New legislation for SA SIM cards from 1 July

Almost Aussie

http://www.fin24.com/articles/default/disp...86-2432_2534650

All cell phone SIM cards will have to be registered in terms of legislation coming into effect on 1 July. Both prepaid and contract, would be required to show proof of identity as well as present a utility bill to show proof of residence to be registered.

The easiest way to stay in contact with family and friends while visiting was to get a pre-paid SIM for R5 and there you go. Now, how the heck will I be able to show proof of residence in SA if I no longer live there?

Guess my family/friends will have to get me one on their address. Just be aware of this as you won’t be able to pick one up from the airport…

http://www.fin24.com/articles/default/disp...86-2432_2534650

All cell phone SIM cards will have to be registered in terms of legislation coming into effect on 1 July. Both prepaid and contract, would be required to show proof of identity as well as present a utility bill to show proof of residence to be registered.

The easiest way to stay in contact with family and friends while visiting was to get a pre-paid SIM for R5 and there you go. Now, how the heck will I be able to show proof of residence in SA if I no longer live there?

Guess my family/friends will have to get me one on their address. Just be aware of this as you won’t be able to pick one up from the airport…

Hi AA,

In Australia, you also need to show proof of identity to get a prepaid sim card, but not proof of residence as far as I am aware... Makes me wonder why you require proof of residential address...

Anyway... Many thanks for letting us all know!

Pippa! X

Most international countries I've been too required your passport as proof for buying a prepaid sim card.

Can't see that SA would be any different.

It's about time that SA re-introduced it.. They tried it a few years ago and for some strange reason SA could not implement it. Australia also had no issues with sim cards... a few years ago, you could buy an Aus sim card with a number in the pack... Today you have to phone the service provider to get a number....

All I can say is that it's long overdue... the new regulations are for security reasons... hope they manage it well, it is also security prep for 2010 FIFA Soccer World cup.

Hi AA,

In Australia, you also need to show proof of identity to get a prepaid sim card, but not proof of residence as far as I am aware... Makes me wonder why you require proof of residential address...

Anyway... Many thanks for letting us all know!

Pippa! X

Hi Pippa,

Not so sure about that. I've bought 3 pre-paid cards when we've arrived in Aus and nobody requested any ID. It was like buying sweets. They did however when my wife changed her SIM...

The Soccer spectators will be up in arms.

I think it's failing already as people living in shacks will have to give the address of their closest school or church...

Most international countries I've been too required your passport as proof for buying a prepaid sim card.

Can't see that SA would be any different.

This it not about proof of ID but proof of permanent residential address in SA for foreign visitors.

FYI - An email I got from Vodacom. This relates to my question what I'll have to do to get a temporary SIM while visiting SA.

Their reply,

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your e-mail communication to Vodacom.

RICA is the Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication – Related information Act.

It is a new law from the South African government that requires all cell phone users to register with their cellular network, before a new SIM or Cellphone number can be activated. Visit your nearest Vodashop, 4U store or any other approved RICA Registration outlet where an RICA agent will assist with the registration. Registration is free of charge.

RICA was launched on the 1st July 2009, however for the first few months from launch date, Vodacom will be focusing on the RICA registration of new SIM activations only. Existing customers can however register as well. Existing or historical Prepaid and Contract Customers will have 18 months to register from the 1st July 2009 in terms of the RICA legislation.

To register, you will need to provide your new starter pack’s information together with your name, surname, ID number and your residential address. You will have to show proof of identity by means of a South African issued green bar-coded identity document, temporary ID certificate, ID card or valid passport. Drivers license is not accepted.

You will also need to provide proof of physical address – this can be any document which has your name and surname on together with your address such as a bank statement, municipal rates, cellular or retail account, an existing lease, rental or credit agreement, insurance policy, current television or motor vehicle license that is not older than three months.

Foreigners do not need to verify their address, but will be required to provide either your foreign address or the address at which they are residing at in South Africa.

For more information please call 082111 and listen to the RICA information – the call is free from any Vodacom Cellphone.

Should you have any further queries, please contact us via e-mail at customercare@vodacom.co.za

Warm Regards

Gwynneth Titus

Foreigners do not need to verify their address, but will be required to provide either your foreign address or the address at which they are residing at in South Africa.

I understand that we will then be able to buy a prepay SIM card by simply showing proof of our residential address in Aus (i.e. Drivers Licence)?

Yeah, but will they see you as a foreigner when you produce a SA ID/passport?

Just show them your visa in your passport. I am sure this will be sufficient