airport features the longest runway in Africa, at lenght of 4.9km, it was completed in 1968 and is used for bothe civil and military flight training purposes and is also utilised for many exports to Europe. :o

There a number of well known Producers in the area, and visitors are permitted tours of their facilities the likes of which are SA Dried Fruit Co-operative where tons of raisins and sultanas are packed daily; the Cotton Ginnery, and at the Orange River Wine Cellars Co-operative which holds the honor of being the second largest in the world.

:wub::wub:

Edited by Stranded

OK, is that still in the Northern Cape ? Looks like it. Couldn't even find it on Google !

Good grief! The bust on the right looks EXACTLY like my grandfather!

*ok found it: Orania

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...00.html?cnn=yes

On the morning of Bittereinderdag, new bronze busts of Hendrik Verwoerd (the notorious architect of apartheid) and other Afrikaner icons are unveiled before an audience of 60 people. Some sport koeksister T-shirts; others wear orange, white and blue, the colors of the Boer Republic defeated by the British. Among the busts stands a statue depicting a boy rolling up his sleeves to get down to work. The same logo adorns the flag and the orange and blue baseball caps popular among residents.
Edited by polly

I appreciate the unbiased way the article was written. Nice one, Stranded, I've got a very interesting and unknown place I've found myself, just need to find the photo !

Glad to assist, I LOVE small and intersting places, my husband always says, I would find Pofadder interesting!! (And yes I do! :blush: )

Love places that the caracter needs to win you over. Not one for flashy bling bling places.

People in small towns normaly have more caracter as well. :ilikeit:

Forgot to say:

Well done Polly! Loved your answer as well. Visisted them last year, must say I was very much amazed!!

Let's see what else I can conjure up... while we await Alida

What I can see is on the blue board at the top left: Melville spin studio - right ? If you look at the litter in the streets it is undoubtedly SA ... :ilikeit:

Oops, sorry - let's first finish Stranded's one. :ilikeit: I'm a bit giddy about my new ability to attach photo's ! Hehehe

Western Cape, it's currently on the property of a rich family, was initially bought by a pioneering family from Simon van der Stel. When the answer is out, I'll post more photo's. You may search for the first gardener of the parliament's gardens, Cape Town.

Riekie, It just dawned on me we're completely hijacking this thread which was supposed to be about Oz. Should we be moved to a seperate thread ?

He he!! :blush:

How 'bout you show us some of SA...... I've been there twice, so I'll give it my best shot... :)

See Riekie's quote above...

So I know she wouldn't mind. :wub::ilikeit:

Nope, a bit farther up north. Maybe I'll help a bit. It's on a wine farm near the Paarl. If you like history, you can read a bit about the king Merovaeus who built his castle in the south of Holland in 453 AD.

Edited by Alida