herby: Finally made the decision

herby

Hi all

I'm a newbie with this forum, but not with the idea of moving - it's been in the back of my mind for the last decade or so, but I could always manage the next straw.

A discussion about the future for our children with a friend last year was the last nudge I needed to make up my mind, much to the delight of my wife who's been wanting to move for as long as I've known her.

Since then, I've read and researched and read some more. The forum has been a fantastic source of the kind of info you don't find on government websites and that you can only get from someone who has been there and done it.

I'm in IT and will probably either be applying for a 175 MODL (Linux) or a 475 since we have cousins in a few different areas in Aus. That is of course, assuming the ACS approves my application - unless I find a job offer from someone who will sponsor me for a 457 in the next 3 months or so.

My son is 8 and will probably be staying in SA with his mother - I can easily say this is the most difficult part of the whole thing for me.

My daughter is turning 14 soon - I'm hoping we can get the process timed to get into Aus in time for her to start at her new school next year with the normal school year, but we know that you can't predict the time-frame, so it might be mid-2011, it might even be year-end, but we hope sooner...

I'm using an agent for my ACS application, but will probably do the actual visa application online, referencing the collective wisdom of the forum.

Luckily we're starting this whole process with some of the time-consuming check boxes completed already - like the IELTS, the birth certificates, academic transcripts, etc... based on reading last year what we might need.

see you online...

Good luck Herby, may your path forward be a smooth one!

Welcome Herby to the forum and all the best with the journey ahead.

Why not join us Jo'burgers at the forum get together - there will be plenty of forumites there and

you can pick the brains of people who are in different stages of the process, meet new people and

generally have a great time.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=27297

Hopefully see you.

Regards

S

Thanks Serendipity - I found that post and sent it to my wife at about 9:30 this morning :cowboy:

I might not be able to make it myself though - I'm doing pool work with a group of open water students that day, but maybe J can come through.

Welcome Herby, hope we can help make you move easier.

Good luck and wishing you lots of patience and endurance (Not mine though, I'm all out).

Welcome!

You have come to the correct place!

Hi Herby :cowboy:

A deffinate welcome. This is a great place to be. Where in Australia will you be relocating to?

Cheers ;)

Kobus

Hi all

I'm a newbie with this forum, but not with the idea of moving - it's been in the back of my mind for the last decade or so, but I could always manage the next straw.

A discussion about the future for our children with a friend last year was the last nudge I needed to make up my mind, much to the delight of my wife who's been wanting to move for as long as I've known her.

Since then, I've read and researched and read some more. The forum has been a fantastic source of the kind of info you don't find on government websites and that you can only get from someone who has been there and done it.

I'm in IT and will probably either be applying for a 175 MODL (Linux) or a 475 since we have cousins in a few different areas in Aus. That is of course, assuming the ACS approves my application - unless I find a job offer from someone who will sponsor me for a 457 in the next 3 months or so.

My son is 8 and will probably be staying in SA with his mother - I can easily say this is the most difficult part of the whole thing for me.

My daughter is turning 14 soon - I'm hoping we can get the process timed to get into Aus in time for her to start at her new school next year with the normal school year, but we know that you can't predict the time-frame, so it might be mid-2011, it might even be year-end, but we hope sooner...

I'm using an agent for my ACS application, but will probably do the actual visa application online, referencing the collective wisdom of the forum.

Luckily we're starting this whole process with some of the time-consuming check boxes completed already - like the IELTS, the birth certificates, academic transcripts, etc... based on reading last year what we might need.

see you online...

Hi Kobus

We're not sure - my wife is keen on a small town - I don't really mind myself except that I don't know how much call they have in small towns for infrastructure solution architects - which is my career path of preference. But I’m flexible and can work as an IT support technician if I need to :cowboy:

Personally, I think I'd prefer one of the larger cities on the East coast - Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne (yes, I know it's technically not east-coast, but it's on the eastern side of Australia).

Perhaps we can find middle ground by living on the outskirts of one of the bigger cities - can't say I'll be looking forward to the commute, but I'm used to Jhb traffic at the moment and it's not unusual to take 2 hours to travel 15km.

The 'where' is definitely our biggest issue at the moment - we're not too fussed with the weather, having lived all over in SA although the wife and daughter like the idea of being coastal while I prefer inland - so we've got some hectic negotiating to do ;)

I guess it's also going to depend on jobs - IT is biggest in the larger metropolitan centers, and since I don't have a job to go to, that's going to be a big part of our decision.

cheers

Archived