Driver's License in Victoria : Updated 20/03/2013

Mara

Hi Basil

Don't do your test in the city centre or surrounds, you'll have to deal with trams etc which can be a nightmare!

My husband did his at Oakleigh, and it was a breeze.

I did mine at Seaford and I had a gruelling test, apparently a new examiner keen to impress his bosses.

It didn't seem to matter where we lived and where we did our tests.

I took about 4 lessons, and then I was my husband's instructor! I would advise taking a few lessons so you are aware of your own bad habits.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

I also did mine in Oakleigh - good suburban roads, few main roads so the examiner can see you know what you are doing and then all good. Definately worth getting lessons they point out what the examiner is looking for and if you use their car so much the better - saves you stressing the car may not be roadworthy or up to the standards required. I am not sure if they fuss about residential address. Remember you will have to sit the learners and the hazards perceptions test and then arrange a date for the actual licence. Can be weeks ahead or just around the corner depending on how lucky or unlucky you are.

• Like 1

i Booked mine last week and is going tomorrow for my learners and hazard perception tests at oakleigh, and drivers on 5th september

If you book all 3 at the same time you only pay admin fee once.

I had to show passport

bank card with my names on

Bank statement with address on

• Like 1

:wacko: Not a happy girl!

Passed my learners hooha 91%

Failed my hazard perception - what the .. was that! If you slow down too quickly it is unsafe...??? Cant help it my eyes are so good - I can see the moon! haha

To top it all - they 1st wanted a letter from the consulate to state that my SA drivers license is a valid document (because it is laminated and they cannot see what they are suppose to see under a certain light)..but in the end not needed because......we validated our visas more than 6 months ago...so my 6 months have lapsed..SA drivers license no good any more...not allowed to drive alone..only like a learner driver, with a L in the window and someone with a license with me..oh my goodness! Now I have to pass my haz test on 1st Aug and then my drivers on 5 sept

Any advice on the haz test?

Oh Baobab I feel for you, shame!

We were in the same position, did our activation in 2009, so when we arrived last year our SA licence was not valid, from day 1. What a mission - we had to walk everywhere, and use pubic transport, with two small kids. Travels to our christmas day lunch took 2 hours one way ... believe me I feel for you. Only time I could drive was with an experienced driver, and a L plate.

Hazard perception is ridiculous, it's not about perceiving the hazard, it's about hitting the button at the right time! Practice the tests, over and over, you can find some online, I think on the vicroads equivalent sites in the other states, Vicroads is supposed to have one, but it didn't work for me. I did the online ones about 100 times and passed the test first time.

I got about 10 different stories about my SA licence and what to do with it. In a nutshell it is useless, get the Australian one asap.

Good luck!

Thanks i appreciate your kind words mcbear!

The problem is also you dont get any feedback on what you did wrong.

What made me feel better was afterwards in chadstone mall my friend and I were complaining to everyone that wanted (or not) to listen in one of the shoe stores - and low and behold, an ausie girl chipped in and said that is the most ridiculous test ever! so even they think it is beyond stupid!

I will try and find some tests online - and practice my hard out, before next time.

Now I have to catch the bus tomorrow for my interview .....

• 10 months later...

Seems things have changed - now you can just get your license changed from SA to Aus.

Before this we were also wondering about the 6 month thing because we came in more than 6 months after we validated our visa on a short trip. After doing the learners license and the perception test we were told that they can issue us with a learners license card or we can just hold on to the paper copy until we do the drivers test. However, we needed the learners card because you use it as proof of identity for nearly everything at the beginning, just makes is easier. The guy at VicRoads said to me that it is a bit of a gray area having the learners license and the international license. Technically we are allowed to drive for 6 months on the international license, but the traffic police might have a problem if we show our learners license instead of the international license. It seems a bit convoluted, but the best option is to get the actual drivers test done as soon as possible.

VicRoads also said that coming into Aus for a week to validate the visa was not enough time to get a license, so our 6 months only started when we entered later more permanently. How they enforce this, and who keeps track of when you entered, I wouldn't know.

Edited by Danduppie

If you look at the first message in this thread, it is written in big bold red letters, the law has changed, you can just update your RSA license to a Victorian license.

Thanks Mara,

I saw the line of red text but didn't realise the implications of it. Only after I posted my little piece and went to VicRoards website did I see what it actually means. I am super excited about this change, and I immediately made my appointment to have my license converted. I've been putting it off because I didn't want to redo the drivers, meanwhile things had changed.

No problem, happy driving!