Where is this? Leer die land ken

Riekie

RAAI-RAAI #1

I've decided to start this thread on the forum (similiar to the one on sacanada) to show the folks back home our beautiful country and share information of all the wonderful places. (Thanks for the idea Hendie!)

Can you guess where this photo was taken?

Tips:

Historic Relic on the banks of the MacDonald river, 105km Northwest of Sydney - You have to take a ferry and a bumpy road to get there. The village was opened up for settlement in 1842 largely because it had become an important stopping point for people wanting to ship their goods down the Hawkesbury River.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alida

• Stranded

• Riekie

• Marius & Euneze

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let me guess....

St. Albans in the 'Forgotten Valley' directly north of Wisemans Ferry :lol:

You're right!! :) Not bad for a kiwi!!

Yes, we discovered this little jewel almost on our doorstep. Amazing how in Australia, you can drive for 1 hour in any direction and end up in a different world!

(Just out of curiosity - how did you know?)

RAAI-RAAI #2

Ok, let's see if you're really that clever! I'm not giving any tips other than: Hunter Valley (Once you get it right, I'll tell you more about it - how's that?)

You got me! I’m not that clever after all. :)

I have absolutely no idea, I’ve never been to that area. You mentioned the Hunter Valley so if I have to make a wild guess I would say the Wollombi-Paxton-Cessnock to Branxton area in the Lower Hunter Valley. But it sounds as though there is an interesting story behind the photo. Is it something to do with an old 1800’s school or missionary?

I’d like to hear more if no one else can guess the location.

Got ya!!! He He!! :)

It is in Wollombi - nestled between a sandstone church and a bric & brac shop. So, nothing very significant to the picture (that I'm aware of) other than a great photo opportunity. Wollombi is one of my favourite places! Known and treasured for thousands of years as a meeting place by the original peoples, Wollombi later became a stopping place on the Great North Road, built by convicts in the 1830s and used by early settlers. Wollombi Valley is far removed from the fast pace of city life. But the tranquility of the valley belies the vibrancy of the life of the inhabitants. The community's artistic and social activities show enormous diversity and creativity with a busy calendar for residents and visitors alike. Wollombi Valley is famous for its aboriginal engravings, museum, historical buildings, convict artifacts, boutique wineries, market days, wonderful theatrical productions & art exhibitions and Doctor Jurd's Jungle Juice at the local tavern.

Far removed from the bustle of Sydney, yet only 90 minutes away. Wollombi is an ideal getaway location.

From Sydney (1.5hr) take F3 to Peats Ridge exit then follow Tourist Route 33. From Gosford and Newcastle (1hr) head for Cessnock then take Wollombi Road. Visit www.wollombivalley.com

How about you take us on a pictorial ride through NZ - let's see if we can get it right? (Never been to NZ myself though, but maybe someone else can help out with the answer).

Wollombi eh?? :) Church grounds eh?? :( So I was close but not quite there. :D In that case I do not admit total defeat….. :lol:

Thanks for the info, whenever I get the chance to visit Sydney I'll spend some time driving to that area. :(

Yeah, I’ll post a few New Zealand pics in future. Apart from general knowledge, travel guides and the Internet to be used as sources, I have already noticed that some of the members on this forum have spent some time in New Zealand. I am sure that in time more SA Kiwis will also follow this forum with great interest and may recognise a few places.

• 2 weeks later...

RAAI-RAAI #3

Kan ENIGE iemand raai waar DIE foto geneem is?? :ilikeit:

Eeerrr . . . . . Alice Springs?

Eeerrr . . . . . Alice Springs?

He he!! :D

How 'bout you show us some of SA...... I've been there twice, so I'll give it my best shot... :D

Never seen it before :)

Must be on the coast somewhere. :lol::blush:;)

You funny man, I'll eat you last! So you give up then? ^_^

Ti's the Opera House and surrounding harbour area in one of

the most beautiful cities of the world: Sydney!!

(For those who STILL don't know :ilikeit: )

OK, I showed you mine, now show me yours! :whome: ..........

Ohhhh, Yeah.... I thought it looked kinda familiar. :ilikeit:

Yes, Sydney is a stunning city.

Once I have figured how to post a pic I will show you mine. :ilikeit:

Once I have figured how to post a pic I will show you mine. :ilikeit:

Just be careful where you point that camera! :ilikeit:

On a serious note, this is how you attach a photo:

Click on "add reply"

Scroll down to below the white block where you type your message

You'll see an option (just above all the smilies): File attachments. Click on Browse

This will take you to your computer's files - select the picture you want and double click on it

This will bring you back to this screen

Click on "Add this attachment" next to the "Browse" button

Another screen will be added below where you've just clicked where the file you've selected is indicated

Click on the block next to the filename (something to the likes of "add this file")

This will put the attachment in the blank block where you type your message - it does not show the photo, it only shows eg attachment#23

Type what you want below this and go to the bottom to "add reply" as usual. Your post with your picture will now show.

Hope I made some sense........ :sleep1:

Hehe :ilikeit:

Thanks for the info. Now I need to find a pic suitable for this forum, you know, one that is not to hard to ID.

Maybe NZHigh will recognize this area?

Edited by Madelein

Hey Madelein! Bly om jou ook hier raak te loop! Dit is darem 'n mooi foto hoor - het jy dit self geneem?

Ek wil so graag NZ toe gaan - spesefiek die Suid Eiland, maar ek wil dit sien wanneer dit op die mooiste is (watter tyd van die jaar sou dit wees)? Ek wil dit ook sien as dit sneeu..... Dalk moet ek maar 2 keer gaan, of 3 keer... ;)

Hi Rieke,

The South Island and the North Island of NZ are both beautiful!

If you want to see snow, it is best to go in August September. Best month for summer on both islands is February.

If you want pics let me know and I can write you a CD.

SAS

Edited by SASydneysider

Hi Riekie!

Yes, I took this photo while visiting the Northern Island (forced holiday). The Forgotten Highway is a very scenic road - On the way from New Plymouth to Lake Taupu. You must fill up your car to do this, as there is no petrol available for 150km! But beautiful and a must see...

Madelein

• 1 year later...

Gedog ek kry die een weer bietjie aan die gang..... Waar is hierdie foto geneem?.......

• 2 weeks later...

JIp, die een het die mense tuis laat kopkrap. Is die foto geneem in suid afrika, of australie?

RAAI-RAAI #1

I've decided to start this thread on the forum (similiar to the one on sacanada) to show the folks back home our beautiful country and share information of all the wonderful places. (Thanks for the idea Hendie!)

Can you guess where this photo was taken?

Tips:

Historic Relic on the banks of the MacDonald river, 105km Northwest of Sydney - You have to take a ferry and a bumpy road to get there. The village was opened up for settlement in 1842 largely because it had become an important stopping point for people wanting to ship their goods down the Hawkesbury River.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitief in Australië. Dit is geneem op Churchill Island, net langs Philip Island, Suid van Melbourne VIC. :ilikeit: Die hele eiland is 'n museum en dit voel of mens "time travel" terug na die verlede gedoen het! Dit is 'n fantasties plek ("child friendly") om 'n piekniek te gaan hou onder die reuse bome met die plaasdiere om jou of mens kan 'n lekker yskoue bier by die kaffeetjie geniet terwyl jy oor die plaas uitkyk.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd try to get this one going again - seeing as there's so many travellers and keen photographers on the forum.

Whoever gets it right can post the next one - or pass if you only want to play, which then leave it open to anyone else.

I'll kick it off. Where is this?