English.....

Toitjie

I have posted recently on my LSD to Canberra how afraid I am of my kids and their adapting, especially to the new language, of which they dont know very much...or so I thougt

we are in Margate at the moment and my 5 year old made a new friend, also a 5 year old little girl (English). I was astonished to hear those 2 talking, non-stop chittering like 2 little birds.

Admittedly, mine's English is not perfect, but she is so willing to communicate, and nothing phases her! I sat with them at the pool, and the other gilr had her "vlerkies" on so she could swim in the deep-end, so mine said, without batting an eye-lash "ok lets see if you can vordrink or not"

I nearly choked on my colddrink, that was just so cute!

Love it! But you wait and see, you'll be amazed at how quickly she becomes fluent with speaking English :) Just keep on exposing her to English speaking peers.

Dax

I have posted recently on my LSD to Canberra how afraid I am of my kids and their adapting, especially to the new language, of which they dont know very much...or so I thougt

we are in Margate at the moment and my 5 year old made a new friend, also a 5 year old little girl (English). I was astonished to hear those 2 talking, non-stop chittering like 2 little birds.

Admittedly, mine's English is not perfect, but she is so willing to communicate, and nothing phases her! I sat with them at the pool, and the other gilr had her "vlerkies" on so she could swim in the deep-end, so mine said, without batting an eye-lash "ok lets see if you can vordrink or not"

I nearly choked on my colddrink, that was just so cute!

That is cute! Don't worry the kids will be just fine and in no time they will be speaking like their Aussie friends.

All the best.

Arent kids so sweet !

Must say I have visions of the Margate beach and wish I was there enjoying the lovely KZN sunshine. So jealous !

I am french speaking - arrived in SA without knowing a single word at age 7 - my parents didnt speak the lingo either - so what Im trying to say is your little ones will pick it up very quickly. In a few months they may teach you a word or two !! And I bet they'll have the accent to go with their new language skills. :whome:

• 1 month later...

The family was driving somewhere and I asked my son that he can choose a birthday party or a expensive present. So he said he rather want an expensive present at which my little daughter 6 at that stage said " If Charles (my son) doesnt want his party can I have then"...

That's just priceless!

You really should write all these down so one day you can remind them about it.

Sounds like your daughter is going to be just fine speaking English :ilikeit: