Welcome to Australia

g26130

This is the warmest welcome in any country..........very warm (and wet) in my pants!!!!!!!

Stuff daylight savings time....who needs it????

And I'll dripdry for once.....

Now I'm not the squeemish type but BLIKSEM! Those buggers are nasty looking!

Mmmmm, and those are only the babies!!! :lol:

Erica

• 4 weeks later...

Is it really this bad ? This may prompt me to withdraw my PR application !!!

I hate these creatures !!

Will it help to fumigate regularly, and keep screens closed ALWAYS ?

ek gril myself MORSDOOD net daar op die plek!!!

eeeeek!

I am going to do the surface spray thing around every door and window just one of these days!

Is it really this bad ? This may prompt me to withdraw my PR application !!!

I hate these creatures !!

Will it help to fumigate regularly, and keep screens closed ALWAYS ?

Umm the flyscreens don't help to keep spiders out at all...fumigation and white/light bed linen are some of my safe guards...so I can spot them easily when I check my bed before getting in!! Also I am never far from my can of mortein!

Have lived in Melbourne for 12,5 years and yes, we do see spiders, but I have never seen anything as depicted in the pictures above. The ones I have seen were small enough to squash with a slipper. Of course, need to remember that some of the deadliest spiders in Australia are the smallest ones.

Must admit though, I would rather take my chances with a spider than a comrade with an AK47!

Is it really this bad ?

It’s pretty bad.

I’ve seen a couple of the ones in the photos, like the huntsman – it’s s horrible looking thing, but is apparently non-venomous. What it does do is it carries you away at night and takes you to it’s lair where there are 50 of them waiting to eat you. Once I saw one eating a cow. I tried to drive straight at it to try to save the cow but it bit off my left front wheel. I left the car there and didn’t hang around to see what happened. The insurance company told me it was the third case that week. A huntsman had eaten a Ford F-100 the week before. :lol:

:lol:

No seriously, I hate spiders and am poep scared of them, but I must admit, it hasn’t put me off enough to leave yet. I’ve seen my fair share since we’ve been here, definitely more than in South Africa – mostly huntsman (not dangerous but huge) white-tails (small but dangerous) and redbacks (also small but dangerous – similar to black widow) around our place, usually in summer.

You sort of learn to live with it though.... and you learn to grab the nearest shoe very quickly. Closing the screens won’t help much (they’ll just eat them! :lol: ) but fumigating will probably help.

Hi...

Good one HansaPlease......lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And please try to remember not to kill them with you bare hands. One of my friends killed a white tale with his hands and was very lucky.

Mmmmm, and those are only the babies!!! :ilikeit:

Erica

Jeepers - forsee many cans of spray on stock! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :blink:

Don't like "gogos" at all!!!!

I have learnt to keep an old shoe handy in most rooms......don't you just hate it when one of these little blighters pops out and you're running around like Mr Bean looking for a freaking shoe!!

Seriously, keep an eye out but you'll be ok. The spiders are more scared of you than you are of them. And the huntsmans? They're big babies, apparently. They move pretty fast cos they're petrified this gigantic being is about to squash them.

Did I mention that they like to snack on redbacks? Anything that eats redbacks gets my vote. We have a couple of daddylong legs and some house spiders outside one of our rooms.....I've left them there....as long as they're there, u can be sure there ain't no redback there!

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of spiders! For real. They seem to be more in spring. You kinda get use to it quite quickly. Instead of a can of pepperspray you will have a can of Mortein in the bedroom.

• 1 month later...

Well I am prepared to cook for these guys - visa please be granted!!! I feel and look like some of these spiders from frustration! SAP certificates; you now @*&%$£@~

And I'll drip-dry for once...

Good idea!

Now I'm not the squeamish type but BLIKSEM!

Please allow me to add this: BLIKSEM!

This may prompt me to withdraw my PR application!

Agreed. ;]

Well I am prepared to cook for these guys - Visa please be granted!

:blush:

post-10509-1269126267.jpg - This is the sort of average size Huntsman that you see in Sydney. He is living in the foyer of our apartment block and very kindly posed next to the regular South African sized daddy long legs so you can get some size perspective... (when I looked the next day the daddy long legs was gone)

Eeeeeeek! Did I mention I hate spiders? I check my shoes every time before I put them on, just in case, lol.

There was a Huntsman in my car boot the other day - I LOATHE spiders and it took everything I had to get in the car and drive home knowing it was there (I had nothing at hand to deal with it in my parking bay short of clobbering it with my laptop!) :ilikeit:

At home I took one of those mortein bomb things, set it off, chucked it in the boot, slammed the door closed and ran! When I opened up the next morning the spider had completely filled my boot with webs (shudder) but was well and truly dead................ as were the cockroaches I found in the car itself, yes really, car is only 4 months old..... :ilikeit:

Australia ain't for gogga sissies! I'm learning to harden up! :D

Archived