How COLD is Canberra?!!

CandiceM

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask how many other Canberrans out there, were as unprepared for the cold as I was? Its been 'cold' these last couple of weeks, but Wednesday was a new one...MINUS 6 DEGREES. And Thursday and today not much better. There was snow on the mountain tops around Canberra, that I could see from the road that runs by our farm, and on Thurs morning frost on everything, including the car, which only added to my time issues as we were already running late.

Of course, it was timely that CROSSROADS (a local clothing chain) is having a 50% sale (lasts until next week, girls :grads: ) So off I rushed and stocked up on some more long sleeve shirts and also bought wool from BigW to knit myself a scarf (although given my track record with knitting will probally be ready in time for my grandkids to wear (my son is 5) )

And we are off to the snowfields in Perisher in a couple of weeks, so I suppose its forewarning of things to come.

I have some pics of some of the frost on my blog, and will be adding more pics of canberra soon. http://candicemyersdesigns.typepad.com/shapedbygrace/

Candice

Thanks Candice!!! What area do you live in (on a farm?)......

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Gosh it looks cold! Myself is use to warmer weather than that. Well, I lived in UK for couple of years so I still have some warm jackets. Guess I'll have to pack them in!

Lovely pics!!!

candice thats a lovely idea, and a great blog...i love the sunset one as well

Thanks for the comment on the pics and blog :ilikeit: I am a wannabee photographer hehe.

Candice

Edited by CandiceM

I added some more photo's of Canberra CDB and the rural areas on my blog for those interested.

xx Candice

Do you live in the 'burbs or on a farm? I am asking because we have a small farm near Bungendore (outside Canberra) - but we live in Sydney (- plus I do photography). Having just moved back to Australia after 5 years in Canada, I miss the cold and the snow, believe it or not. As I said to someone recently who complained about the cold weather in Ermelo (one of the colder places in South Africa) - I am a little jealous. If I could convince my wife, I'd move to Canberra in a jiffy :lol: ...

We live on a farm, just outside Canberra about 5 km from the ACT border. Its off the Barton highway. I would LOVE to own a farm. Just have to dream about it now but one day...

ja its not so much the cold and the snow, it's more that our house is just not designed well enough for the cold. It's so cold and we only have heating in the one end, so that's where we live, such a waste.

Candice

Great blog and wonderful pics. Keep up the passion - you seem to have a knack for photography.

Have to agree - its darn cold !!! Our unit is also not equipped for this weather or summer for that matter - from boiling to freezing.

Glad to hear (read) that you are settling into life in Canberra just great.

Take care,

We live on a farm, just outside Canberra about 5 km from the ACT border. Its off the Barton highway. I would LOVE to own a farm. Just have to dream about it now but one day...

ja its not so much the cold and the snow, it's more that our house is just not designed well enough for the cold. It's so cold and we only have heating in the one end, so that's where we live, such a waste.

Candice

You are right about house designs (or lack of it) in Australia. It least in the ACT they have a star system. In Canada, double and even triple glazing is standard, plus many homes have basements, so home designers are smarter about keeping the elements out. So one ends up feeling colder in Canberra at +10C than in say Ottawa, where it dips to -50C on a bad day. But of course they have central heating as standard there. Anyway, good luck with keeping those Snowy Mountain drafts out.

You are so humble saying you a 'wannabe' photographer, your pictures are gorgeous!!

Lovely blog too - will defnitely be popping in often to see more :ilikeit: