Canberra Crime

IamInACT

What's with the murders in Canberra this is the second shooting and 3rd person killed .... 07/08 it was only 1!!!! What gives?

How about a link for this. I haven't heard about this and we r headed for Canberra!!!

Hi,

Most of the murders etc, are domestic violence. Not like SA, when a stranger kills you out of the blue.

We had a person stabbed down the road in a very good area. Alcohol related.

We are all still very safe in OZ :-)

Cheerio

Sean

The Moran murder wasn't in Canberra but in Melbourne. And they are a gang related murder. The Moran's are an infamous gang family, on which a successful TV series called Underbelly was based. It appears that the man was murdered by his SIL. I am not sure of the ins and outs but its not an everyday, we want your wallet murder.

The May story involves the bikie gangs. Also complicated history, and I am not up to date with who did what to who, but again not your run of the mill crime, where you are afraid that you are next (unless I suppose you are a bikie or a Moran).

Like Sean said most murder/violent crime, is perpetrated by someone known to the victim, very seldom is there a random killing.

Don't worry, we are very safe in Oz especially Canberra.

Candice

When I saw the topic my first reaction was "what did I miss ??"

Dont stress - if memory serves me right the last murder was the bikie guy. And I agree with the above comments, seems all related to drugs, the underworld, bikies, and family violence.

There has been a bit of "armed robbery" lately. Seems drug related and they use knives etc.

The only thing that I can say really scares me is the bullying taking place in schools - especially amongst the girls. This definately is a problem and for me ranks higher than crime in Canberra.

And this Extra CCTV coverage aims to combat rising violence.....http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/extra-cctv-coverage-aims-to-combat-rising-violence/1546386.aspx