Cheaper Courier

JacoE

Hi All,

When my skills assesment application was ready for sending, I popped in at Postnet which is just around the corner from me in order to send the paperwork to NIA and was quoted about R460. Postnet uses DHL.

I left not having sent the package. I called my wife who was home and asked her to use the yellow pages and get quotes from as many couriers as she could. She 'phone 6 or 7 places and they all quoted between R420 and R500 except one. Interestingly, DHL quoted me exactly the same amount as Postnet.

I called this other company (they operate from a house in Rooihuiskraal not too far from the library). They quoted R187. (!). I thought for that price I would take the plunge and see what happens. Basically the guy running it calls himself a courier broker and he just does the paperwork and farms the work out to a company called OCS Worldwide who collects from his premises. One can also track the packages on their website (www.ocs.co.za). I was told to have the package there before 16:00 in order to have it in Australia in 4 to 5 days. That was Wednesday 29 November. I was there about 15:30, paid the R187 and on Monday afternoon when doing my banking online I noticed the amount for the assessment had been reserved on my credit card. In other words it took 3 business days plus the bit on Wednesday evening from sending to NIA receiving the package. According to the tracking info NIA received it at 14:08 on Monday afternoon. (Arrived in Melbourne from Sydney at 7:15)

The courier's name is LINK-IT COURIER BROKERS. I spoke to Jacques at 012 661 2981. (link-it@mweb.co.za).

NB: This all applies to my paperwork which was under 0,5kg, which is the minimum weight quoted on.

Jaco

Edited by JacoE

Wow, thanks!!! I'll definitely give them a shout!

Baie dankie, JacoE!!!

Dit gaan my baie help! :ilikeit: ek moet juis een van die dae goed courier Oz toe, so jou raad kom net betyds!

Liza :ilikeit:

JacoE Thanks!

Just the type of info I was wondering about!

I am sending my 136 application in within the next week so very handy!!

:ilikeit:

I was voicing the same gripe just this week on my NZ blog. DHL charged me R434 to send my documents to NZ, but the NZ Qualifications Authority only charges NZ$36 (R180) to send it back?

Seems like DHL and the like are shafting us.

Here is the link to their website :

http://www.ocs.co.za/