Anyone up North Mackay way???

Guest Durbanite

• 4 weeks later...

I am up here and lots of other South Africans. I bump into South Africans often someone told me they think 10% of Mackay are South African. I dont believe that but there are lots of us up here.

We are on our way to Airlie Beach from Canberra woow can't wait, but I would love to know if there are SAs out that way???

Hello there,

We are in Mackay, which is about an hour and a half from Airlie, there are alot of South Africans in Mackay.

PM me and give me your email addy and I will get in added onto the list here for SAFFERS, we are having a dance on the 20/08/09 I am not sure where about you are in your process..

But email me regardless, the more people we meet the better: )

my email addy is: ferreirafamily5@bigpond.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Tash

• 1 month later...
Guest Durbanite
W are in Rocky!!!!

Hi I wish I would have got yr message earlier, we drove thruo Rocky and stay over nite but in a dingy place we did not know the areas so wecold choose right!!!

Now in Airlie and loving it wow is heaven compare to Canberra.

This really feels like home, am sure you feel the same coming from Durbs, where from Durbs were you from??? we were from Durban North!!!

Still miss my friends in SA but I have made a very good friend here kind of like that special friend that I left behind she is 100% Ossie but she is filling in right as a BFF.

How long have u been in OZ??

Cheers 4 now :ilikeit:

Guest Durbanite
I am up here and lots of other South Africans. I bump into South Africans often someone told me they think 10% of Mackay are South African. I dont believe that but there are lots of us up here.

Hi Duane,

Thank you for the message, I have not been in the forum much lately, 2 busy exploring the territory and LOVING IT!!!!

I went to Mackay recently to Big W in Canelands but I still prefer Airlie is a smaller town and less complicate it anyway anything is better than Canberra. Mackay's got the 2 nice shopping centers so I'll have to come more often!!! hahahhaa

Cheerss and enjoy OZ!!!

D

A South African there we know, dealt with farmers and one of them showed him some information from the council. He said there were 7000 South Africans in the greater Mackay region. That was about 2 years ago. The census in 2006 gives a about 2000. When we arrived in 2004 there were quite a few, but over the years every week we heard new ones in the shops, hence the fact hat in 2004 it was difficult to find Boerewors there, now a lot of butchers stock it.

Duane, were you in Brisbane a few years back? I was in Mackay before you came to Aus, when you arrived I remember a post asking if anyone was going to Willowbank race way.

Hi Duane,

Thank you for the message, I have not been in the forum much lately, 2 busy exploring the territory and LOVING IT!!!!

I went to Mackay recently to Big W in Canelands but I still prefer Airlie is a smaller town and less complicate it anyway anything is better than Canberra. Mackay's got the 2 nice shopping centers so I'll have to come more often!!! hahahhaa

Cheerss and enjoy OZ!!!

D

I hope my description of Airlie was close to your reality of it.

So soon you will see Daydream, Hamilton etc. Try to go when the international yacht race is on in Aug 20-28.

http://www.hamiltonislandyachtclub.com.au/...g-yachting.aspx

Hi I wish I would have got yr message earlier, we drove thruo Rocky and stay over nite but in a dingy place we did not know the areas so wecold choose right!!!

Now in Airlie and loving it wow is heaven compare to Canberra.

This really feels like home, am sure you feel the same coming from Durbs, where from Durbs were you from??? we were from Durban North!!!

Still miss my friends in SA but I have made a very good friend here kind of like that special friend that I left behind she is 100% Ossie but she is filling in right as a BFF.

How long have u been in OZ??

Cheers 4 now :thumbdown:

I was from Queensburgh, but grew up in Umbilo and the Bluff. I have a friend that lives in Bowen pm me ur facebook details pls and we can chat like that.

Duane! That's where you are!!

Our daughter and her husband live in Airlie and so does our Son, I know of quite a few Saffer's living there. You'r going to have a lovely time living there. Lovely place!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Durbanite
I hope my description of Airlie was close to your reality of it.

So soon you will see Daydream, Hamilton etc. Try to go when the international yacht race is on in Aug 20-28.

http://www.hamiltonislandyachtclub.com.au/...g-yachting.aspx

JA mate we have been all over, thank you for all yr asisstance when I needed it.

We are loving it here, d sun shines all d time. Mu hybby gets free and very cheap tickets for the ferry (FanatSea) we are making the most of it!!!

Thanks again and hope you guys are all good!!! :ilikeit:

Dear Tash,

I have a cousin in Mackay...they've moved there about a year ago, haven't met many other Saffers - they Afrikaans speaking and are missing "home" (SA) I'm worried that they go back. They are about 45 - 50 years age group, and not kids at home anymore. Help?

Regards, Juliet.

Dear Tash,

I have a cousin in Mackay...they've moved there about a year ago, haven't met many other Saffers - they Afrikaans speaking and are missing "home" (SA) I'm worried that they go back. They are about 45 - 50 years age group, and not kids at home anymore. Help?

Regards, Juliet.

Hi Juliet. We started slow, and it is very difficult. I have friends in Mackay there who they could get to know.

If they are church going it would be a lot easier as every church there has many South Africans. I did not go to church for about 6 months after getting there. But that helped

Send me a pm with their contact details and a bit about hteir likes dislikes so I can try to put them in touch with some people I know who live there.

Our friends there dont visit this forum

Regards Mike

• 2 years later...

Hi Juliet. We started slow, and it is very difficult. I have friends in Mackay there who they could get to know.

If they are church going it would be a lot easier as every church there has many South Africans. I did not go to church for about 6 months after getting there. But that helped

Send me a pm with their contact details and a bit about hteir likes dislikes so I can try to put them in touch with some people I know who live there.

Our friends there dont visit this forum

Regards Mike

Hi Mike

I am moving to Mackay in two weeks to join my husband who has been there a few months.

I would really appreciate any information you could pass on about churches we could visit?

Regards

Amy

Hi Mike

I am moving to Mackay in two weeks to join my husband who has been there a few months.

I would really appreciate any information you could pass on about churches we could visit?

Regards

Amy

Hi Amy. Sorry for the delay. I dont visit the forum as much anymore. We have frieds at New Life (where we went). 75 Evans Avenue, North Mackay QLD 4740. Stay after and you will be introduced I think.

That was almost 4 years ago but we visited there a 2 years ago.

This is AOG and some say noisy but we liked it, very friendly people. Craig & Dave are pators there. Many South Africans and Zim's

Also there is a Baptist Church in South Mackay.

Almost all of the churches have many South Africans. The Uniting in Andergrove has many Afrikaans members

If you Pm me I can give you a few names of people we know that are really friendly

Regards

Mike