Need a house sitter? Looking for short term housing in Sydney

SydneyBound

My husband and I are moving to Sydney on a working holiday visa next month. We are having a hard time finding a short-term place that will allow us somewhere to stay while trying to find a more permanent home. We have tried Craigslist and Gumtree, but no one responds. We're getting a bit worried that we won't have a place to stay when we arrive.

Does anyone need a housesitter, even for a couple of weeks? We are a quiet couple in our late twenties, no kids, and can pay up to $350/week.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I are moving to Sydney on a working holiday visa next month. We are having a hard time finding a short-term place that will allow us somewhere to stay while trying to find a more permanent home. We have tried Craigslist and Gumtree, but no one responds. We're getting a bit worried that we won't have a place to stay when we arrive.

Does anyone need a housesitter, even for a couple of weeks? We are a quiet couple in our late twenties, no kids, and can pay up to $350/week.

Have you tried the websites that cater for housesitters, like aussiehousesitters.com.au? Perhaps someone on there would be able to help you. Just a word of caution though... We had a housesitting position all lined up when we came over, the guy said we could move in when we arrived, and then when we got here he changed his mind. So make sure you have some kind of agreement before you arrive. We were lucky in that my sister lives in Toowoomba, about 2 hours from Brisbane where we now live, so we could visit for a week and make alternate arrangements My husband's company arranged for a free 3 week accommodation in a furnished apartment, or else we would have had a very difficult time finding accommodation. The rental market here is quite tough, it's not like in SA where the first person to put down a deposit gets the place. Here you have to apply along with a bunch of other people and hope that they end up choosing you!

What about renting a cabin in a caravan park? Where will you be working or are you thinking of staying? Send me a PM if you want names of caravan parks.

SAS