Working in OZ with NZ PR

Die Viljoens

Hi everybody hopefully you will be able to help on this one:

Can one work in OZ if you have NZ Permanent Residency?

Are you allowed to look for work in OZ and do you think that employers consider you?

Thanks

I am pretty sure you need to be a New Zealand citizen to be allowed to work and live in Australia. Your best bet would to either become a NZ citizen or apply for a work visa for Australia.

here is a link to more information http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/17nz.htm

Candice

Sorry Viljoens, it is just as CandiceM stated, you have to be a NZ citizen to work in Oz. Unfortunately NZ permanent residence will not get you in the door.

Yes citizens only. Australia is unlikely to hand over it's immigration policy over to NZ. It's more likely to be the other way round. At the moment it is easier to gain entry to nz. I predict a tightening up of NZ requirents, something like what happened in 2001. Possibly the removal of medicare and education benefits.

Thanks eveybody!

We have NZ PR and believe me it was not easy, I don't think it is as easy as it was a few years ago. Our problem (or more mine than DH) is the fact that we have been applying for work in NZ from SA since Jan (I know that is not the way to do it) but so far NOTHING ! I want to get out of SA asap and therefore I tought we should give OZ a try again. It might sound stupid because we have spend 1000's already.

What do you guys think we should do? some advice would be nice :ilikeit: I can't tell you how much we want to leave SA if only employers knows that!

January is a really bad time to apply for roles in NZ and Australia. Australia and NZ have their summer holidays AFTER Xmas, (There is a public holiday in Wellington on the 2nd Mon in Jan, one in Auckland on the 3rd Mon I seem to recall. Australia has Australia Day on 26 Jan) not BEFORE like South Africa.

It is also a very brave employer that hires "sight unseen". Think about it, would you hire an Australian or New Zealander in South Africa before they had even set foot in the country? It also depends on what sort of profession you are in.

There is a whole section in this forum about finding work, so best have a look there. One thing is that both NZ and Australia have a different style of CV so best have another look how they are set out and compare to local (Australia and NZ standards).

Seek.co.nz and Seek.com.au will be good places to start.

As regards NZ or Australia. They are both very livable countries and I'm proud to be a citizen of both. NZ citizens (one can become a NZ citizen after 5 years residence in NZ, if you already have PR) can currently live and work without restriction in Australia. There are some restrictions on benefits available to NZ citizens. However for a NZer to become an Australian citizen they must be granted Australian PR and then complete the residence requirements (currently 4 years). To get to this a NZ has to jump through the same hoops as any other person applying for residence in Australia, the only difference is that they can do it "on shore". This can become an issue for a NZ if they are over 45 years old. BTW this is a MASS simplification.

In my humble opinion NZ has become very lax in granting work permits and subsequent PR to people who originally arrive in NZ "on holiday". This may have consequences to NZers wishing to move to Australia in the future. Australia tightened up on benefits NZers could claim in Australia in 2001, so there is a precedent on this type of thing. While NZers have a high participation in the work force in Australia, they did have a reputation as "Bondi Beach Dole Bludgers, and hence the tightening up. Australia has always been concerned about NZ as a "back door" to Australia, and I think there were particular concerns about Pacific Islanders, who automatically can become NZ citizens when moving to NZ (stand to correction here, they may have to wait 5 years now). Another reason why Australia tightened up on this in 2001. I guess the one thing that is pretty certain is that there may be more tightening up by Australia, but that there is little chance of the requirements been relaxed. This is why I made apoint of getting Australian PR and citizenship when I moved to Australia.

You will have to consider all these things in making your decision. I don't think it will be any easier finding a role in Australia compared to NZ however.

GoodLuck

Archived