Need some advice re directions in RSA

rossouwe

Hello all

I am pulling my hair out.

I am going to SA to visit the fam, and in the mean time, my wife has invited two other couples. So now I have to do the whole travel thing.

We are headed to the Kruger and then to Mozambique (ponta da oura). My plan is to leave the Kruger as far South as possible, either Malelane or Croc brige, and then cruise to the Kosi bay border. The reason for this is that we will have a rental car, and it will not be a 4wd (they seem impossible to get), so we want to park the thing at Kosi and get a transfer to where we will be staying.

All the bloody online maps directs me from either Malelane or Corc bridge around Swaziland and it seems that it will take around 11hrs. I really don't want to be driving that much. When looking at google maps, it seems I can cut through Swaziland, and looks a lot shorter at least. (Seems like you can turn right just before the Komatipoort border and cruise through Swaziland).

Has anyone done this before, or am I just being stupid? If so, can you please let me know which way you went, and how long it took you to get to the border. I would especially like to hear from those who have gone through Swaziland as no maps can give me an indication.

Thank you all!

RE

Why not go through Komatipoort border post?

Because I won't have a 4wd and apparently you can't get to Ponta from up there without a 4wd.

Aah. Ok. I don't know the road to Ponto from there only to Maputo.

I missed the Ponto bit in you first post. Sorry

Yeah it's a bit of a pain as it doesn't seem like it is a common thing to do.

Have not come across anyone that has been able to tell me whether it is doable or not.

Hello all

I am pulling my hair out.

I am going to SA to visit the fam, and in the mean time, my wife has invited two other couples. So now I have to do the whole travel thing.

We are headed to the Kruger and then to Mozambique (ponta da oura). My plan is to leave the Kruger as far South as possible, either Malelane or Croc brige, and then cruise to the Kosi bay border. The reason for this is that we will have a rental car, and it will not be a 4wd (they seem impossible to get), so we want to park the thing at Kosi and get a transfer to where we will be staying.

All the bloody online maps directs me from either Malelane or Corc bridge around Swaziland and it seems that it will take around 11hrs. I really don't want to be driving that much. When looking at google maps, it seems I can cut through Swaziland, and looks a lot shorter at least. (Seems like you can turn right just before the Komatipoort border and cruise through Swaziland).

Has anyone done this before, or am I just being stupid? If so, can you please let me know which way you went, and how long it took you to get to the border. I would especially like to hear from those who have gone through Swaziland as no maps can give me an indication.

Thank you all!

RE

We travelled from South Coast to Nelspruit 3 weeks ago via Swaziland. Indeed it would be MUCH shorter travelling through Swaziland. From Kruger Malelane gate you can enter Swaziland at Jeppe's Reef/Matsoma or Kruger Krokodilbrug gate you enter Mananga. I would recommend the Mananga Border post. As you leave Krokodilbrug you drive directly throught the town of Komatipoort. Once through the town you travel along the N4 motorway towards Moz. After approx 5km or so you turn right off the N4 to the Swaziland Manga/Mananga borderpost (50km). I would suggest you travel through Swaziland along the Lebomboberge. As you look at a map of Swaziland it will be the right hand side. This is more scenic, very little traffic and you do not drive through the capital. Carry on towards Big Bend and exit at Lavumisa Border post in the south. This is very close to Pongola. You will exit at the norhtern side of the Jozini dam. From exit travel along the motorway south (Towards Richards Bay). Along the motorway you will get the turnoff to cross the Jozini damwall and carry on to Kosi Bay. You do not need a 4x4 for this route at all.

To answer you question: 72km from Krokodilbrug to Managa Gate. We drove less than 2 hours through Swaziland along the route I described above. From Jozini to Kosi Bay can not remember as I travelled there too long ago...but I can assure you it is BY FAR the shortest route.

Here is a link of Map of Swaziland

http://www.africandestiny.com/swaziland1.jpg

You only pay R50 for the vehicle to enter Swaziland. The roads are in very goods condition although one section of 10km or so had potholes. Otherwise a breeze.

Mella you rock!!!

Thank you so much. That is great advice.

Could you by any chance remember how long it took to cross the Swazi border. According to Google maps it seems that travelling between the two borders (Swazi and Mozam) it will be around 3.5hrs.

Based on what you wrote, it will cut out around 2.5 to 3hrs.

Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it.

Not sure I understand your question! It took as approx 20mins at the actual border posts....it was not that busy. So that makes maybe 45 mins. Tip: When entering Swaziland and Leaving SA you need to fill in slips of paper. Take another blank set from both countries or ask them for the correct forms to fill in on the road as this will save time when exiting...If I remember correctly for arrival and departure it is the same form. It took us 2 hours once through customs to drive through swaziland to other post. I must admit I was pushing the speed limit but like I said the roads were very quiet, no pedestrians or traffic and in good condition.

Thank you Mella, yes i wanted to know how long it took at the border post ie, paperwork etc. So 20 mins is not bad at all.

Again, thank you very much!

SA Passport holders do not need a visa for Swaziland...not sure about Aussie though.

I can pretty much only by hearsay confirm the road in Swaziland is not bad at all.

The road from Swazi border to Jozini is also in good shape, although I don't think you get to go through Pongola though.

The road from Jozini to the mozambique border can be done in normal car, but the road is in bad shape and you will have to keep the speed down as there are some serious pot holes. Been through there in November and a dive buddie lost all 4 rims on his BMW. So, the slower you go, the less damage.

And if you only go to Ponta, you can do it in any bakkie (non 4x4), the key is ground clearance. I have done so twice, just stick to main road/route and don't venture further out than Ponta. You will need 4x4 between ponta and maputo though.

Thank you Biker

I will be getting a transfer from the border at Kosi so should be ok from there.

We have driven both.

Swaziland route as described above, is good, but remember there are not places to eat/decent toilets/ cellphone reception like you (sort of) would get via Piet Retief. Also, the Swazi speed limit is 80km/h.

Most important is that you remember to organise with the rental company if you want to take rented car across the border....else you won't have any choice but to drive the longer route around Swaziland!

Thank you Bosmans

Yes, rental company is aware that we are crossing into Swazi.

Eating and drinking is not such an issue, I will hopefully be able to just drive through, they will all just have to hold it in for 2 to 3 hours.

Archived