Winter in Brisbane

HouseInOz

Do one need humidifiers? (We currently use it because the air is very dry.) How cold does it get in winter? Do we need blankets and jackets for the first few weeks?

If the rumours are to be believed it sounds to me like you need De-humidifiers in Brisbane!

I battled a bit our first winter (from Durb's) probably because I didn't expect the cold but last year seemed easier? The winters here are short but definately still cold - the City (if you end up working in the city) is always freezing during winter! Okay not so much London freezing but still enough to warrant two layers and a scarf!

Having lived in Johannesburg I brought over humidifiers and oil heaters. Needless to say I have never used them in Brisbane and they remain packed away. I look forward to Brisbane winters, much more pleasant than the summers.

We wear a jacket going to work in the morning, but it comes off pretty quick.

We have a duvet on the bed.

Last year we put the heater on about five times.

I am from Pta and during winter (Brisbane) wear a jacket in the morning and late afternoon, early evening. No heaters, maybe just a blanket when chilling infront of the TV, and a duvet on the bed.......thats it! Winter is so short.....and personally there was only a few days (less than 10) in two winters that was realy cold!

If the rumours are to be believed it sounds to me like you need De-humidifiers in Brisbane!

:ilikeit::holy::ilikeit:

Good one HansaPlease

Do one need humidifiers? (We currently use it because the air is very dry.) How cold does it get in winter? Do we need blankets and jackets for the first few weeks?

We were quiet surprised how cold it got last year (arrived in Mar09 from Durbs) Temp in Carindale got down to 5 degrees in the morning. So it can get cold and we used the heaters a couple of times.

C the areas you are looking at will be colder than closer to the bay where I am so perhaps bring jackets and buy blankets when you get here as they are too bulky to put in your luggage. But its nowhere as cold as where you are now!

Winter in Brisbane is similar to Pietermaritzburg. Coming from Durban I found Brisbane winter to be cold and dry. (fortunately not too often) You get cold spells from time to time but overall it is quite bearable.

Cheers

Michael

Archived