Got a job while still in SA

Maloui

Hi all,

just because I know how I stressed about this, I want to let you know about my experience.

I have been job hunting for 3 weeks now, with ALL my registrations and papers in order. I have applied for about 10 positions in Adelaide only, and I have seccured employment. I only applied for jobs advertised on seek.com.au and careerone.com.au and about every single one responded, even if just by telling me they will keep my resume on file.

Anyway, I am a psychologist and found the direct route to send your info to the company (no recruiter) worked great. I used a lot of humour, not sarcasm, and I think the relaxed attitute did wonders.

I applied last Friday, got a skype interview on Monday morning. Interview 20 minutes (about who I am and why I am moving, and why I want to do the specific job). They asked me for an example of reports that I have done for clients (to assess my report writing skills) and I provided these on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning they send me a letter with the offer, and we negotiated until I accepted today!!

I have also been contacted for 3 other interviews, of which I have done 1 and declined 2 others today.

I think what helped me is definitely the qualification, but also the attitude with which I presented myself. When they asked what package I wanted, I said I have done research and see the payrange is form $** to $##, and I will be willing to start looking at the lower range, if it can be re-negotiated after 6 months. I also asked about training and support a lot, which I could see they were happy with, a recruiter and lots of people on the forum have indicated that they like you to fit in, and not stand out. I think to get into an industry, this is very important at first.

So, to conclude, a skype interview, where they can see you and hear your voice, are sometimes good enough!!! Keep at it, there is options out there.

O yes, and in my personalised cover letter I stated that I will be happy to do skype interviews...

Edited by Maloui

Maloui... That's fantastic news!

Where will you be based?

All the best,

red

Maloui... That's fantastic news!

Where will you be based?

All the best,

red

Hi Red, I will be working in Sturt st, in Adelaide. I am also a cyclist so I'll meet you in the parks as well... Problem is, do I bring the road bike, or the mountainbike... Road is much lighter for the luggage...

Problem is, do I bring the road bike, or the mountainbike... Road is much lighter for the luggage...

Mmmmmmmm.... tricky!

But any true bike lover would have to say BRING BOTH :unsure:

Or, cash in and perhaps treat yourself when you arrive... That's what we did... :ilikeit:

PS...On road and off road riding here are both spectacular... you can't go wrong!

Wow Maloui!!! You give us - those who must still find jobs - good hope!!

Fantastiese nuus en baie geluk. Hopelik sien ons julle in Adelaide!!!

We're coming over to validate our 475 Visa from 24 August to 04 September and will be making the move as soon as our baby has arrived, we have managed to secure a passport for him, lodged Visa application for baby and evidenced Visa in passport (by my calculations in August next year).

Good luck and please keep us posted! Always great to see feedback from ple in Adelaide (Red's journal is a God-send!!!).

Geniet 'n stresvrye naweek!!

Nicci

hi,

check with the airlines but the bikes should not be part of your allocated 20kg and are seen as sports equipment and normally they allow for 15Kgs for this

regards

Robert

Wow, cool, thanks Robert. Ill try to find out about the sports equipment!

Nicci, we are flying over on the 27th of August. See you there!!!

Hi all,

just because I know how I stressed about this, I want to let you know about my experience.

I have been job hunting for 3 weeks now, with ALL my registrations and papers in order. I have applied for about 10 positions in Adelaide only, and I have seccured employment. I only applied for jobs advertised on seek.com.au and careerone.com.au and about every single one responded, even if just by telling me they will keep my resume on file.

Anyway, I am a psychologist and found the direct route to send your info to the company (no recruiter) worked great. I used a lot of humour, not sarcasm, and I think the relaxed attitute did wonders.

I applied last Friday, got a skype interview on Monday morning. Interview 20 minutes (about who I am and why I am moving, and why I want to do the specific job). They asked me for an example of reports that I have done for clients (to assess my report writing skills) and I provided these on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning they send me a letter with the offer, and we negotiated until I accepted today!!

I have also been contacted for 3 other interviews, of which I have done 1 and declined 2 others today.

I think what helped me is definitely the qualification, but also the attitude with which I presented myself. When they asked what package I wanted, I said I have done research and see the payrange is form $** to $##, and I will be willing to start looking at the lower range, if it can be re-negotiated after 6 months. I also asked about training and support a lot, which I could see they were happy with, a recruiter and lots of people on the forum have indicated that they like you to fit in, and not stand out. I think to get into an industry, this is very important at first.

So, to conclude, a skype interview, where they can see you and hear your voice, are sometimes good enough!!! Keep at it, there is options out there.

O yes, and in my personalised cover letter I stated that I will be happy to do skype interviews...

Good on you! Congrats. Now the fun and games begin.

Enjoy and all the best

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Hi There

You say the direct appraoch worked best, was it then possible to identify the companies via seek and careerone? If you have more info on this, it will be greatly appreciated!

Hi, the companies that do not use a recruiter give their own details on seek and careerone. When they say "our client seeks" its normally recruiters, and the dont always have jobs available, they want you for their books to fine companies to appoint them as their recruiting partners (what I have heard, can be wrong).

I have started work today, and it was interesting, better organised than I thought it would be for a first day. Now to learn the ropes...

hey M

congrats on getting there safely. how is it so far? How is Adelaide? Good luck with the work, it would be nerve wracking for me to arrive and start work so soon after arriving. I think I would need a few weeks to acclimatize :jester: