LSD BRISBANE NEED ADVISE PLEASE

Stranded

Hi Brisbane People

It is with great excitement that we have decided to come look around Brisbane, seeing that Hubby would love to stay in Melbourne and me in Brisbane. So in May we will be spending 6 days in Melbourne and 6 days in Brisbane.

I need your best advice please?

Landing in Melbourne in May 2010, with the new VAustralia airline.

Just the 2 of us, and Hubby is very bad about hygiene and safety. Me, well I am easy...

As always, money is extremely tight so I need your money saving tips!

1) Campervan or car rental, money wise best option?

- Do we even need to rent a car with your public transport system?

- Where will we sleep over with the campervan?

- Would public transport be good enough to use during the day, or can we travel and park the van during the day?

2) Caravan parks with chalets, are they safe and clean, which ones is best central if we look around?

3) Getting to Brisbane from Melbourne and back, what is fin. best option, keeping time in mind?

Any advise would be welcome? The net is just to big and to much, I struggle to follow, so the dumb one is coming to you for help please?

Stranded

Hi Stranded

Melbourne to Brisbane is a little more than 2000 Km. Airfares approx $250 pp return (look for specials). However traveling up from Melbourne by car would enable you to stop off along the way and see Sydney as well. But it will mean taking days out of your trip (Approx 4 days just travelling if you had to return to Melbourne)

There are some lovely Caravan Parks with chalets in Brisbane & the ones we have seen are clean & are safe. I would say that in most cases Public Transport is good enough to get you around, but again depending on what distances you are wanting to travel & area's you want to see. In and around town you would use the public transport system and will feel safe using them as well.

Depending on what your preferences are with regards to area's ie In Brisbane do you want to be near the bay, or do you want to be near the beach (Sunshine or Gold Coast which are approx 1hr away from Brisbane Central) Going to the Sunshine or Gold Coast I would suggest hiring a car.

I've never been to Melbourne, but have been told that the weather is very much like Cape Town (can have 4 seasons in 1 day) and in Brisbane the weather is alot warmer (gets bloody hot in Summer) If you are looking for a hot climate then Brisbane is definately the place to come too.

I'm sure you will be getting alot of tips and good advice from this forum, so good luck.

Hi Kento

Thank you for your time and advise! We do not have all the answeres as to where in Brisbane exactly. Would love to live the coastal life again as I am from Dbn originally. But would need to find out what areas in Brisbane would be safe areas to live in. And then thoses would be the areas, we would love to visit!

So if you can add advise ontop of the given already, I would realy appreciate it.

Would have to do the flights, as the drive would take precious time away from our LSD. Would Virgin Blue be the cheapest option, or are there more airlines that I need to find out about.

Sorry for the 70000 questions!!

Thanks

Stranded

Hi Kento

Thank you for your time and advise! We do not have all the answeres as to where in Brisbane exactly. Would love to live the coastal life again as I am from Dbn originally. But would need to find out what areas in Brisbane would be safe areas to live in. And then thoses would be the areas, we would love to visit!

Just remember that Brisbane is not actually on the coast. Gold Coast, Surfer's Paradise I think is very like Durban city.

In my opinion camping or using a campervan in a great idea, the campsites are clean and if its out of season really cheap.

Here is a link that will have lots of info... http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/brisbane/

I know Michwill on the forum recently stayed in Brisbane in chalets at holiday accomodation, maybe PM her from some info.

All the best with your trip....

Hi

I am currently in Brisbane for 2 weeks to activate my visa. My experience of Melbourne was overwhelming, especially the trams in the city, I did not feel comfortable there. I looked at motorhomes option, but for family of 4 it really worked out too much. I decided to rent a car; have a look on VroomVroom, which gives you good prices. I stay in Springtime Gardens Caravan Park in one of those self catering motorhomes, it is clean and you can make your own food. I paid in total 1100AUD for 2 weeks, and we are 4 people, this is also including linen.

Thanks Bullebak

I will have a look at Springtime Gardens Caravan Park, we are looking for a selfcatering unit, to cook ourselves (It will save on the expences)

So thank you.

I will also look at Vroom Vroom?

Any advise on what to look for when renting a car? What should be included and what not, and what hidden charges or deposits is in this?

Stranded

We went on a camper trip in December, and I can definitely recommend Brisbane Holiday Village in Helensvale (inland but quite central - four minutes by car to the bus station, and from there a relaxing ride into the city). Helensvale is quite a nice area, and close to many other attractive residential areas.

On the Gold Coast, I can recommend Treasure Island Holiday Park, on the Gold Coast Highway (http://www.treasureisland.com.au). It's not ON the coast, but almost next door to Harbour Town discount shopping centre. All the caravan parks have chalets (usually three or four different types) available, and although we only made use of one in Sydney, they all seemed very nice. If you plan to stay in one or more of the Big4 resorts, it might be worth your while to join Big4 (http://www.big4.com.au) to get a 10% discount on your stay (doesn't sound like much, until you do the conversion to ZAR). The Big4 parks are all a little upmarket, and the site is also very helpful.

You can Google the different parks on http://www.big4.com.au to get an idea of the locations.

Thanks Bees

I will have a look at them! By the looks of everyones reply it seems that we will need to rent a car in Brisbane. Is that correct?

Thanks

Stranded

Hi

When we arrived in Jan, we booked into the Brisbane Holiday Village www.brisbaneholidayvillage.com.au and it was very nice, we had no complaints. It is also a caravan park too. Their prices range for different cabins so maybe go onto their site and you can email them and they will send you all the info.

There is a lovely swimming pool area, tennis courts, putt putt, play area for children, restuarant to eat in or do takeaway, laundry room and you also get clean linen once a week. It is self catering with everything you need.

Not too far from the Gold Coast or City either.

I would recommend it to anyone wanting to do an LSD or even as we did, a base to first arriving in the country.

Michelle

Hi Stranded,

I can see you guys appear to be very concerned about security etc, and like any where in the world Australia is not immune to crime but I think you guys will be pleasantly suprised that you are going to be able to relax alot more than you currently are. We stay in Ormiston/Raby Bay near the bay and my wife and I go walking and riding around our neighbourhood at 8 or 9 o clock at night and feel very safe. Its wonderful.

I remember when we first arrived here in March 09, it was our 3rd day in Oz & we went for a walk & it was starting to get dark. I was quiet scared as we were walking near some wooded area's ; and we wouldnt do this in South Africa; I was fearful that we would get mugged or something worse. But I'm very happy to say we love going for walks now at night and although you still keep an eye out we are very relaxed and enjoy ourselves. This is what life is meant to be like.You will also get a shock that most house dont have 6 foot fences and electric fences on top of them either :thumbdown:

I think you guys are going to enjoy it. Brisbane is big, I was quiet surprised to see how big it is. In terms of living on the coast, many people live on the Gold & Sunshine Coasts and commute into Brisbane for work. The traffic can be hectic especially as there are major road works going on at the moment, but they enjoy doing this as they have the beach on their doorsteps . Others live closer to Brisbane and are happy to travel up or down the coast on the weekends. Depends on the individuals really.

Around Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast are many South Africans. In a recent Property Survey, South Africans are the biggest Property Buyers of all nationalities that are purchasing property in and around Surfers Paradise. The Average Property Price in the greater Brisbane area is close on $500,000

for a 4 bedroom house (the 4th b/room is normally a small study)

PM me & I'll give you some area's that maybe worth looking at when you come to Brisbane.

Hi Kento and Michwill

Thank you for your advise and willingness for me to PM you. Will defnitly be taking you up on that offer.

Regards

Stranded

Archived