Unicorn: Hey Guys!!

Unicorn

I've just joined this site (man, you guys are helpful!) I've been reading stuff for a while and now that I can post, I thought I better introduce myself.

Well, we first left SA in 2001, just myself, my husband and my daughter. We first moved to the UK thinking that would be the easiest?? We were so wrong, it was horrible. The weather is miserable and the people are miserable because of the weather!! Anyway, we stuck it out for 4 and half years, but then decided we just couldn't stand it anymore. We looked into moving to Oz and started all the research etc, while job hunting for hubby. Then, due to a strange and complicated twist, we ended up moving to NZ instead. We are by no means wealthy and have done each trip on a shoe-string and started each time with nothing. This time we want to take a few things with us, like my animals!!! We have now been here for 4 years and totally love the place, BUT we have one issue and unfortunately that issue is the "lack of choice".

Example; We have a huge 4WD truck that my hubby has taken 3 years to build. She is a real beast and goes anywhere! We decided 2 years ago to join a club so that we can go on trips and enjoy the parts of NZ not many people get to see. Well, we had 3 choices in our area. One was a bunch of cowboys, the other was too far and the last one was ok, but they seemed a bit strange towards us? We haven't really enjoyed the trips out with them, but there aren't any other clubs to join???

That is one example, but the list goes on for us. I know this may seem like a silly reason, but Australia was our first choice and we've given NZ a good go!

We will miss so much here in NZ, but we are definately looking forward to our move to Oz, big time!!!!! Our hearts have always been in Oz, especially mine. I wanted to move to Australia since I was a little girl!!

Not sure what else to tell you really??? Just looking forward to this year and can't wait for all the employment agents to get back to work so I can hassle them to find my hubby a job!!! LOL!!

We have already had excellent feedback from one agent just before the holiday season started!!

Howdy Unicorn, and welcome.

I also lived in the UK for 7 or 8 years, lived in smelly old London for most of the time. Really enjoyed it over there (despite some of the down-sides) and I do miss a lot of things - but it did have a time limit and Australia is far better. Best of luck with your move to Aus.

Welcome Unicorn

I hated living in the UK too. Aus is so much friendlier, more 'open' - i suppose more liveable

E

Welcome! It sounds like you've had a lot of adventure already! Maybe you can give us newbies some tips on the "starting over" part of things. It's actually a bit scary! :ilikeit:

Yep me too, 7 yrs in London town and now 2 yrs in Melbourne. Great place this you gonna love it !

Jimmi

Hi Unicorn, just wanted to say welcome and hope you get all the answers you are looking for here!

Just have to tell you that I had such a chuckle, with a 'handle' like 'unicorn' and then an 'avatar' of a 'daft looking horse', you definitely have a great sense of humour!

We spent 3,5 years in Auckland before moving to Melbourne.

Welcome! It sounds like you've had a lot of adventure already! Maybe you can give us newbies some tips on the "starting over" part of things. It's actually a bit scary! :ilikeit:

for me, Sydney is expensive, so would avoid it unless you have to work there(or money is no issue)

thats it, I think you find there is a LOT do do in auz

Wow, thanks guys for all the lovely welcome wishes etc!!

We are really looking forward to this move. To you newbies at this immigration thing, it doesn't get any easier. I think the nice part is that we have learnt a lot and hopefully won't make the same mistakes!

We still job hunting, but so far we like the look of Melbourne. I really don't want to stay anywhere that gets humid? Advice welcome! :ilikeit: We will go where ever my hubby gets a job. I've been trying to send my hubby's CV to place job advertised in Perth, hope it's nice there if he gets that one??

Mara, we started off in Auckland. We stayed there for 1 and a half years and then moved down here to Christchurch. It's really gorgeous here and the warm weather is so much like SA. We actually live out in the country, north of the city and my hubby drives into work everyday. It's nice but far from everything. I'm hoping to live a little closer to town in Oz. The part I don't like are the freezing winters. It goes down to -3 most nights out here and we even had a couple of -5 and -6's this year?? So far this year we've hardly had a summer? I think the first decent day was xmas day??

there is no other place in the whole wide world where i would rather live than in Sydney (may be NY)

as far as I am concerned Melbourne and Brisbane is 'no comparison' (dont shoot me....)

E

Emille, you must like the cosmo life then?? :)

I'm a country girl. I prefer smaller cities. My hubby is more of a townie, so we always try to compromise by living just on the outskirts. If the city is too big, he always ends up travelling miles to work, which I feel bad about.

Coming from Cape Town, I had my mind set on Perth to settle down, but did LSD trip last July to Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth; and changed my mind to settle in Brisbane.

What I liked about Brisbane - Lots of friends, kids loved the area, although not the biggest city, there is so many towns close by, therefore so much to explore not too far away. The people are not as friendly though, but I am not going there for them.

Melbourne was massive, but it is too flat, and the big turn off for me was the tram system in town. It really stressed me out, and I was used to driving in most dangerous places in Cape Town and Gauteng townships. - The people however was always very friendly.

Perth was again too small, and being the most isolated city, I felt it will end up costing me a lot when I go on holiday to explore other parts of the country. The people are very friendly, and nice to hear all over Afrikaans people.

Well I have to go in Feb to activate my Visa, then will experience the humid and hot weather of the summer. Maybe that will let me change my mind.

How is Townsville by the way anyone. Looks like a nice town, might be able to get job there.

If you talk about isolation and you talk about wanting to be in a 'bigger' city I think Townsville will be too small for you. Plus the weather is 'crap' and the sea is full of stingers so you end up swimming in a pool for most of the year. O yes, and the thread of cyclones...

E

If you talk about isolation and you talk about wanting to be in a 'bigger' city I think Townsville will be too small for you. Plus the weather is 'crap' and the sea is full of stingers so you end up swimming in a pool for most of the year. O yes, and the thread of cyclones...

E

Not true

Marine stingers, box jellyfish and Irukandji frequent North Queensland waters between November and May.

The sea is warm during his time but safe. many just take the chance anyway. very few die from them

purchase a stinger suit for protection while swimming.

Also cyclone season is only from about Jan to May. I know becuase we had preperations for them every year in Mackay but never saw one come on shore, but it did cuase severe floods in 2008

Emille, as you love the big cities you mast really love Yeppon

Hi Unicorn

Are you guys New Zealand citizens? It does make things a little bit easier when moving to Australia.

I love hearing all your opinions about different area's!!

13 years...

No we only have PR, we would have to wait another 2 years for citizenship. We have thought about staying and talked about it in depth, but we just feel that we would rather just get to Oz now and get our PR etc there!!

Archived