Anybody in Canberra??

bluesteele

Hi all,

In light of the new announcement, my husband and I are considering alternate options.

We're on a non-CSL Family Sponsored 176 and applied in October 2008. Our agent has advised that the application won't even be looked at in 2010.

The only other option we have is to go State sponsored but the only state accepting the main applicant's skills is ACT. We have no info on ACT. Is anybody there? Can anybody give us some info about lifestyle, job availability, weather etc?

My husband is in IT and I believe it wouldn't be a big problem for him to get a job. Myself on the other hand am in fashion merchandising and I don't believe there's a big market for that in ACT so we're wary that we'd end up being a 1 income family (no kids yet - just us).

We have our hopes set on Brisbane but are starting to think that perhaps starting in ACT isn't a bad idea as at least we'd be in Oz rather than waiting around indefinitely.

We are wary that it would only be a stepping stone to Brisbane and we're concerned that it may not be worth uprooting ourselves to move to place short term. We had hoped that the next move we make would be our last.

We're currently in the UK and both have jobs but are hating the weather and waiting around in "limbo" for the 176 to come through (if it does - it's not guaranteed).

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks very much for the link. I'll have a look through it.

I was also hoping to get some personal opinions from people who have experienced Canberra / ACT?

I'm sure that the aussie will be online soon enough and you will have all the info you need ... I land on the 18th so could only tell you then ... but what I can tell you is the following:

I applied for ACT SS in april and ever since then been researching Canberra. I have never been there but after all the work put in I cannot imagine myself any where else ...

I recently had a possible opportunity to go to Brisbane ... then I though uuurrgghh that is REDS country .... rather be supporting the Brumbies .... :wacko:

Start with the following websites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canberra

http://www.liveincanberra.com.au/

http://www.inthecitycanberra.com.au

http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/

Hi

Well we've been in Canberra for 5 mnths now and we love it!

From the jobs side I can't help as Deon and I are different fields to you guys.

Canberra itsself is different .It maybe the Capital but doesn't feel like it!

I see you r from Durbs. If I were to compare Canberra would be more like Pmb than Durbs. But with so much to do and see.

The weather -we only know the Summer and it's hot-- u need aircon in any property you buy/rent.

Apparently winter is freezing but I'm sure it is not as cold as the UK!

Hi,

We have been in Canberra for a year now, after moving from Perth. Although it has definately taken us longer to settle here, then it did in Perth (partly because the new country honeymoon period had worn off) Canberra is great. The city itself is really fantastically situated in terms of its distance to Melbourne (600km) Sydney (300km) Snowy Mountains (150km) and Batemans bay (100km).

Job availibility in Canberra is high, its generally considered a pretty wealthy state, because of the many many gov employers here (Capital City). Its gross weekly wage is higher then the national ave and its unemployment rate is consistently among the lowest in the nation

Well I don't know about the specifics of your job, I do know that Canberrans like to shop, and they are wealthy. Here are a number of boutique shops in the malls, and failing that you get a job in your preffered field, I am pretty sure with a merchandising background you could probally get a job in a number of different fields.

The weather, well sums it up pretty well summer=HOT, winter=FREEZING! But grey skys will be a thing of the past. Even on the coldest days of the year the SKY is blue and the sun is shining. The climate is also much drier and humidity is pretty rare. Make sure your rental has ducted heating and cooling and you should be fine.

Lifestyle is pretty good here. There are tons of things to do on weekends, good restaurants, good parks and as I have already mentioned pretty easy to go exploring Sydney etc on the weekends.

As for uprooting and moving and thinking that this will be the place you settle, i have learnt that nothing is definate. Just when you think you will be in a place forever, something comes up and you are off again. For me, I think that the benefits of getting into Oz, would outweight a possible move on the horizon. It would also give you the opportunity to explore Canberra and the surrounds, and enable you to start working in Oz and gaining Oz experience sooner.

Good Luck with your decision!! Here is a link to live in Canberra as well, which has some good information.

http://www.liveincanberra.com.au/

Find Pine & Riana Pienaar on the forum, send them a PM, they have made a "report" on Canberra and will be able to help you with information.

We have been in Canberra just over a year now as well, and I agree with what Candice has said.

Just get over here and then work on the next plan of action you think you need to take.

Good luck

Thanks so much guys!

I do love this forum. It always amazes me how helpful people are here. Thanks again.

We were discussing this last night and our biggest concern is that my husband is in It and by the sounds of it 45% of jobs available are in IT which might make it quite competitive and difficult to get a job. (I am speculating here). It also seems that most IT jobs are in government departments and a person needs a security clearance to do this which only citizens can get?

Can anybody provide any info on this clearance thing? Is it an issue?

We had a look on some employment agency sites and almost all IT jobs called for it which is a great concern.

If we go State Sponsored, then we're restricted to Canberra for 2 years. Not finding work is a major concern!

It also seems that most IT jobs are in government departments and a person needs a security clearance to do this which only citizens can get?

Can anybody provide any info on this clearance thing? Is it an issue?

If we go State Sponsored, then we're restricted to Canberra for 2 years. Not finding work is a major concern!

Please see the following post http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=26453 . There is a bit of info re the security clearance. I have not been consider for 2 jobs because of the clearance. Apparently with contract work you can get around it. But it is challenging, It you are the only person and have awesome skills they might waive the requirement.

Later

T

Bluesteel

We also changed to a 176 SS for canberra and though we would live out the two years and leave. Not so ....... this is a beautiful place to live in and we are definately staying. Only once you are here will the agent look at finding a work for you. We visited 3 month ago and nothing came of it. Now that we are here and immediately available they are interested. It is much simpler than Sydney etc. and the ajustment for us and the kids is much easier.

I have heard,,,,,, that if you cant find a job here and you really tried, you can write to the sponsors and advise them of the situation and that there is work elsewhere(Sydney) available and they will "release" you to go. Dont know if it is true or not.

Best of luck

Hugo

Hugoboss is right, you can be excused from the SS if you are unable to find work, but there is an "unofficial" 3 month period during which they really want to see that you did try, I was approached for a position in Adelaide less than a week after I landed, and was told that wasn't long enough to be excused.

Archived