Yellow sticker

oz girl

Most of the people living in Australia will know what a yellow sticker is, we bought a car and asked the guy if it have a yellow sticker and he said no, we have a big :thumbdown: big :thumbdown: big feeling that the car have one, how can we find out if the car does or doesnt have a yellow sticker???

And if the car does have a yellow sticker the guy gonna see his "gat" big time!! :angry:

I know this question doesnt have anything to do with immigrating but urgently need some ones help.

Thank you

Now you've got me worried - Whats a yellow sticker ?? We've bought two cars and never heard of this - is this something I should know about in Canberra ?

Most of the people living in Australia will know what a yellow sticker is,

I am not one of them. Whats a yellow sticker?

Yellow stickers (defect notices)

If a 'yellow sticker' (defect notice) is attached to your vehicle it cannot be driven on the road for general use after the expiry date shown.

Provided the vehicle is registered it may be driven to any metropolitan examination centre to be examined. If the vehicle becomes unregistered a temporary movement permit is required.

An extension to the defect notice may be arranged in person by presenting your vehicle at a examination centre or Approved Inspection Station for a full examination of the vehicle concerned.

An examination fee entitles you to one full examination only.

These fees are transferable between examination centres but not between approved inspection stations.

If it is not possible to arrange for the vehicle to be examined within 14 days of the expiry date of the defect notice, you should surrender the licence plates at any licensing centre. The examination to re-register the vehicle is exactly the same as the examination to clear a defect notice.

Remember, a temporary movement permit must be obtained before an unregistered vehicle is driven to an Examination Centre.

If you have sold, or otherwise disposed of the vehicle, you should advise licensing services urgently (ph:13 11 56). This will allow infringements and renewals to be directed to the correct owner.

Interstate defect notices

A defect notice may be extended or cleared in any state or territory of Australia, regardless of where the vehicle is registered or the notice issued. A reciprocal arrangement between the States and Territories ensures that any action in respect of a defect notice is notified by the issuing authority to the home state or territory and vice versa. Details of the defect notice and the vehicle are recorded by both the state/territory in which the vehicle is registered and the state/territory in which the defect notice is issued.

To have an interstate defect notice extended or cleared the vehicle should be presented at an examination centre in any state or territory. Advice may be sought concerning any further action required.

If you do not respond to the defect notice

A first and final notice will be issued to the owner of a vehicle that has not been fully examined within 14 days of the expiry date of a defect notice. This Notice requires the owner to either have the vehicle examined or surrender the Licence plates. Failure to comply will result in the seizure of your licence plates and the issue of an infringement notice. A plate seizure order will be produced if a vehicle has not been fully examined within 28 days of the expiry of the defect notice.

Once this occurs the vehicle registration may not be renewed until the a full examination has occurred and the defect notice either extended or cleared.

Once the plates have been seized the vehicle is unregistered and a temporary movement permit is required to present the vehicle for examination.

An extension to the defect notice may be arranged following a full examination of the vehicle at any examination centre or Approved Inspection Station. An examination fee entitles you to one full examination only. These fees are transferable between metropolitan examination centres but not between approved inspection stations.

If you have sold, or otherwise disposed of the vehicle, you should advise licensing services urgently. This will allow infringements and renewals to be directed to the correct owner. If you do not respond a plate seizure order will be issued.

Effectively a yellow sticker is a notice that the car is deemed "un-roadworthy"; often issued by police during routine traffic stops - it literally is a bright yellow sticker that they put on the windscreen and far as I know removing the sticker yourself is actually illegal. It gives the owner a specified amount of time to resolve roadworthiness issues and obtain a new certificate of roadworhtiness from an inspection centre - failure to do so ultimately results in the car being de-registered and permanently taken of the road.

oz_girl,

http://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/car-facts/ advertise a service which provides background checks on vehicles. A report with the level of detail you're looking for will cost you $25 - but it would probably be money well spent if you have doubts about the car. :thumbdown:

Good news the car doesnt have a yellow sticker, :ilikeit::ilikeit: but the guy couldnt read!!!! the engen number and Chassy number is wrong on the tranfer papers, so we must go back to him this weekend to get another tranfer paper with the correct number, so ja just happy with the yellow sticker :ilikeit::ilikeit:

thank you zetman

My son of 21 got one because he had neon lights under the car, which didn't make sense to me because why do the dealers sell them to the youngsters in the first place if it is illegal? Anyway, I took the car into Warwick and pleaded a stupid Mother with a youngster who did not know anything, and all we had to do was take down the Neon's, and that was that.

Thanks for the info... I guess will still learn new things everyday!

Just random info....

Yellow Sticker

...is also known as a "Canary"

My son of 21 got one because he had neon lights under the car, which didn't make sense to me because why do the dealers sell them to the youngsters in the first place if it is illegal? Anyway, I took the car into Warwick and pleaded a stupid Mother with a youngster who did not know anything, and all we had to do was take down the Neon's, and that was that.

Kathy

Dealers sell them because they can

The law is more like USA law than South African law.

It is not illegal to sell or even own these lights but it is illegal to USE them. Personally I think they are a silly waste of money.

They were popular in the USA with Mexicans 25 years ago.

I have seen a few cars here with it and under car lighting at sound off competitions. They are illegal becuase of the distraction it causes I was told

When you buy a used car, you need to get a REV check in QLD (different name in each state) it will tell you all this info. To do it you need the rego, vin engine etc off the car. NOT what is on the rego papers. You pay a small fee $25 or so and you get proof if the car was stolen, illegal unpaid . Valid for 24 Hrs.

Never buy a car unless you personally know the owner without this. I saved a lot of money in a scam by asking for the info to get a REV check before paying.

They kept asking for me to pay and then check, but I refused. Turned out the car belonged to someone else anyway

Lots of tsotsies and skelems here too, stay vigilant

Archived