Government Housing

CindyB

Just and update... We were contacted by immigration SA again, they offered us the choice between the unit in Hawthorn and another slightly bigger one in Glandore!

Just for interests sake, Hawthorn is a much nicer suburb...

but if the bigger unit suits you then go for that I guess.

Great that they could assist you,

red

Hi guys! We are truly blessed. Once again things have worked out, we got the email that we will have a place to stay when we land in Adelaide from immiSA. Just keeps getting better!!! :angry:

When did you guys know where you will stay, and for how much? It seems only 10 days before arrival?

Cheers!

Hi Maloui,

We still do not know how much it will be, will let you know as soon as we know. They informed us of the are via e mail and provided a link with a map and everything.

Hi Pretorius,

Did you ask them where it will be, or do they let you know on their time schedule? Would be nice to have an approx idea, then you can start to familiarise yourself with the area!

They informed me immediatly when they made the offer and sent a confirming e mail with a link to the property on google earth with maps & pics within minutes.

An update on the cost qouted from their e mailreceived today:

"The rental is $222.00 per week and you will be required to pay a deposit of one weeks rental $222.00 plus two weeks rental in advance $444.00 making a total of $666.00. If this accommodation booking is cancelled at short notice, Housing SA reserves the right to charge you with two weeks rental in lieu of notice."

• 1 month later...
Please is there no one else that can give some input?

Hi we moved to Adelaide on 20 May 2009 and we used the government housing facilities. We got a home on Lower North East Road and it was excellent I really advice all new comers to make use of this facility. The home is fully furnished with washing amcking, heaters, micro, dishes, broom mop cutlery - all you need is bedding and food. The home we used was very neat and it was onthe bus route. Also use the meet and greet service a volunteer will pick you up from the airpor and take you to the they allocate to you. The next day the volunteer will come and take you to do your shopping apply for a tax file number and show you around. I really think these services are excellent I applied for them as soon as I got my visa and they allocated me a house within a week.

Good luck :ilikeit:

Hi Desiree and Dax

Thanks for the reply..problem is I have heard from other people on other sites that there is druggies living there? and people with other problems? I am not sure if I want to expose myself to this landing in a foreign country? I also don't know if this is true?

Anyways I will check out the link thanks

C

Hi

on the form they would ask what area you would like to live in - just tell them near to the city -

• 1 month later...

can i ask how far in advance they allocated you a house? i applied and sent them everything and they confirmed they received our application - thats it, and that we will be advised 3 weeks before we land - yikes.....i thought they allocate now for that date if there is available and then reconfirm 3 weeks before - any suggestions this adds stress for the move of what to plan etc

Hi Chandi

That is the main reason we decided not to take up the government housing option. You are actually suppose to arrange for back-up accomadation if they are unable to accomadate you...problem is you will have to pay a deposit for it and you will not get it back most places require 50% deposit...so it gets tricky.

I know there is a caravan park in Adelaide in Woodcroft think they require $100 deposit if you will be willing to take a chance. But should the government then have a place for you, you will loose the deposit..

And for us with small children the laundry option was a bit of a problem you can really go wash clothing for 1-3 hours with a 3yr old. (you might not get a place with a washing mashine)

But I don't want to make you negative I haven't heard of anyone that applied that was not accomadated.

When are you guys leaving?

hey there

we land there the 27th march...this is concerning but what can we do...

Thats the reason why we rather opted to stay in Woodcroft caravan park. Pm me your email adress then I can forward you the tarrifs and the deposit they required.