Government Housing

CindyB

I would like to know if there is any one that made use of the government housing option that is available to certain people depending on their Visa's.

I would love to hear about it. Did you have your own laundry facilities, what was the weekly rate that you had to pay, was it comfortable, and so on??? Did you maybe take photos of your place? Any info will help. :ilikeit:

We do qualify to make use of the government housing but we are not sure if we must take up the offer. It makes me panic to know that will only know if they are able to help me 10 days before we arrive?? :unsure: What if the accommodation that they have available is not in a nice suburb?? :whome:

Please share your view about the government housing.

Hi all

Thanks for the link GTrotter we know about Red's :ilikeit: journal...anyone else? :unsure:

Did anyone want to make use of the government housing but the government couldn’t accommodate???? :ilikeit:

Please any advice about the abovementioned :ilikeit:

We did ask Red and she did share her view, :ilikeit:

Please is there no one else that can give some input?

Have you contacted the Dept. of Multicultural Affairs in Adelaide? They have volunteer programmes for new migrant arrivals.

You can check out their website here.

Hope this helped

Dax

We were going to use them but they needed 3 weeks notice and we left a few days after our visa grant.

Sorry couldn't help.

But try the immigration website or ask a question and I will try find out for you,

Regards

Desiree

Hi Desiree and Dax

Thanks for the reply..problem is I have heard from other people on other sites that there is druggies living there? and people with other problems? I am not sure if I want to expose myself to this landing in a foreign country? I also don't know if this is true?

Anyways I will check out the link thanks

C

Multicultural affairs arranged private accommodation for us when we arrived, it was good but expensive.

The upside that one could leave the accommodation at any time. Don;t know if they still do this though, it was 13 years ago.

Cheers,

Dax

Hi Desiree and Dax

Thanks for the reply..problem is I have heard from other people on other sites that there is druggies living there? and people with other problems? I am not sure if I want to expose myself to this landing in a foreign country? I also don't know if this is true?

Anyways I will check out the link thanks

C

I must say I was also sceptical at first especially since I read RED'S journal from SA.

You could try it out for a week or so if you not happy then you can look for something else,

Remember low cost housing is 'just that' so dont expect a luxurious home.

See what areas they are offering in and then we can advise you on that area if that helps.

I also know they charge around $250.00- $350.00 per week and you could find a house rental for that price that you can choose.

Have you checked out www.realestate.com.au for rentals in Adeliade, it will also give you an idea of the suburbs here and how close they are to the city.

I just found this email adress on the housing site, send them all your questions and concerns and lets see what they have to say

immigration.sa@state.sa.gov.au

See ya

Des

Edited by DESIREEB

We also applied for the housing supplied by SAimmigration. Will only know in a few weeks if we got it. I am a bit worried about the availability, but it should be ok! I have survived university hostels, communes and very scary overnight places, so I am sure we wont be too shocked!

Hi Maloui

Please keep us posted.

I would also like to make use of the government housing if I can only learn a little bit more.....

The important thing with SA Housing is you never know where you are going to land up... perhaps in council flats or perhaps council houses.

What I would like to say is that I would never go back on our decision to live in the council flats for the first couple of months.

IT WAS FANTASTIC!

We didn't have to panic that we weren't going to find a rental and when we eventually did move on we were offered an Australian refernce for use in future rentals.

We lived with all sorts of people, as I am sure those that read my journal will remember... but isn't that what society is like in reality. It was just made obvious because we lived in the block of flats and it was up close and personal!

None of those people we lived with were bad people. I was weary of some... but hey... I'd just landed from a country where you had to be completely on gaurd...

No burgalar bars and one lock separated us all... WE WERE SAFE!!!

We lived in an AMAZING area, much more of an upmarket area than where we landed up getting our 12 month rental.

The council rental was clean and hygenic and had all utensils, furniture and aplliances we needed.

We had three months to find a place to settle, enough time for hubby to find a job and then decide what area would suit us.

It cost an amazing $169.00 a week.... believe me... that's good.

It's not all about the housing either. You are designated a volunteer that helps you with anything you may need help and advise with.

We did not 'use' our volunteer... but that's just us... we wanted to do it on our own.

She did meet us at the aiport though (along with Bob) and get us to the rental... She's checked up on us a couple of times, but gave up eventually when she realised we were doing just fine!!

We also got so much info and pamphlets... and a free mapbook... which has proved to be our best welcoming present yet!

So in my opinion... if you qualify for govt. housing, and you want to save a little... GO FOR IT!

We also applied for the housing supplied by SAimmigration. Will only know in a few weeks if we got it. I am a bit worried about the availability, but it should be ok! I have survived university hostels, communes and very scary overnight places, so I am sure we wont be too shocked!

You'll be fine!!! :ilikeit:

Thanks for helping with advice here, Red :ilikeit:

Cheers,

Dax

Tanks Red...... We decided to GO FOR IT.............

Im just worried that we might not be so lucky and they are unable to help??? Does anyone know of a situation like this?

Hi Guys,

I applied for on arrival accommodation six months ago in stead of the six weeks specified, they notified me today that they can't assist. We fly to Adelaide on 19 Aug. Therefor I suggest everyone take time to research alternatives.

Edited by Pretorius

Thanks for letting us know.......

Did you gave specific suburbs or were you ok to stay anywhere?

I have a backup Woodcroft Caravan Park. They really gave good rates.

We initially asked for specific areas Adelaide Hills and Cambeltown, when they told us six months ago that they could not help there we said anywhere would be fine...

We are leaving on 19 Aug.

Just received a phone call this morning from immigration SA, there was a cancelation and they can help us now. Australia is an amazing country.

Great News....... In what area are you going to stay? What will your weekly rates be? How many are you in your family?

Im so happy for you.

Edited by *Cinderella*

Hi,

We are 2 adults and two kids aged 2 & 1, I will only know rates etc closer to the the time. Here is a link with pictures of the area as provided by immigration sa:

<http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=6+Egmont+Terrace,+Hawthorn+SA+5062,+Australia&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=36.917522,56.337891&ie=UTF8&ll

Just and update... We were contacted by immigration SA again, they offered us the choice between the unit in Hawthorn and another slightly bigger one in Glandore!