Anyone in the construction industry in Canberra?

JennyG

I would like to know if there is anybody on the forum who is in the construction industry in Canberra or know of such people. Would like to have a chat!

Hi Jenny

I'm on the consulting side of civil engineering, but I think a good starting point would be to look the following sites.

They are the major contractors in Australia, but there are quite a few others as well.

www.abigroup.com.au

www.leightoncontractors.com.au

www.thiess.com.au

www.johnholland.com.au

I also think construction opportunities will be limited in ACT as it is such a small area compared to the other states.

Hope this helps

Regards

Canberra may be smaller but you need to look at percentages - it has the lowest unemployment rate of all the Australian cities so your chance of getting a job is higher.

I hope you are right emily. As far as I understand most of the jobs are government positions.

Yeah, I am a consulting structural engineer, what do you want to know ?

PM me if you have any questions.

Mike

Jenni - my OH works for a consulting engineering firm in Canberra. Is there anything specific you would like to know ?

Are you worried about finding work - is the industry dead etc ???? What type of construction - houses or larger buildings ?

Emily is quite right in saying that you have to look at the % and not the overall size of Canberra. Yes most are government employed, but they have to live and shop somewhere !!!

Yeah, I am a consulting structural engineer, what do you want to know ?

PM me if you have any questions.

Mike

Hi Mike

My hubby is a sales rep more or less in the construction industry. He works for a company that manufactures curbs for roads and paving blocks (barrier curbs, mountable and semi-mountable curbs), and Pretoria and Jo'burg is expanding at such a rapid rate that they cant stay ahead with orders. How is this kind of industry in Canberra?

thanx

y