LSD trip to Canberra end of June

The Vans

Hi there Canberrians,

My family and I will be doing an LSD to Canberra end of June, and would like to meet with with some Saffers who recently did the move themselves.

It will be myself, my wife, and 2 children (ages 5 and 2), so we would prefer to meet up with people who have children roughly the same age, to get an idea of the challenges we would face.

The idea would be to meet up for coffee somewhere, and have a chat (as you don't know us from bars of soap).

If you are willing and able to meet up, please PM me with some contact details, so that I can get in touch and make arrangements.

Thanks,

The Vans !

Hey Vans...we are moving to Canberra sometime before the end of the year. My children are the same ages as yours! Well, will be by the end of the year. I would really like to know how your LSD went and what you thought......!

Hi Billabong,

I've been to Canberra before (alone) and we're going through to activate our 175 visa's, and thought we'd make a trip of it. We're looing at Canberra, Melbourne and Perth, but we're 90% set on Canberra. The only thing that could change our plans is if I get a really GREAT job offer in one of the other two.

When I was there previously, I wasn't focusing on things such as schooling etc. This time its a little more planned: I've got 4 appointments setup with recruiters, and 3 appointments with schools for the 5 days we'll be there. The Live in Canberra team is also taking us out on a 'tour' of sorts, and we've put aside a day for leasure (we're driving down to the beach, just to get an idea of what our potential holidays will be like. We know its winter, but its just to look around).

We have some friends in Canberra already, but they're all Australian. We'd like to hear first hand from South Africans who have just recently gone through the experience, and hopefully we can learn from them and make the trip and settling in as painless as possible for our children and ourselves.

Once we're back from our LSD, I will definintely post an update on how it went.

Do you have work, housing, schooling etc. all organised already ?

Regards,

The Vans

PM Pine and Riana....they arrived end April. They are doing very well and love it!! They are not very active on the forum anymore, but I'm sure they will go in and have a look before end June. If you want, I can e-mail them to log in and read your PM. I'm sure they won't mind to meet with you. Lucky you to have friends there already!! We only have friends in Toowoomba and Perth..but thats ok. We'll make lots of new ones I'm sure.

It's a bit difficult at the moment to look for employment as we don't have our visa yet. They are not very interested until you have it....so will hopefully be more successful once we have it. We have a CO and all documents supplied that they requested, so now it's just a wait....We wanted to go mid August, but it seems like it will only be mid September. What line of work are you in?....

We have narrowed it down to the Belconnen region to live....Looks like an affordable area (for us) to rent and buy and good schools....

Please keep me up to date and good luck! I am very jealous!! Lots of photies ne!! <_<

Hi Vans! Please please a lot of photos OK! We are also potential Canberrians, but also still waiting for the visa <_< It is always nice to hear news from Canberra. Just have a look on the forum, Rene recently post a thread re SAffers in and on their way to Canberra. Maybe you should add your name!

Have yourself an awesome trip OK!

hi Vans

we are also heading to Canberra. Im doing LSD end of July, Ill definitely want tips as to where to go and what to see, I only have a few days in Canberra! :unsure:

My kids are also same age as yours and Billabong's - 3 and 5, it seems that all of us are already building on our friendships over there, cant wait to meet everyone!

Hi Vans

We r also off to Canberra (hopefully) waiting for sponsor for 457 visa to do nomination. Our kids r a bit older than yours though 8 and 10.

Hi The Vans,

Just thought I'd remind you (just in case !!!) that as you're coming end of June its going to be freezing and will be perfect for you to take the littlies and yourselves up to Thredbo / Perisher - its lovely up there at the mo.

As for the beach hols - Batemans area is gorgeous. Breathtakingly beautiful.

We drove up to Sydney on Saturday morning - right up into the Blue Mountains and back home yesterday - all my weekends away have been AWESOME !!!

So dont worry too much about the holidays - there is so much to do withing a 2 - 3 hour radius of the ACT.

Sorry cant help with the kids tho, mine are 14 and 15. But anything else - just ask.

L

Edited by Lyn

Vans

Enjoy the trip, sound like we are going to be one happy family in Canberra soon. Just the waiting....

Cheers

Hugo

Thanks for the responses people, it is appreciated. Keep the advice and comments coming.

If there is anything else you'd like to know, just ask and I'll see what I can (in terms of replying now, or giving feedback when we return).

Adding my name to the C wannabees. Lynn my daughter is 13 - what is your opinion about schools and is the final two years (grade 11 and 12) at college or still in school

Hello everyone

Brat -

my kids are both in state schools - Year 8 and 9 (grade 8 and 9)

Their school goes to Year 10 and after that the kids can study further at college / apprenticeships etc - or simply become layabouts !!! I have heard that the government is trying to up school leaving age from 15 to 17.

I have absolutely no issue with state schools - yes the kids here all seem a little "wilder" then SA kids, but I can only hope and pray that mine keep on the right path - I dont believe a private school alone can teach a child morals and right from wrong - that comes from us parents.

Lyn thank you - my girl is currently in public school so public school it will be. I suspect we'll arrive just in time for her 11 and 12 year which would mean college not high school. I'm going on a PR but not sure if college is considered school when referring to fees. ANY input help so please talk to me.

Where do you live, where are the colleges or are they all over? Does kids take the bus to school?

Thank you again