Home Coming Revolution says 72% likely to return to RSA

Jordy

Question

According to this news report

Johannesburg - South African emigrants who return to the country do so mainly for emotional and lifestyle reasons, Homecoming Revolution research has found.

"The research, combined with our experience, has shown that it is often a heart over head decision," Homecoming Revolution managing director Martine Schaffer said in a statement on Wednesday.

The study found that, because of the economic downturn, 39% of respondents were likely to stay in their countries of residence, 11% move to another country and 50% return to South Africa.

The online survey involved respondents in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Dubai and Australia.

Schaffer said 72% of respondents indicated they were likely or highly likely to return to South Africa.

Most likely to return were those living in the United Kingdom and Canada.

In all, 58% of respondents had visited the country in the last year, mainly from the United Kingdom and Dubai, with those in Australia last having visited three to four years ago.

- SAPA

See the link for full story.

I wish the The HCR would differentiate between the countries when making statements. They like to make these statements that 72% of South Africans are highly likely to return home, when in reality that figure refers to expats living in the UK. The actual returning figure for expats living in Aus is something like 1.5% according to DIAC stats.

21 answers to this question

72% of South Africans are highly likely to return home

Here's my take on it - Another statistic blown out of proportion by HCR.

They said 72% of respondents, not 72% of South Africans.

Most people who respond to a HomeComingRevolution survey would probably be thinking of going home anyway, because, that’s probably why they’re looking at website in the first place...

They’re not lying, they’re just playing on the fact that people make assumptions.

Also...they dont mention whether these respondents have PR..are on study visas etc?

I get the feeling alot of those that return do so because they HAVE to..and then the others are homesick....

Also..oz has a low comeback rate because weather, culture and so on are similar to ours...we adapt their easier than say a "cold" place like canada..

This is of course what ive observed..not necesarrily fact..

Edited by elleneo

Reporting the results of such a survey as if they are reflective of the general population is disingenuous of HCR. Why don't we run an online survey on SAAus asking the question "are you thinking of moving to Australia" and then we could publish an article in News24 headlined "Majority want to move to Australia" because our survey results showed that "90% of respondents are thinking of moving to Australia" ?

I don't usually get involved in these sorts of discussions for two reasons, firstly because these articles usually throw ridiculous unsubstantiated "facts and figures" around, the secondly they attempt to appeal to a "herd mentality" just because everyone else wants it doesn't make it any more attractive to me.

Statistics are like a drunk with a lampost: used more for support than illumination.

Sir Winston Churchill

British politician (1874 - 1965)

I may be wrong here so if I am pls correct me, but I recall hearing that the guy that runs this Home Coming Revolution is based in the UK?

If this statement is true, I find that very interesting.....

TO be honest, I think their statistics are totally unscientific and biased.

Yeah, I think they're wishful thinkers.

Regards,

Scott

Statistics are like a drunk with a lampost: used more for support than illumination.

Sir Winston Churchill

BRILLIANT!!

The old chestnut springs no leaps to mind..."There are lies, darn lies and....." do I have to say it "Statistics"

:-)

Seeing that this comes from the UK, I heard that all " happy campers on a working holiday visa" are also now denied jobs like waiters/barmen/doorman/temp accountants etc. to make way for the higher local unemployment situation

This leads me to believe they were probably included in these 'results'.

But this is good news irrespective. It means there is more space for my container to go over and probably jobs too? Oops, forgot they not returning in their 72%'s from OZ.

Sir Winston Churchill

Good One - Patrice

If you havent worked it out already - surveys and statistics can be used to prove anything - all depends on what you want to prove.

It is impossible to truely have an unbiased survey. By the mere nature that a human has put the survey together implies that it is flawed.

Why? Regardless of whether we agree or disagree, by nature humans are biased whether it be at a conscious or sub-conscious level - therefore a survey will always be flawed - some more than others - depends how badly you want the results to be in your favour.

Rgds

Matman

I have received the following as second hand but:

“Afrikaans schools are running low on Afrikaans kids and then must take other kids to stay open†– not there to see it or read the article my self.

Then: the above statement and the amount of people on this site AND the amount of people arriving at the church I attend in Adelaide (“Small place and small churchâ€) there is a lot of people leaving –

SO – this make me think that the amount of people leaving far outnumber the people returning – even more so than the “statistics†suggests. (As said you can prove what you want with it).

BUT

It has nothing to do with “numbers†but with the skills and dedication of the people leaving. These are the people that is law abiding and tax paying – those that a country need & use to grow.

AND

Even if a percentage returns, are they placed in a position where they are needed and used to their full potential or are they in a dead end BEE caped job? It does not help you gain those skills and they are not use to their full potential.

I will not return even though I am not fully use at this time – here I have the potential to grow.

Jaco

HCR se stats is poefie en moet soos 1 ply toiletpapier gebruik word :) . The so called "revolution" is more like a ant breaking wind in the forest, no one really take note of it. I AM bloody home mate, here in Australia, THIS is my home.

Soos poep teen donderweer.

Doesn't matter, I'm still leaving. And if I were to be irritated enough I'll concoct some statistics to prove that there are still more people leaving than returning. And if I really get my teeth into it, I would also start to bring 'quality of economic contribution' into the equation. Then we'll see that more qualified people leave than returning.

Age old saying goes: You get lies, damn lies and then you get statistics!

"The study found that, because of the economic downturn, 39% of respondents were likely to stay in their countries of residence, 11% move to another country and 50% return to South Africa."

The question is, where did they find these respondents?Let's say they posted a poll on their website: Are you consdering returning to South Africa? Vote yes or no.

As someone else already pointed out, if you are looking at their website you are probably already thinking about going back, so if a 100 people voted in their poll, and 72 of those voted yes, it's still a 72% vote, but it's only 72 people out of all the 1000's that have already left. Not exactly indicative if you ask me.

And as they mention the majority are returning from the UK,m let's not forget those in the UK returning from a working holiday visa.

I agree with Eugene!!! What a good Laugh!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I never hear friends or friends of friends saying OOH Yes lets go back to sunny SA where things are just Hunky Dory!!!!! <_<

(Sorry guy's in a bit of a mood today!) :lol:

Say it was only 25 people voted and only 18 returned? Also 72% - hehehe.

Funnies here it comes!

You guys are really funny.

Always be weary of what you read in the media...especially stats like this, I don't believe it for one second except maybe Saffers returning from the UK.