Mandy Fernandes: Glad I found you. You guys are awesome

Mandy Fernandes

Hi Everyone

'Joined about a week ago, but only just figured out how to poste a message. We've been here for just over 3 months now. We're based in Point Cook. The Ozzies tell me there are 100's of South Africans in Point Cook, so where are you guys?

This site is absolutely awsome. It helps knowing that we're not going thru this on our own. I can so relate to DocRip and having to rehome his doggies. I found a home for my spaniel jus before we left and then a week ago the lady called to say she'd moved into a townhouse and the spaniel was barking to much and she needed to get rid of her. Thank goodness for the Junk Mail and my vet.

I managed to find another home for her from here.

Thanks everyone for sharing! It makes the journey a lighter one.

Regards

Mandy

Hi Mandy and a big welcome to this awesome forum !

The support around here definately makes the journey lighter.

Hi Mandy.

Welcome. Now I have to google Point Cook

Sorry, Point Cook, Melbourne, Victoria. Point Cook will merge with Werribee soon.

Jordy, we lived in Weltevreden Park before we came to Ozz. Point Cook is very similar to the West Rand, not sure if you were around when they were putting up all those townhouses on Hendrik Potgieter. Honeydew was always a "lekker" place, just the crime is hectic. My nephew lived there and had to moved back home to his mom only last week because they broke into his place. He lived in a cottage on a plot.

Beat you to it, Jordy. It's in Melbourne :ilikeit:

Welcome, Mandy - glad you found us!

Welcome to the forum! I also get told by the Aussies that there are 100's of South Africans in Toowoomba - haven't met too many yet...

Hi Mandy

Welcome to Melbourne and the west in particular! Although I am not in Pt Cook, not that far away, we live in Sunbury, north of you. You are always welcome to make contact and pop around for a coffee! Also keep a look out for our next get together or ladies tea under Melbourne!

Welcome to the forum, Mandy.

Keep an eye open for social events we promote on the forum. We organize picnics and other fun get togethers for ladies all the time. Always a good opportunity to meet other South Africans.

Yippppeeeeeeeeee, someone to talk to. Thanks everyone! I'll definitely watchout for the next event, by the way I'm happy to host a tea/coffee event anytime, if that's how it works.

Baie danke.............julle's te oulik!

Hi Everyone

'Joined about a week ago, but only just figured out how to poste a message. We've been here for just over 3 months now. We're based in Point Cook. The Ozzies tell me there are 100's of South Africans in Point Cook, so where are you guys?

This site is absolutely awsome. It helps knowing that we're not going thru this on our own. I can so relate to DocRip and having to rehome his doggies. I found a home for my spaniel jus before we left and then a week ago the lady called to say she'd moved into a townhouse and the spaniel was barking to much and she needed to get rid of her. Thank goodness for the Junk Mail and my vet.

I managed to find another home for her from here.

Thanks everyone for sharing! It makes the journey a lighter one.

Regards

Mandy

Hi Mandy

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find some of those Saffers in Point Cook!

Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum Mandy!

Am sure you will meet some forum friends in Melbourne!

Have a fab weekend!

HI!

Welcome in Melbourne!!

Hope you are settling in well and discover all the new places and things to do.

Guest TazinOz

Hi Mandy,

This is only my second post, but I am so happy to hear that you are in Point Cook. Our family will be moving to Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook in September this year. We are so excited because I too have heard that there are many South Africans living in the area.

I would really appreciate any info you have on the area, because we were over last year but of course you can't really appreciate the area when you are only there for a few days.

I managed to get our boys (aged 12 and 7) enrolled at Westbourne Grammar in Truganina which has been a huge relief. I think as a parent you usually stress more about how your kids are going to cope than anything else. Knowing that the boys will be in a school very similar to the one they are in now has made our life a little easier.

I am sure you are familiar with the Point Cook Town Centre. My husband will be working as a GP at the Point Cook Medical Centre. When we were over last year, I could not believe how awesome it was.

As I said, I am very keen to hear about the area so I look forward to your next post.

Cheers

Taz :stretcher:

Hi Taz

I have a 4 yr old daughter and have just gone thru the process of enrolling her for next years pre primary. Western Grammer was one of the schools we looked at. From what I've gathered with regards to schools it sounds like Western Grammar is one of the top schools around. They told me there was a 2 yr waiting list for pre primary applicants, so good on you for getting your boys in.

There are boards up stating that the food court (460 seater) at the Point Cook Town Centre will be completed in Nov'09. They have a Norma Jeans - hubby and I enjoy our caramel latte's. They always have something going for the smaller ones over the weekend i.e. jumping castles, face painting, pony rides.

The next town/suburb close to Point Cook is Werribee. They have a fairly large mall, with a cinema, library. Big W is very similar to Dions and Game. Priceline is similar to Clicks. There's a stunning ladies clothes store called "Millers". Their clothes are very similar to M'Ladies, and they're always having specials. Hoppers Crossing is on the other side of Point Cook. This is where you'll find all the furniture and appliance stores, a "Dischem" type pharmacy. Mac Donalds and Macafe are practically on every corner.

The Werribee Zoo and Rose Garden is +/- 10km's away. There's a war museum at the Australian Airforce base which is +/= 5km away. There's also a lovely big area for picnics with pebble beaches. The beaches in Altona are better for swimming. The "snowy mountains" are only +/- 11/2hrs away from us.

There's a walking club that meets once a week in Altona Meadows. A coffee club meets once a month at the "Coffee Club" in Point Cook CBD.

We used to shop weekly at the Hyperama when we were in SA.We took our weekly Hyperama bill, went online to Coles and did a similar shop. Our SA bill was +/- R1 100.00 and the Aus bill came to +/- $176.00. This worked out pretty close to what we spend now. There are 3 of us, 2 adults, 1 child.

We initialLY got a quote from Pen Travel. They quoted , 2 adults, 1 child age 4 for the 16 April'09 at R28 000.00, then we went to IOM - International Organisation for Migration and picked up tickets for R17 000.00 with Quantas.

Not sure if I've added any value here, but you're welcome to send me a pm with any further questions and I'll try and answer them as best I can.

Cheers and arrive safe

Mandy

PS Let me know if you need assistance with transport when you land.

Guest TazinOz

Mandy you are a star ;)

Thanks for all the info and for your kind offer. I will probably have to take you up on it when we arrive.

I called IOM today and should be getting a quote on flights tomorrow. I had provisionally booked flights via Mauritius, but looking at the prices you paid, I suspect I am going to be saving a huge amount going through IOM.

I will contact you closer to the time so we can make some arrangements to meet if you are keen.

Thanks again

Taz :blush: