Belated intro - destination Warragul VIC

NotLookingBack

Hi everyone,

I have been on the forum for quite a while already, so I guess with today's "sortof" good news I might as well do a decent intro.

We live in Durban, and won USA green cards in the 2009 green card lottery this year - got our passports stamped end of June. We were on our way, well in my mind I was! (started selling our furniture already!), and then the curveball came - hubby got a draft job offer (still had to be approved by head office in the USA) about a month ago for a position in AUS!!! Problem was that he was also on the short-list for a senior position at the head office in the USA.

Talk about decisions to be made. :blink:

We did quite a bit of research (and asked for some input on this forum), and eventually decided that Aus would be a better option for us as a family, so we had to withdraw the application for the USA position (they wouldn't approve the Aus position while he was in the running for the USA position - yes, quite a messy story, I know :), and we eventually got word today that the Aus position has now been approved by the company, and they are starting the AUS visa process for us next week!

It seems as if it will be a 457 and then an 856 as soon as we arrive in Aus. Not 100% sure, we will find out on Monday, but their immigration lawyer will apparently handle everything for us.

We are a bit nervous still, as hubby turned 45 last month, and we realise there will have to be special motivations to get everything approved. So we might travel to Aus via the USA in order to validate our green cards just incase our 856 is not approved!

Now I am gearing up for the roller coaster ride. Seems like the ETA in Aus is end October if the 457 doesn't drag out, and we still have to sell house, cars, get container quotes, book flights, sort out house, etc etc. :ilikeit:

But at least we now know where we think we are going - this morning we were still not sure whether we were going to end up in the US, or in Aus! Now that the position has been approved at least, I can plan, and start getting my head around the BIG MOVE - in the opposite direction to what I have been planning for the last 4 months! Who said life was boring?

We will apparently be based in Warragul, apparently about 45mins to an hour S-E from Melbourne (?), not sure whether there are any Saffers there yet!!??

Can't wait!

Hi there

What a tough choice to make. I think both countries have a lot to offer.

Good luck with everything that lies ahead.

Bailie

Welcome from another Durbanite !

We moved over last year - also in our early 40s - had to sell up everything in about 2 months - keep positive and motivated and you guys will get there. With the decisions you've had to make sofar you're halfway there.

Good luck with your plans,

We will apparently be based in Warragul, apparently about 45mins to an hour S-E from Melbourne (?), not sure whether there are any Saffers there yet!!??

Can't wait!

That's quite a rollercoaster. Good luck with it all. :ilikeit:

I'd say it's more like an hour and a half from Melbourne at least - we're 45 to an hour from Melbourne and Warragul's another half an hour from us. It's not a bad little place, kinda reminds me of a very small Pietermaritzburg in a way. I have heard of a South African or two in Warragul on the forum, I think - just do a forum search on Warragul, you might find it. It's a smallish town, but the good thing is you have Traralgon (slightly bigger) nearby, and then if you need a city fix, it's not far to Melbourne.

Best of luck. Shout if you have more questions.

Thanks everyone!

Glad to hear you've made a decision and the ball is rolling!

All the best with the future and all the planning and organising!

And if you need any advice or are unsure about something, just ask. :blink:

Congrats on hubby's Aus job! :ilikeit:

Archived