Going Home for visit January 21st

KathyW

Hi guys,

I am so excited, we are going home for a visit from 21st January and returning on the 14th February. :ilikeit::unsure:

This trip will hopefully put my hubby's mind at rest that we have done the right thing. We will celebrate our 2 years in March/April this year and he has still felt so unsettled. :whome:

Questions :

We are flying home to Johannesburg, who would be the best car hire to use? :holy:

Hubby, Son and Daughter on a British Passport, is there anything we need to know about that? :unsure:

I'm on a South African Passport, so am sure I will be fine. :whome:

Do we need to return visa's for Aussie, we are on our Permanent Residence. :unsure:

Any other experiences you found, please let me know. :angry:

I know that this is probably the same old same old, but just realized that it is not too long now and need to start making sure that we are fine with all the arrangements.

:magic: **** Happy New Year to all, and may we all find that Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow **** :magic:

How exciting for you, can't help with the questions just wanted to wish you a fabulous holiday.

Jill

Hi Kathy,

I’ve used these guys for 8 years now, and have nothing but good things to say about them – www.carhire.co.za They’re based in Cape Town, but you can book a car for anywhere (I usually fly into JHB) and they have flat rates with no hidden fees (they use the big-name car hire companies, Hertz, Europcar, Avis, etc) but their rates are cheaper than going direct. Unlimited mileage for anything over a couple of days.

Your family won’t need anything special in terms of visas.

You don’t need a return visa if you’re on PR.

Enjoy your holiday!

How exciting for you, can't help with the questions just wanted to wish you a fabulous holiday.

Jill

Thanks Jill, cannot wait really, I will be able to hold my grandson now who is 14months old, so excited to see the family and friends, but just nervous to go through those feelings again.

All I can add is that its illegal to use another country's passport to enter South AFrica if you are a South AFrican citizen ....

Hi Kathy,

I’ve used these guys for 8 years now, and have nothing but good things to say about them – www.carhire.co.za They’re based in Cape Town, but you can book a car for anywhere (I usually fly into JHB) and they have flat rates with no hidden fees (they use the big-name car hire companies, Hertz, Europcar, Avis, etc) but their rates are cheaper than going direct. Unlimited mileage for anything over a couple of days.

Your family won’t need anything special in terms of visas.

You don’t need a return visa if you’re on PR.

Enjoy your holiday!

Aah, have heard their name before, thanks a stack, and will definately enjoy the hols but will be sad to say goodbye "Again".

All I can add is that its illegal to use another country's passport to enter South AFrica if you are a South AFrican citizen ....

This is true - Kathy, I assumed your husband and kids were British (not South African) - are they also South African (dual) citizens?

Both my Husband and Son have ID Books, my daughter was only 12 when we left, hmmm? We relocated..... not immigrated..... Don't understand your answer. Sorry...

Both my Hubby and Son are South African citizens, my son is only 21, but when we started the immigration process it was better to put the kids on a British Passport and that is why they are on British Passports, just dear ol me is on South African.

British passport holders need to have TWO emply pages next to each other in their passports to enter RSA, otherwise they turn you right back.

Thanks Rozelle,

All three of the Passports are still good, because we got them before we left SA, so plenty of empty pages.

Ooooooppppsssss, nearly had head bitten off, I did forget to mention that Hubby also has a SA Passport.

Sorry DH.....

Kathy, as Emille has already pointed out, if anyone in your travelling party holds a South African passport then that person must present their South African passport at Immigration Clearance when you enter South Africa. Those who hold dual passports are welcome to use their British passports when leaving Australia, but as soon as they get to South Africa, they must use the SA ones.

As Emille said, it is a criminal offence to use a passport from another country when entering South Africa, if you hold a South African Passport.

Hi guys,

Do we need to return visa's for Aussie, we are on our Permanent Residence. :unsure:

Check the dates that your visa is valid until after your return date.

If you return after the last entry date on your PR visa you need to get RRVisa which could cause delays and headaches on re entry

Have a good trip

basically if you have a South African passport you have to use that passport to enter South Africa and leave South Africa. Even if you also have a british passport or Aussie passport

A permanent Resident is just that - PERMANENT unless you notify Immigration that you are leaving for good. Then only will you need to have/apply for RRV when you want to return. No expiry date on a Permanent Visa as far as I know.

Cool, thanks guys much appreciated, at least I have the peace of mind now on that.

A permanent Resident is just that - PERMANENT unless you notify Immigration that you are leaving for good. Then only will you need to have/apply for RRV when you want to return. No expiry date on a Permanent Visa as far as I know.

Hi hencare,

Far as I know this is not correct, permanent residency visas do actually have "expiry dates". Most are valid for 5 years. After that you have to apply for a returning resident visas when travelling outside Aus (unless you have Ctizenship by then, of course).

Once you get PR your residency status with immigration becomes "permanent" but the physical visa they issue to allow you multiple-entry into the country has a finite duration.

z

Edited to add the following extract from the IMMI website relating to a 175 PR visa "This is a permanent residence visa. As a permanent resident you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely. This visa also allows you to travel to and enter Australia for five (5) years from the date the visa is granted. " http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...-visa-works.htm

Hi Zetman,

I did originally think that, and yes it is valid for 5 years and was issued in Feb 08.

Another question, we are with HBF and for some reason they do not Insure us on Overseas Travel, anyone got suggestions here, my Son thinks it is a waste of money, but his overactive Mother disagree's.

Help on this one as well would help.

Thanks Guys for all your input......

Hi Kathy,

Personally I would not even consider going overseas without good travel insurance. The chances of anything going wrong may be slim but if anything really serious did happen you'd want to be covered for proper care without being stuck with big bills afterwards. It may seem like an expense but my view is it's one of those things you'll only realise the true value of once you need it. e.g. My sister visited the USA from SA. She was rushed to an emergency room one night with bad abdominal pains. Nothing serious in the end but she was left with a US$1500 medical bill just for that. She was very relieved she had travel insurance that time.

If it was me I'd definately have a shop around and get some insurance before I go, I know medibank and many other do provide but unfortunately I can't recommend someone specific (I haven't been back to SA from Aus yet).

z

Hi Kathy,

I used 1cover and i had excellent service from them. I was sick during my trip to South Africa in October and they paid for all my medical bills. Here is their website address http://www.1cover.com.au/

Diveup

Grand, thanks so much, I did see something advertised on the TV as well, called Travel Smart, but must have a look still.

Anybody know this one, sorry man, all the questions should of been written down but the mind is travelling faster than a Jumbo Jet.

When we ask for a family quote, my son is 21 and living at home, is he part of the adult family, or would he have to get his own Insurance.

Thanks Guys

Sorry Hencare,

But a permant residents visa DOES EXPIRE.

Once the visa has expired , which its normally issued for 5 years, you then have to apply for a RRV, even is you are leaving the country for 2 hours.

Because you are a permanent resident , that does not automatically allow to re-enter Australia if the Visa in your passport has expired.

Also when travelling , you need to ensure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months after you leave the country you are visiting. Many countries require a min of a 6 month validity on your passport.

When we ask for a family quote, my son is 21 and living at home, is he part of the adult family, or would he have to get his own Insurance.

Thanks Guys

Even though Gareth is living at home, he is not a dependant ie full time student, he would need his own travel insurance policy. Your daughter is covered under your husbands and your policy.

Archived