Weather?

Garrick

Ok... so yesterday I read an article in The Age that was going on at the temperature averaging 44 degrees.

Um... is that like, in the shade?!

Temperatures like that kill hordes of people in Europe. I used to live in Kimberley... so I know what hot is... but 44 degrees is beyond hot... what's the humidity like?

-G

Hi Garrick, glad to put your mind at rest. When Melbourne gets that hot there is no humidity, it is dry as... When the winds come from the North, then they are coming across the desert, the winds can burn you, they are so hot. When the wind turns and comes from the South, then they are cool, so you are smiling again.

The overnight temperature last night was in the 30's, so be very sure that when you arrive and look for a rental property, that you ensure that it has either air conditioning or evaporative cooling for summer and central heating for winter. As far as I am concerned that is non-negotiable. For myself, I prefer evaporative cooling to air conditioning as it does not dry out the air and recycles with fresh air all the time.

Hi Garrick

Mara's advice is spot on (and the aircon/evaporative cooling bit doesn't apply to Melbourne only but to all Australian cities). Melbourne thankfully has a dry heat and while it does have limited humidity on certain summer days (especially when the minimum temperature is high), it is fortunately mostly always still fresh with a light breeze added into the mix to cool one off.

Yesterday's 44 degrees (it was Mebourne's hottest night last night in a century) felt like a hairdryer, but fortunately, the expected cool change that usually follows such an abnormally hot day in Melbourne came through this afternoon with Melbourne's temperature plummetting from 33 this morning to a comfortable 25 degrees in less than an hour. Current (night) temperature is a comfy 19 degrees. We even had a late quick shower here on Port Phillip Bay - which is also quite common (and welcomed) after such an intensely hot day.

Sydney had 30-degree nights last week - the only diffs is that it gets real humid there which adds to the discomfort. Aircon/evaporative cooling is therefore truly a must throughout Australia.

The week ahead in Melbourne looks good with most days sunny (light showers here and there) and a fresh 24 - 31 degrees max. temperature :ilikeit: Will definitely sleep much better tonight than last night.

The overnight temperature last night was in the 30's, so be very sure that when you arrive and look for a rental property, that you ensure that it has either air conditioning or evaporative cooling for summer and central heating for winter. As far as I am concerned that is non-negotiable.

I second that airconditioning and heating is NON NEGOTIABLE. 38 degrees yesterday and 37 degrees today...its sooo HOT. Of course this does push up your power bills...thankfully for us my husband will starteworking for the power supplier here next week, so we get discounted bills...we are SO going to need that :ilikeit:

Candice

Just to point out, evaporative cooling does not work in all the Australian cities, it is only feasible where there is dry heat, not where it is humid.

Keep in mind these 40 temps are not the norm..its a day here and a day there and then it makes the news..."heatwaves"...it a summer thing...so dont panic!

:-) Someone said it's like a hairdryer - my first thought when I stepped outside with some washing was that it was like a tumbledryer! :-)

And - we don't have any ducted cooling! And survived, though it was not pleasant :-). But then yesterday afternoon we had a quick thunder shower, and it started cooling down, and the place smelt awesome after the rain, and I just smiled and thought how great it is to live here :-).

Yolande

and it started cooling down, and the place smelt awesome after the rain, and I just smiled and thought how great it is to live here :-).

Yolande

Oooh... that smell... it must be just like Kimberley... bloody hot summer's day, and then the smell of wet dust and steaming tar... mmmm. :blush:

-G

42 degrees in Moorreesburg today (measured it myself)

Definitly hotter up north.

So just like South Africa, Australia also has it hot and super hot spots - the biggest difference is that the fire risks in Australia is just so much higher because of the vegetation

Lived in a house with aircon last year and never switched it on. This is Inner West Sydney we are in. Current house has no aircon, but fans in the bedrooms. I prefer that. Most importantly for me is mesh over the windows and doors so I can have that open for a draft, BUT also for bugs. Sydney had been very hot the last few days and thankfully we had a thunderstorm and rain last night, quite cool now.

Australia also has it hot and super hot spots

Yep, the Super hot spots occur in the following regions of Australia:

North

North East

East

South East

South

South West

West

North West

And the bit in the centre....

The not-so-hot spots are as follows:

Tasmania

:lol:

Ok... so yesterday I read an article in The Age that was going on at the temperature averaging 44 degrees.

Um... is that like, in the shade?!

Temperatures like that kill hordes of people in Europe. I used to live in Kimberley... so I know what hot is... but 44 degrees is beyond hot... what's the humidity like?

-G

Hi Garrick, yes I believe Kimberley gets very hot :lol: Only two places in my life where I have experienced a 44 deg temp, one was driving through the Karoo and the other Clan William Dam, just on your way to the West Coast.....hell, that was not nice, Perth is set to top 42 over the weekend, so stock up on water everyone!

Erica

Yep, the Super hot spots occur in the following regions of Australia:

North

North East

East

South East

South

South West

West

North West

And the bit in the centre....

The not-so-hot spots are as follows:

Tasmania

.............and Albany, unless they are having a bit of a hot spell!

:lol:

Archived