There seems to be zero IT & T Jobs in Perth lately.

Johan du Toit

When I started this process so long ago, it was impossible to know how difficult it would be to secure employment in Aus. The recession has hit hard and there seems to be nothing available. Not even 1 ad.

I was promoted to Product Manager for a Telecommunications company about a year ago and I survived a recent big retrenchment cycle. We have moved into a lovely security estate after I had to sell the house in preparation for the big move. Life is quite good, but we are trying our best to keep the big picture in mind to keep us motivated.

I guess you can say we are lucky that there is no great pressure on us to move to Aus now that we have the PR Visa, but I am so excited for the challenges ahead, that I can hardly wait. I just wish I actually had money to relocate.

My only hope is to secure employment in Perth before we are forced to enter by 11 June 2010. That is the only way I could secure loans to pay for flights and furniture. I wish I could be there already.

If anyone can think of anything. Here is my details:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johandutoit2000

I would look at any opportunity in the IT&T industries, but would love to work for a broadband or mobile tech company. I am hoping that these type of companies are all just waiting for the worst of the GEC to pass. Hopefully I can get an offer soon. I am available for Skype interviews.

The funny thing is that there is a lot of work for my wife. She is 23, but she is hair stylist to Minki Visser and very good at what she does. Her salary would just not cut it, so going with only an offer for her on the table is 'high risk' in my book. We are hoping she would not even have to work. It would be great if she could spend more time with our boy. He is three. We sent him to an English pre-school about 4 months ago. He is starting adapt very nicely. By the time we get there, he should be able to understand everyone. Hopefully.

Hi Werner

Are you adamant about it being Perth? Perhaps you should cast your net further out, I know there are opportunities out there in Melbourne!

Hi

Yes Mara, I've been looking in VIC, Melbourne. I'm looking for something in admin, but I've seen tons of IT postings. Werner have you tried seek.co.au?

Hi Werner

Are you adamant about it being Perth? Perhaps you should cast your net further out, I know there are opportunities out there in Melbourne!

We have State Sponsorship for Western Australia. I do not believe in moving to a place just because there is work. I say, find the place you love and find work there. Obviously you need skills that would make you employable anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Werner I would really have a look on seek.com.au, also seeing that you are on linkedin, you can also join the Australian IT groups, there are a couple. I am also on the Australian ICT and IT groups, using my alias. I am not in Australia yet, leaving end of October, but I'm going to Sydney. I agree that going where the jobs are isn't really the optimum solution, and in your case, being state sponsored, not an option either. However, I think you should look for opportunities in the entire WA and not just in Perth, there are other towns, very nice along the coast which should have positions as well. I just did a quick search on seek.com.au : http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/index.asc...earchtype=again, have a look, you never know.

• 1 month later...

Hi Werner. Did you do research re hairstylist salaries in Australia? Salaries here work differently to South Africa and you may find that your wifes salary (should she find work) may be enough to carry you until you find something.

Hi Werner. Did you do research re hairstylist salaries in Australia? Salaries here work differently to South Africa and you may find that your wifes salary (should she find work) may be enough to carry you until you find something.

Werner, hope you guys have not given up hope. My husband is in IT and I am a hairdresser and have been in Sydney for 11 months now. I have previously worked in Stellenbosch and also in London for 11 years. As a hairdresser I got PR to Aus no problem, the only thing is my salary here is pathetic. I am 35, have been a hairdresser since for ever and over here I earn $19 per hour. (Cleaners make $20 per hour) Takes about a year to earn a tiny commission and nobody gives you any tips. :rolleyes:

For the first time since I was a apprentice (many moons ago) I can not support myself financially. Yes my salary adds to the pot, but dont bank on your wife to support your family for any length of time by herself, unless you have savings. We arrived end Nov last year and my husband got two jobs within about 2 weeks. PS. I'm also from Somerset West.

PM me if you have any questions regarding IT or hairdressing.

I am sure it will be enough. We were almost attacked in our home inside security estate on Thursday morning. I caught them as they were breaking open the sliding door, while we were sleeping. I am getting more desperate by the minute. Perhaps it is time to consider this option. Lots of work for hair stylists.

We will stay in a caravan if we have to. Only for a few months.... hopefully. Now to convince my wife. Not easy.

Werner, hope you guys have not given up hope. My husband is in IT and I am a hairdresser and have been in Sydney for 11 months now. I have previously worked in Stellenbosch and also in London for 11 years. As a hairdresser I got PR to Aus no problem, the only thing is my salary here is pathetic. I am 35, have been a hairdresser since for ever and over here I earn $19 per hour. (Cleaners make $20 per hour) Takes about a year to earn a tiny commission and nobody gives you any tips. :rolleyes:

For the first time since I was a apprentice (many moons ago) I can not support myself financially. Yes my salary adds to the pot, but dont bank on your wife to support your family for any length of time by herself, unless you have savings. We arrived end Nov last year and my husband got two jobs within about 2 weeks. PS. I'm also from Somerset West.

PM me if you have any questions regarding IT or hairdressing.

I am sure she would at least be able to cover rent in a caravan? We will have about AUS$20000, but that is my pension. How pathetic, my whole life savings is 2 months pay in Aus. Do not really want to start spending that.

Werner,

there may be exceptions and certainly I've been trolling Seek.com.au looking for them, but as a general rule Australian IT companies seem to want to meet you, on the ground, and in Australia. In my sector - C# development - I'm had a number of nibbles, but as yet, no one willing to offer employment from afar. They want to meet. Others want an immediate start.

Not sure if others in IT have had similar experiences...?

Regards,

Dion

• 1 month later...

Werner, if you have State Sponsorship for Western Australia, do you have to do restrict yorself to IT? When we arrived on a PR, I did not work for 3 months to help settle in, while my husband works at Bunnigs (huge hardware store here) doing night fill (packing sheves) for $23.50 p/h. That helped us through and being in the the 'low income bracket' we even got rent assistance from Centrelink.. So when we both began working fulltime, we gave back to the government in the form of taxes and it's helping others now!

I too am in IT and promise you, that what you see on seek.com.au and careerone.com.au is not the true refelction of the economy. Try contacting a few recruitment agancies or even companies directly, you would suprised. I found my first job by applying directly to the company, without an advertised job, and they called and I started within a week... I was looking on seek and websites too long before that..

I hope you have found something .. it's not good to live in such a stressful situation for too long.. Just take the chance! (though that sounds too easy)