Whyalla, Renmark or Mount Gambier

Hermanpaw

Been looking at these cities as alternative to Adelaide. Any Saffers living in them? Would like to have more personal info please.

Been looking at these cities as alternative to Adelaide. Any Saffers living in them? Would like to have more personal info please.

Yes we stay in the wonderfull dry Riverland - sended you a PM, here is our Local newspaper if you want to get more info about our beatiful :ilikeit: area www.riverlandweekly.com.au

Happy reading :ilikeit:

Lieze

I am also very interested in the rest of SA. I live ouside of the city in South Africa, and never venture there anyway, so this shouldn't be a big problem.

Mybe also looking at the towns on the coast in the South? Where do we find out about jobs there though?

Edited by Maloui

Anyone ever been to one of these places if no-one lives there?

The smaller "country" towns as they are called are rather nice and quite with country folk, community spirit, hospitality and atmosphere, yet still within easy drive of Adelaide. The towns in the Adelaide hills are very nice and scienic but colder in the winter but then again also cooler in the summmer due to their elevation ( thats help, it gets to 45 deg C in summer in Adealide ! ). Generally speaking the public service and transport services etc are not as good in the rural areas as it is in the city ( Adelaide metropolitan area ), not bad, just perhaps fewer and less vailable, yet still good. Then and of course the oppertunities for employement proportionally less due to smaller popolation and industry in such areas, depending of you work of choice of course. Medical people are in high demand everywhere for instance.Then there is the obvious communte if you need to work in Adelaide and live in the hills or country. All relative to a persons needs and preference I suppose. But in general, the hills or country areas offer a very good quality of life, yet slower and that is what alot of people are after.

Adelaide is not a large city, about 1,2 million people spead over a vast area. More like large country town as locals like to joke :) . It does not have the major traffic etc issues other major cities here like Melbourne and Syndey etc have. It is seen as a quiter state and it is, we prefer that. But, due to that there are less industry here and in turn proportionally less work opperunities, alhough still plenty to go around, from technical to medical. South Australia consistantly show lower of the lowest unemployment figures in Australia compared to other states.

Also, if you prefer not to live in a couttry town somewhere in rural South Australia, you can very well live in Adelaide metropolitan area yet in a very quite area or suburb on the outer rings ( try outer East, West ans South, some North, but not all ) that offer a quiter existance yet close-ish proximity ot the city. I would say roughly within 30-50 km ring you can find such places where it is quite, well develop0ed community spirit and structure, parks, lakes etc yet not in the city itself. Also, in general, property etc are more expensive in the Adelaide hills area due to higher demand for obvious reasons. The same goes for some suburbs close to or on the beach, such as Glenelg, Brighton etc.

Well, there is my 5 cents worth based oin my 4 years here. Dont forget, people have different perspective, expectations and preferences, so others might view the above different.

Thanks Marius,

getting a place to stay cloe to the job is number one issue, of course. I have spend hours on Google earth, so I have a feeling for the layout.

Was thinking about the costal towns of Goolwa, Port Elliot, Victor Harbour?

Thanks for your informative post! I can't wait...