Is the West " that bad"?

MichelleO

I agree with Kangaroo that you will find a lot of South Africans everywhere. I also agree that you do not have to stick to the South Africans for friends. We have made South African and great Australian and Pommie friends. South Africans somehow just think the same (mostly) regarding housing and schooling. It was a safe bet for us if you don't know the city (do not have any friends/ family). Doncaster pocket also have the lowest crime rates in the city and that is what motivates a lot of people to stay there I think.

Port Melbourne is very nice - if you are here on a year contract, do not have a family and have a lot of money to buy there one day (it is close to the city and sea).... One thing I learnt here is that you will ten to one end up buying in the area where you rented in if you have kids. That is where you and your kids will make your friends, where you will know the shops, doctors etc.

I cannot comment on the East/ West debate. The East is pretty nice so far for us. Settled in very nicely (ons dam se eende....) :ilikeit:

I cannot comment on the East/ West debate. The East is pretty nice so far for us. Settled in very nicely (ons dam se eende....) ;)

Couldn't have said it better Ellao! :hug:

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the 50 and 60s, the west was full of factories and some pretty rough old housing. It earned a negative reputation mainly because of this. But nowadays, many western suburbs have turned the tables - Port Melbourne for example is a very trendy (and expensive!) area. The south western areas, around Laverton and Point Cook etc, had air force bases back in the 70s/80s - they've since gone and residential areas have sprung up all over the area - these are all pretty new and are very nice places to live. Sunbury was pretty much a rural area back in the 60s, and was known mainly for a home for mentally ill people back then. But all that's gone now and Sunbury is a satellite suburb that has most everything you need - shopping centre, cinemas etc etc.

The current areas that are seen by most Melburnians as problem areas in the west are Sunshine, St Albans, Footscray ... those areas. Go for a drive through all these areas to form your own opinion. Not all of it's bad, indeed some of it may look quite nice, but there are some bloody ugly areas out there too!

Well, I've decided to go take a look at two properties on view tomorrow, so that I can at least get a better feel for the size of houses in Point Cook. I'll take pictures and give Michelle a break down of the places.

Of course, if we really like one of them... then we may end up moving into an empty house for a few weeks while we wait for our container... :ilikeit:

Telling you now... once Point Cook has proper vegetation (nice big trees), it'll be a really, really nice place to be, and hopefully they will add another bus route to the 2 that kind of cover the north and eastern side of the suburb.

-G

Hi G,

I don't think Point Cook will disappoint tomorrow.

Shout if you need anything.

Nats

Hey thats wonderful news!..looking forward to meeting you guys...we also feel that point cook has very good potential,,,with it being so close to the cbd its just too convenient to pass up if you work cbd or north of the cbd.

Archived