Info on LSD trip to Perth

Janneman_Kie

Hi (or Howdey mate)

We are coming for a LSD trip during the last week of September (19th till 27th) and to do a few interviews. We would really appreciate a few tips on the process.

What do you think are "must see" in the Perth area ? I have heard people say that a trip to Margaret River is a must. Is a one day trip enough or should we sleep over ? And where ? Should we drive down in the rental or take a bus tour ?

Any other interesting places to see ?

Then on the IELTS - I have heard people say it is a bit easier if you do it in Aus and the time to get an appointment here in South Africa is very long. Can and should I do it in Perth while we are there. I really hope that I will get a job offer during the interview process.

Schools, I have looked at the different forums and there is a lot of info. Our son is a normal 8 year old and in grade 3, our concern is about his adaption in the new english school from afrikaans. Would he be able to make some of his friends in afrikaans during the initial period. How did the other afrikaans youngsters fare ?

What happened to house prices during credit crunch ? I thought we should rent for a while and then look to buy after knowing Perth a bit better. Would the first time home buyers government grant still be on for a while ?

Lastly, we seem to be missing the coffee meetings which is every 1st and 3rd week ? Are there any other meetings or get togethers during that time ?

Please forgive if this was posted in the wrong place and sorry for the barrage of questions.

groete

Ian & Kie

Hi (or Howdey mate)

We are coming for a LSD trip during the last week of September (19th till 27th) and to do a few interviews. We would really appreciate a few tips on the process.

What do you think are "must see" in the Perth area ? I have heard people say that a trip to Margaret River is a must. Is a one day trip enough or should we sleep over ? And where ? Should we drive down in the rental or take a bus tour ?

Then on the IELTS - I have heard people say it is a bit easier if you do it in Aus and the time to get an appointment here in South Africa is very long. Can and should I do it in Perth while we are there. I really hope that I will get a job offer during the interview process.

Schools, I have looked at the different forums and there is a lot of info. Our son is a normal 8 year old and in grade 3, our concern is about his adaption in the new english school from afrikaans. Would he be able to make some of his friends in afrikaans during the initial period. How did the other afrikaans youngsters fare ?

What happened to house prices during credit crunch ? I thought we should rent for a while and then look to buy after knowing Perth a bit better. Would the first time home buyers government grant still be on for a while ?

Lastly, we seem to be missing the coffee meetings which is every 1st and 3rd week ? Are there any other meetings or get togethers during that time ?

Please forgive if this was posted in the wrong place and sorry for the barrage of questions.

groete

Ian & Kie

Can't help with the Perth questions but recently did IELTS tests in Cape Town. Getting an appointment in Cape Town was easy. Only 1 month waiting period. And my understanding is those tests are standard all over the world. And if it is not, you don't have to be concerned about the RSA test. Judging from your post above, you should easily pass - my person opinion as an Afrikaans speaking laaitie :rolleyes:

The earliest IELTS date in Perth is 8 Oct. See http://www.ielts.org/test_centre_search/se...ae-34bcb85b6a11

My advice on Margaret River is to rent a car and drive down and stay at least 2 days. You'll see some of the other beautiful smaller towns especially if you take the detour via Harvey (small detour) either on your way down or back. Rottnest is worthwhile seeing but expensive. Swan Valley is very good etc.

No worries about the kids. Mine were aged 8 and 11 when we've arrived and quickly made new friends and adapted well to the English. Initially it seemed like they were learning slowly but once it got momentum they got off the ground. Remember the only Afrikaans they'll hear in Aus is in your home (okay and some friends) but everything else is English. Much easier to learn when not distracted by other languages but I don't suggest you speak English at home with them.

Hi guys!

Oh, how we would have loved to help you out.......always said that can offer a 'home from home'

accommodation to anyone coming over for a few nights......but have a guy coming over

from JHB, so am booked up.........really hope you guys get sorted out!!

Have to make a trip up to Kings Park, just too stunning for words

Good luck with everything!!

Erica

Ielts in SA . The first availible date is 8 Oct (JHB) but have a look , you can also do it in Pretoria. P.S the 'boerenooi" did a lot beter in the test than the 'englishman'. I better book our tests (again) this afternoon, we are looking at 24 Oct.

Good luck

Hestie

Hi (or Howdey mate)

groete

Ian & Kie

Hi Ian & Kie

Ons het ons validation trip Perth toe gedoen in Junie 2009.

Probeer die volgende inpas:

* Rottnest Island (ferry trip - hele dag)

* Caversham Wildlife Park

* Swan River ferry cruise

* Aquarium - Hillary's Boat Harbour

* Freemantle Harbour - waterfront met baie restaurante

Geniet dit !

Groete

W

Wow, thanks guys and girls,

It seems that I will have to try and do the IELTS here in South Africa. I was just a bit worried about traveling south past the "boerewors gordyn" to Jo'burg to do it :) Will hopefully pass it first time.

Thanks also for all the places to see - I will Google and Google Earth each of them. Does anybody know if it is possible to rent a GPS to find all these nice places. I can buy the Aus maps for my Garmin here in Pretoria but it costs R2500 ! Ouch !

Thanks for the offer to stay also. The friendly and helpful people on the Perth side makes us so much more enthusiastic to come and have a look.

Thanks for the help so far.

Ian

Wow, thanks guys and girls,

It seems that I will have to try and do the IELTS here in South Africa. I was just a bit worried about traveling south past the "boerewors gordyn" to Jo'burg to do it B) Will hopefully pass it first time.

Thanks also for all the places to see - I will Google and Google Earth each of them. Does anybody know if it is possible to rent a GPS to find all these nice places. I can buy the Aus maps for my Garmin here in Pretoria but it costs R2500 ! Ouch !

Thanks for the offer to stay also. The friendly and helpful people on the Perth side makes us so much more enthusiastic to come and have a look.

Thanks for the help so far.

Ian

Hi Ian

Your rental car will have an option to include a GPS, normally reasonable rates.

Rgds

W :ilikeit:

Archived