jonathanb: Hi to those who knew me on RN

jonathanb

I get back from being away for nearly a month and Rainbow Nation is a bit like South Africa. Most of the clever people have already left and those that stayed to try and make a difference have realised that this is Africa and no matter what you do it wont help so they are trying to get out.

After a bit of searching I finally found this place and am I glad I did. One of my last posts on RN was to say that I would setup a forum which had a bit of control as RN had been taken over by some undesirables. I did not manage to do that so I am glad someone else did.

That is not totally true, I did setup a forum but then thought that a photogallery would be nice to go with it so I also set that up. Then I thought that it might be nice for people to be able to create a journal of their move as well as send private messages etc so I installed a CMS. Then I thought it might be a good idea to put some newsheadlines on the site so I did. What about some webcams thought I so I hooked a couple up. But what about trying to find businesses etc someone said so a yellow pages was installed, then along came classifeds, free web site hosting, a property guide, a job search, personals/friend finder, events calendar plus lots more. So now I have a complete Australian portal built and all that is now needed, is a few cosmetic touchups, then I need to fill it with content and of course people.

I dont want to p** of this site admin so I wont publish the url of the site here unless they say its fine but if anyone has a business in Aus they would like to list in the Yellow Pages or interesting links etc just mail me and I will send you the address of the site. Edited: Thanks to Hendie the Australian site can be found at www.gatewayaus.com

Edited by jonathanb

Johathan!

Welkom by SAAustralia, jammer ek het nie van jou geweet nie, dan kon ons bietjie gesels het! In elk geval, jy is welkom om jou webwerf se URL te plaas (onder jou profiel ook, dan kan mense dit só ook bykom). Jy sal oplet dat hierdie forum deur 'n span gashere (en -dames) versorg word: ons is voortdurend op die uitkyk vir nuwe bloed om by die span aan te sluit - lyk my jou hart sit op die regte plek, so lees bietjie die Host Responsibilities and Powers Help artikel, en dink daaroor! ;)

Hi Hendie

Thank you very much for the welcome. I appreciate you allowing me to name the site (www.gatewayaus.com)

I would love to help out but right now I just dont have the time to get through all my own stuff so maybe when things are a bit quieter.

Cheers

Jonathan

Welcome Jonathan, wondered what happened to you. Glad you found us.

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi Jonathanb, :lol:

Nice to see you again and glad that you found us. I just realized that you are probably around the corner from Caroline ! * bear with me if you already know this, I am blonde, hence the delay in processing time *

:):)B)

*phew* sounds like some serious scope creep on that site of yours. Congratulations on all the hard work, sounds excellent. Will go have a look in a minute.

See you around

Seoul Sister

:lol:

Hi JonathanB! Welcome to our new "home" - you'll find that it is nice and cozy here and you'll have a lot of friends - old and new!

I had a quick look at your website - looks like a lot of info there - when I have a bit more time I'll go surf around a bit more. Just shows you the need for info - it's amazing how people crave for good, solid, factual info about emigrating and about Australia. (Maybe you can pop a link to this one on there??? Now THAT would be very nice!!) :lol:

Hope to see you around a lot!

Hi

Riekie not much info on the site yet. I am still busy trying to add it and find people to assist. SAAustralia was the first site added to the links section on the 21 February.

Seoul Sister yes Caroline is just down the hill from me.

Regards

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan

Good to see you again-Welcome B)

Your site is looking good, sure it will get busy very soon ;)

Yes Seoul Sister- I am just 'down' the road from Jonathan.

Hey Jonathan, you wanna get together for a braai? :lol::lol::(:) (Just joking-don't want to scare you :) )

Caroline

Hi Caroline

I did get your email but had to go away quite suddenly and forgot to answer you. Very sorry that was very rude of me. We would love to but with my workload at the moment I will ask for a rain check for a couple of weeks.

• 1 year later...

To all those who might remember me hello again and to those who dont just hello.

Been a long time since I was here. I was retrenched in November and could not find another job in SA due to AA etc so ended up comming to the UK at the beginning of April and had a great job within 2 days of landing. Great place. Not the space there is back in SA but the safety and things to do is incredible. To see little kids playing in the parks is wonderful as is the fact that you can walk around at night and not have to worry.

The first time I stopped for petrol I pulled up at the pump and waited for someone to come. No one did, then a lady pulls up next to me, gets out fills up and goes into the shop. She comes out a bit later with some things and drives of. I am still waiting when someone else pulls up and starts to put petrol in their car and has a good laugh at me when I ask how the station owners trust them tocome in and pay.

My first time in a large shop I spent about 10 minutes looking for the place to leave your bags before being told that you take them in with you then when I go to pay for my 2 items, I go the the express till and there is no one there so I go to complain about the bad service only to betold that I must scan and pay for the stuff myself.

People here dont believe just how bad it is in SA and I think that people in SA dont really realise how bad it really is until they leave.

Oh yes I am still trying to get to OZ

I had to chuckle at Jonathan's discovery of life.

We get South Africans in Australia that tell their story of waiting . . . and waiting . . . and waiting . . . at a petrol bowser, only to be ignored. Eventually the truth dawns on them that they are just the same as everyone else there and they have to do the same as everyone else, i.e. fill the car up themselves!

I find honesty goes a long way to ease life.

I've always filled up my car first, strolled into the service station and paid over the counter for the amount I've put in.

On my first encounter with pre-pay, I didn't know what to do. I know in America it's the norm to pay first, then fill up because obviously no bugger trusts anybody else to do the right thing over there! Too many low-lifes fill up then jump in their car, race off without paying and think they are smart at getting a tank of free petrol. what the turkeys don't realise is that soon everyone, including themselves has to do a double trip into the service station to fill up . . . a hassle for the rest of their days!

My wife and I were just as confused also when we encountered a self-pay supermarket in England last year. People were scanning their grocery items and paying for the goods themselves at the till which spat out the change after putting pound notes in. I don't know whether it was any quicker . . . certainly cheaper for the supermarket as the shoppers were doing the work of "check-out", so saving a wage.

Life can be a bit confusing going to a new place, but you soon pick it up, just like getting cash out of an A.T.M. for the first time.

I confess, in England, I was caught standing around scratching my bum at times, wondering what was going on.

Edited by Bob

Well welcome.

We have not had the opportunity to put fuel in a car yet (still have to get one), so it will be an interesting experience I am sure.

The self checkout at the shop seems insane from my frame of reference.

Regards

Johan Swanepoel

Hi Jonathon

I sincerely hope that you eventually do make it to Aus!

I met up with the "self checkout" situation about two weeks ago, for the first time at Big W. Wow, to say the least, scanned my stuff, packed it in a bag, fed in my notes, and hey presto, out jumped my change. I was suitably impressed!

Guest Bronwyn

Was that Big W here in Aus Mara? I had no idea such a system existed. I think I must be getting old, fast.

Not long now & I will be sitting on a park bench muttering to myself about the world as it used to be in the good old days.

:ilikeit:

. . . . mutter . . . mutter . . . mutter :ilikeit:

Oh dearie me Bob, I see we suffer from the same malady!!!!!

Hi Bronwyn, yes, it is the one at Highpoint shopping centre in Melbourne. It is the only branch where I have come across it, apparently they are trying it there for a trial period before they install it in their other branches.