Can't find a job from South Africa

IamInACT

I have been trying for some time to find a job in ACT from South Africa but no luck so I'm making the move in Feb more then like arriving on 17th of Feb. My Wife and kids are staying in SA untill I have sorted things in ACT.

Just need a place to stay and moral support ... so heres to the unkown .... ACT here I come!

I have been trying for some time to find a job in ACT from South Africa but no luck so I'm making the move in Feb more then like arriving on 17th of Feb. My Wife and kids are staying in SA untill I have sorted things in ACT.

Just need a place to stay and moral support ... so heres to the unkown .... ACT here I come!

Hi GonnabeACT!

Here is wishing you God's blessings, hope all goes well for you!

I am sure you will find both, a place to stay, and heaps of moral support!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! :ilikeit:

Erica

Try not to worry, its much easier securing employment once you are here..before you know it your family will join you!

Hi,, why ACT ?? There is nothing wrong with it... Just curious ? Do you have state sponsorship from ACT?

Hi,, why ACT ?? There is nothing wrong with it... Just curious ? Do you have state sponsorship from ACT?

I have a state sponsorship but it means nothing when applying for jobs. I'm in IT and a lot of the good jobs are government related. Problem is that being in IT is that you need to be a citizen rather then a resident. In fact I have not even had a telephonic interview!

Maybe it is my skills but no luck yet.

I have a state sponsorship but it means nothing when applying for jobs. I'm in IT and a lot of the good jobs are government related. Problem is that being in IT is that you need to be a citizen rather then a resident. In fact I have not even had a telephonic interview!

Hi there,

No, it's not you, it's like that for many of us. I'm in IT too, and though I love Canberra for its "Park" city, as you have pointed out, 99% of the jobs there require you to have Australia citizenship and security clearance.

I'll be flying to Melbourne on the 5th of Feb and like you, my wife and child will stay here till I find something. I have every faith that I will find something quite soon after arriving. All the agents I have spoken to said that once I'm there it's a completely different story. In 4 months, I've had 1 interview over the phone from there...

Godspeed to you.

-G

I'm it the same boat as you, in fact I'm relying on the "technician" side of my experience to get a job at a "momma & poppa" computer shop more than I'm relying on getting into one of the big companies. But hey, if that is what it takes to get a foot in the door...

I'm in the same boat. Ozzies doesn't like/understand video conferencing to do interviews. And being in IT myself, I find that quite amusing that IT companies of all doesn't grasp the benefits.

I'm off to Sydney on the 4th Jan to start job hunting.

I will send you a PM

I work for a government owned company that have employed a few South Africans and the head office is in Canberra

As for places to stay, try out sites like this one for room/flat share stuff:

EasyRoommate

-G

Be careful of the sites that offer temp accommodation - Although you must use them, and there are genuine people there, there are permanent scammers also.

i had little crppers contacting with "pictures" of their "apartment" adn it was so obvious it was pasted together from the net. Large billiards room with 2 metre square kitchen etc.

check out my bloggie http://sydney-by-byron.blogspot.com/

• 11 months later...

Hi

My husband, kids and I are also having the same problem as you had (but hopefully overcame). We were granted a sponsored PR visa by ACT in July 2009 and flew over in March/April 2010 to vaildate it and to look around.

Our problem is my hubby is struggling to get a job, he is in I.T. but the govermental restriction of needing security clearances is killing us. We seem to be in a catch-22 situation as he needs to security clearance to work in his field but only citizens can acquire them!!!

We have decided to move early next year without a job (which is scary for us). How did you manage when you came over on your own? How long did it take you to find work etc?

Do you have any suggestions/advice for us in terms of the above?

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Louise

I will send you a PM

I work for a government owned company that have employed a few South Africans and the head office is in Canberra

Hi.

I saw your reply above to another member and thought I would drop you a note.

We are in the same situation - my hubby is struggling to get a job from South Africa. He is in the I.T. field but the majority of positions advertised and in the government sector and all need security clearance.

Could you give us any advice or do you know if there are any openings at the firm you work for?

Thanks.

Archived