Rialet: New to Forum & Oz

Rialet

Yet another newie to discussion forums and OZ. Our family arrived on New Years day to our new life here in Oz and it is soooo great to be able to speak to so many of you that have been through this experience as well. One never realises how big this really is until you here - or is that just me???

We are in Brisbane (Carindale) and I am on a 457 Sponsorship and started with my company within 2 weeks from our arrival. Must admit that it was pretty hectic - we moved into our rental house the Friday, slept on a blow up mattress (blown up with a hairdryer nogals!!!) the weekend and that Monday I officially started with my new company. The kids had not been sorted out with schools etc at that stage and both me and my husband changed roles instantly - a frustration that got to both of us!!!

Main thing is we are here and we are extremely thankful for the opportunity to start a new life and to be able to offer our kids a future again. And nothing that is worthwhile comes easy!!!! Still need to go the PR route eventually but do not have the energy now.

Background info: From Lynnwood Ridge, Pretoria. Blou Bulle ondersteuners!!!! Favourite South African spot - regular visitors to Kruger Park - will miss those trips!!!!

Have 2 kids ages - 14 and 4 (boy and girl)

Welcome Rialet, not that I'm in Aussie. But we come from the same area in Pretoria, and I used to be a furious 'Blou Bul ondersteuner'. :) Nou I live in (Auckland) Blues country. Speaking of Blue Bulls, you may have already noticed it but I posted some of the results of a survey amongst the Aussie Super 14 players in the sports section. They do not seen to keen on Pretoria. B)

Hi Rialet

Welcome to the forum .I know exactly what you are talking about with the blow up mattress and a borrowed table from the neighbours and a box of much needed goodies from the first friend I met in Australia ....the lady cleaning our room while at the Motel.

My husband started the day after we arrived and things were really hectic stilll having to look for accomadation.

I know the area you come from spent a holiday there years ago with Ds Pieter De Wet , also had the priviledge to watch a Blue Bulls vs Wp game at Loftus. The only thing about the Kruger National park is that it is my maiden surname .Will definitely have to make an effort to get there on our next visit to SA.

Cheers for now :)

Welcome Rialet, not that I'm in Aussie. But we come from the same area in Pretoria, and I used to be a furious 'Blou Bul ondersteuner'. :) Nou I live in (Auckland) Blues country. Speaking of Blue Bulls, you may have already noticed it but I posted some of the results of a survey amongst the Aussie Super 14 players in the sports section. They do not seen to keen on Pretoria. B)

Had a look at the survey, very interesting - will also not like Loftus if I was a non Blue Bull supporter as it can be extremely intimidating!!!

We watched this weekend's game live (between 01h00 and 03h00 am) and I got sooooo emotional - you have to go far to get that type of pride and atmosphere anywhere else!!!!!! Especially when they play Gê Korsten's LIEFLING when the Bulls score!!!!

Take care

Rialet

Guest Jules

Hi Rialet :)

Welcome to the forum and to Australia

I'm in Brisbane too, well about 40km south in Jimboomba. I've been here for a year now and loving it so far. I stayed on the west coast for 12 years before coming to Aus but stayed in Pta too for 8 years ( Garsfontein and Murrayfield).

You're lucky you have come at the start of the slightly cooler weather, a few weeks ago it was murder with the high humidity ...

Julie

Hi Rialet :)

Welcome to the forum and to Australia

I'm in Brisbane too, well about 40km south in Jimboomba. I've been here for a year now and loving it so far. I stayed on the west coast for 12 years before coming to Aus but stayed in Pta too for 8 years ( Garsfontein and Murrayfield).

You're lucky you have come at the start of the slightly cooler weather, a few weeks ago it was murder with the high humidity ...

Julie

I am originally from Garsfontein - my parents moved there in 1981 and we stayed in one of the houses bordering the veld (today close to where the High School is). Have always been in Pretoria though.

We did experience the ridiculous humidity and heat and we nearly died but eventually got used to it although the aircon and pool at home helped a lot!!

It is obviously early days for us but Brisbane seems wonderful and the kids are settling in very well. The business market is a bit tough to break into as it is so relationship based and you need contacts to get opportunities but I am working hard on those - attending seminars, networking breakfasts and functions like you cannot believe. Went to a SA Connections networking breakfast very early this morning at Southport, Gold Coast and have another big breakfast lined up next Wednesday hosted by 96.5 (radio station for those who do not know). By the way - I do IT Recruitment and had my own business back in SA.

Cheers

Rialet

Hi there

Welcome to the forum and to Oz. I arrived mid November, we camped in our house for 4 weeks until our stuff arrived and I must say it all adds to the experience. A colleague of mine immigrated a few weeks after I did and she stays in Carindale in Brisbane, she is a member of this forum and I she would love to meet up with you and she has a litte one who is also around 4. You can send her a private email her name is Nadine.

Good Luck and best wishes, its so great knowing other people are in the same boat as you are and we too must to the PR route as we are also here on a 457 visa. Get our PR is going to be nerve racking but at least we are here.

hey Jules were did you stay on the west coast??

I spent some time there too, some of the best times of my life!

cheerio

chatterbug

Edited by chatterbug

Hi there

Welcome to the forum and to Oz. I arrived mid November, we camped in our house for 4 weeks until our stuff arrived and I must say it all adds to the experience. A colleague of mine immigrated a few weeks after I did and she stays in Carindale in Brisbane, she is a member of this forum and I she would love to meet up with you and she has a litte one who is also around 4. You can send her a private email her name is Nadine.

Good Luck and best wishes, its so great knowing other people are in the same boat as you are and we too must to the PR route as we are also here on a 457 visa. Get our PR is going to be nerve racking but at least we are here.

Hi

Small world - I have met Nadine the first week in Feb at a Braai in the Carindale area!!!! We already have contacted each other a couple of times.

Thanks for the best wishes and good luck to you guys as well!!!!

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi Rialet,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you will meet some new and interesting ppl here.. :D and hope you make some great friends along the way.

Love

Seoul Sister

;)

Welcome Rialet!

I am an Oud-Affie(1976) and grew up in Marais Street in Brooklyn.

married a wild boy from the Deutsche Schule (did you ever dance on the tables at the Oktoberfest?)

and have been on the Gold Coast for 4.3 years!

next time join us for COFFEE!

I am an Oud-Affie(1976) and grew up in Marais Street in Brooklyn.
Sjoe! Dan's ons mos jaargenote! Ek was nou nie in die grootste Afrikaanse skool in die wêreld nie, maar nogtans! ;)

I am an Oud-Affie

Oud Affie... MMmmmmm.

One of the best schools in South Africa. I'm impressed.

Oud Affie... MMmmmmm.

One of the best schools in South Africa. I'm impressed.

Please dont be ....You have no idea how I hated it.

To be honest -I think I was one of those "angry" teenagers who hated rules-And boy-did they have rules.

But now I am middle-aged with 3 teenagers of my own......need I say more?

I have great respect for Affies now.

Well I sometimes wish we had some (not all) of that discipline/ rules in schools now. Things certainly have changed over the decades. I had great respect for Affies. I say 'had' because I have no idea what they are like now.