Bali vs South Africa

Joeemm

Hi all

My wife and I are considering an overseas holiday this year and we're sort of down to either going to Bali or back to SA for a visit.

Just wondered what people though of Bali as a place to go with a toddler son vs South Africa?

Appreciate any recommendations/experiences

Joseph

Its must be so exciting planning for the trip - my 2c, either one would be great but depends where your

family is and if you want to take that into consideration.

I would rather do SA than Bali. Just my 2c....Bali was ok...

I haven't been to Bali but my Dad and his wife just came back and say it is not as good as they expected, very third world, dirty and the liquor and food VERY expensive. Also the beaches where they were were dirty and they were not able to swim and they both came back with Bali Belli - real bad case. They did say they had stunning accomodation for the price they paid and the people were VERY FIRENDLY and keen to help though. I also had a colleague come back about 3 weeks ago and she too said it was very dirty and pretty much the same as my Dad AND she too came back with Bali Belli. She said it wasn't great for her kids except maybe the zoo. I would rather go back to SA, but then again maybe they oth just had bad luck.

I would definitely disagree with food being expensive in Bali. But I would also say it depends on what you want from holiday when picking between SA and say Bali. If you want to see family and friends then SA is the obvious choice. If you want to experience different country and lifestyle then definitely Bali! And if you are into water sports i.e. surfing the Bali is the go :unsure:

I have being there a couple times on surf expeditions and even when I traveled from SA we lived like kings and we found the food and local bear dirt cheap (spending ZAR). Clear warm tropical water, friendly people and I have always found it save.

Just my 2c.

Depends on what type of holiday you want? Beach holiday.....then most probably Bali. Having said that, I would rather go to Phuket than Bali. my 2c worth! :rolleyes:

I have just returned from a magical trip to Indonesia- NOT BALI

We went to LOMBOK for two weeks. Lombok is another island of Indonesia east of Bali. Bali, and especially Kuta, is not my cup of tea. dirty and commercial and expensive comes to mind.

We spent two glorius weeks at the NOVOTEL LOMBOK. It was VERY good value for money, and the most magical experience. please look at www.tripadvisor.com and put NOVOTEL LOMBOK in the search engine and you will see - not just me with raving reviews.

One flies into Bali, and then hop n a fastboat (2 .5 hours) and you arrive in paradise.

I can not recommend this highly enough.

I would definitely disagree with food being expensive in Bali.

I agree, Bali is defintely not expensive.Hotels are wonderful , and in my opinion if you are going to Bali for the " beaches" then dont bother. The beaches in Australia are 100 times better.

But having said that the beaches in Sanur and Nusa Dua are very nice. I would not recommend that you stay in KUTA, stay in Nusa Dua or Seminyak.

There are wonderful hotel that cater for children and toddlers. The Club med in Nusa is the only hotel that caters for infants and has an infants club.

Food is extremely cheap in Bali, Massages and spas are an absolute bargain and the shopping is wonderful. Waterbom Park is great for a day trip with the family.

The Safari park is intersting and there are some lovely temples to visit - if you are into cultural things. A trip out to the volcanoe is defintly a must and there are some stunning rice terraces.

If you want a holiday where you can relax and be spolit and its not going to break the bank, then Bali is a good choice.

Please bear in mind that it is 3rd world, so it is a little " dirty" , but that why things are so cheap.

The Balinese are wonderfully friendly people and the seafood is great.

Certainly a place to visit at some stage

We stayed at Club Med Bali - all inclusive so no worries about money for meals and drinks. Nice enough resort and caters well for the kids.

Fiji sounds amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would do SA rather than Bali. it woudl make more sense to see friends and family. but do book a week or so somewhere for 'proper' holiday (Plett/Game Reserve) so you dont just stay with friends/family

bali is considered to be 'dangerous' at the moment due to potential terrorist attack (although the chance of this happening versus being affected by crime in SA is probably very small)

what you coudl also do is fly Air singapore and then stay a few days in singapore on your way there and back

E

Archived