Ready made dough

Veronique

I miss making my own bread and vetkoek from the ready made dough I used to buy at my local Spar. I have not been able to find it in Brisbane. Has anyone else seen it?

Hi,

Look for a Brumby's bakery near you. Ask them to keep aside a bag of dough for you. You have to ask them the previous day though, cause they start baking very early in the morning. You just pick it up then during the day. They don't even charge me the price for a loaf of bread, and I make the most wonderful vetkoek with it.

The manager once ask me why do I request a bag of dough, and he was very interested to hear our vetkoek story. :lol:

Happy baking

B

Yes, as far as we know you can pretty much go to any high street baker and ask him for it (the day before) and they will keep you some, normally per kg. They dont go advertising this fact, we (vetkoek junkies) must be in the minority. Nothing beats vetkoek and curry mince, even the Aussies love it. Off topic, do you know what blows them away? Braaibroodjies/Braai Toasties!!! Have been feeding it to people from all over the world at our braais for years and every time the Aussies come up to me and say "In all the years that we have been BBQing as a nation, you think we would have come up with this cracker".

Thank you for this post!! I'm off to the bakery this weekend. Tried that dry vetkoek mix from the South African shop but ai jai jai not so good - am very excited about having vetkoek again!

THANKS I will definitely go and find my closest Brumby's.

You can buy vetkoek dough in a box at the small store on the left side door Aspley Hypermarket. We have used it and its pretty good OR

My wife has these recipes, a yeast and non yeast version. She said she tried buying the mixed dough from bakers but was refused on some health safety nonsense

Vetkoek Recipe (yeast version)

Ingredients:

(Makes 6 large ones - as seen in the photos)

1 kg Snowflake cake flour

10 ml salt

30 ml sugar

10 g instant dry yeast (1 sachet)

30 ml cooking oil

±650 - 750 ml lukewarm water

Method

Sift all the dry ingredients together (including the yeast) and combine well.

Make a well in the center and add enough water to create a sticky dough.

Oil a bowl and place the dough inside and cover.

Leave it to rise for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.

On a lightly floured surface knock back and divide the dough into separate balls.

Leave them for 30minutes to rise a little, and then gently flatten with the palm of your hand until 1.5-2cm thick.

Now comes the fun part. In a largish pot, heat enough oil so that the dough balls will be able to float in it with out touching the bottom (a liter and a half of oil in a medium to large pot should do the trick).

To test if the oil is ready, break off a tiny piece of dough and place it in the oil, when it floats the oil is ready.

Place your dough ball in the warm oil (remember this needs to cook gradually so make sure the oil isnt to hot)

What should happen is when the dough is in the oil it should "puff up" as seen the the picture above, this means you got everything right.

Now let it fry until golden brown and remember to turn it every so often. after about 15minutes your vetkoek should be done.

Once it is done it should look something like the picture above, remove from oil and place on a draining towel to soak up any excess oil.

When you slice them in half, they shouldnt be doughy inside at all, if they are then 1 of 2 things could of gone wrong:

Either your oil was too hot and outside browned too quickly OR

they were too thick when you made them and they didnt rise properly.

Vetkoek Recipe

Ingredients:

500ml Cake Flour

20ml Baking Powder

3ml Salt

15-30ml Melted Butter or cooking oil

1 Egg

250ml Buttermilk

Cooking Oil for deep frying

Method:

- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together

- Beat butter, egg and buttermilk together. Now add this to the flour mixture & stir.

- The dough should have a spongy texture that drips easily off a spoon.

- Half fill a large pot with cooking oil and heat until it bubbles.

- Place spoonfuls of dough into the hot oil

- Deep fry for a few minutes and then turn and fry them until Golden Brown

- Remove when cooked and drain on paper towelling.

- Allow to cool slightly before eating.

Thanks for the recipes LeeinOz. I appreciate your time and effort. I have printed them and will be making some vetkoek SOON!

I bought dough in a box at Woolies. It's actually for bread making machines, has 4 packets of flour mixture and the neccessary yeast packets in as well. Made vetkoek the other day and it was perfect.

I bought dough in a box at Woolies. It's actually for bread making machines, has 4 packets of flour mixture and the neccessary yeast packets in as well. Made vetkoek the other day and it was perfect.

I have also bought it and made bread with it, but it is a bit of a schlep. Would be easier to get the ready made dough! Gosh I sound so lazy!

Archived