Adelaide and going back to SA

Poeksie

Question

Please don’t fight with me or throw me with stones or hate me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flights are being planned (not paid yet), house is sold (that’s fine, we can still buy something new, or rent), I’m working my notice month and hubby will start his notice month in July (so he still have a Job).

We are very easy going people and I know that we will be able to adapt quick, so that’s not bothering me so much. But YES IT’S TRUE . . . . . . . . I’m worried sick that we are making the mistake of our lives. I’m scared and afraid that everything is not what we are expecting it to be, specifically in Adelaide. I don’t exactly know what I want you guys to reply, but I sure want to have this one and only and last change to get my head clear and go into the moving thing with an open mind. Allot of people at work as well as customers are targeting me!!!! All telling me about how many South Africans are over there that wants to come back but don’t have any money to come back, or how many South-Africans are sitting around waiting for months now but can’t find a Job. They are telling me how bad the schools are that side and children are growing up with no discipline at all, or they turn out to be junkies etc....... They also tell me about the heat, they say it get so hot that you cannot take a change to go outside, they also tell me that the flies (not sure what flies) are packing you if you put your foot outside . . . . . . . They also say that food is so expensive that one cannot afford to eat properly every day. And then they also warn me about the crime, apparently there is allot of crime and the break in to houses quite allot.

Now like I asked in the beginning, please don’t fight with me or throw me with stones. It’s the last thing I need right now. Please rather give me the truth. I’m sure all the people in Adelaide that’s there already can give me clarity. And if you don’t want to post in the open forum please pm me.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Poeksie

No matter what kind of people we are, all of us find it difficult in a foreign land, specially as everything is different and we have do deal with lots of different challenges. It's often our attitude towards change that makes the difference. Yes I have to admit that the kids are so different here and I've personaly had a bad experience with a High School on the Gold Coast, but we have to realise that things are going to be different. You can change schools if you're not happy with your school, we have and its worked out great. We teach our kids morals and manners and they know that we expect them to treat others with respect and dignity, hence our kids are very very much liked by the teachers and people here, because of that. The moral of the story is if you teach your kids, and if you're a good example they will follow you. My daughter said she never wants to be like some of the kids here (she's 15). There are some really really weird people here, prepare yourself, but on the other hand there are some really wonderful people too.

We love it here and we've had such a good experience. Keep in mind that you will have to be open minded and you will have to be positive and keep in mind why you've made the decision to move here! You'll see once you've moved that if you're looking for fault there will always be something to complain about, but compared to S.A at this present time, Oz is still a better place to be. Believe me I love S.A but we have to be realistic!

All the best with the move!

Zaffergirl

Edited by Zaffergirl

Het jou 'n PM gestuur.

Almal hier het klaar sulke wonderlike advies gegee.

Ek stuur net 'n groot druk want ek weet hoe moeilik dinge kan wees met mense wat die heeltyd negatief praat oor Aus.

:D

Luister na jou hart en nie na ander mense nie, doen wat is reg vir julle.

Firstly I want to thank each and everyone for all the replies and the inspirational thoughts and replies.

Seeing that this is a forum where I can speak my mind (or ask questions) without being afraid or ashamed there is something that I want to ask especially to those that are there already and to those that had to start from scratch. You don’t need to go into it, all you have to answer is yes or no. If you want to say more than that you are more than welcome. I don’t expect of anyone to post their personal stuff or to tell me what your personal finance is like. A simple yes or no will do.

Will a family of four the children aged 11 and 9 be able to go to Adelaide (without a Job and only with suitcases) with only R130 000.

Please be honest and if you want to please PM me.

I will appreciate everyone’s input.

Will a family of four the children aged 11 and 9 be able to go to Adelaide (without a Job and only with suitcases) with only R130 000.

Hey Poeksie,

It all depends on how you want to live...

We came over with about that, we're a family of three living in Adelaide.

We bought a $1000 car to start us off... and managed to live VERY comfortably for 2 months before hubby started earning his salary.

We bought all our 'white goods' (fridge, dishwasher etc)... and some odd pieces of furniture... We actually had no concept of dollars when we landed, and spent a ridiculous amount of money on some things. We managed to set up our house with crockery, cutlery, food, cleaning stuff etc.

We also spent money exploring Adelaide and doing trips here there and everywhere.... oh, and our biggest expense where our beloved mountain bikes (don't ask their price :D

The money that we brought over also allowed for us to pay our bond for the rental, and set up all our internet, electricity, mobiles etc.

I am of the opinion that if you want to make it work you will... It might be harder for some than others, but enough positivity and determination will get you there.

We started right from the bottom... and believe me we'll work our way right up to the top....

Remember, just secure that first job you get offered... don't pick and choose... First order of business will be to 'land' that job offer....

All the best,

red

Hi Poeksie

We are not there yet but like Red said, if you want to make it work you will.

It will be interesting to see what the people already there have to say.

Ja jong dit bly maar 'n baie moeilike besluit. Dis tog net normaal dat mens daaroor dink en wonder. Al twee van my vriende het ook onttrek nadat hulle aanvanklik besluit het om ook te gaan. Ek persoonlik dink dat dit bloot gaan oor waaraan mens gewoond is. 'n Mens hoor en/of sien al die negatiewe dinge in Australie en terselfdertyd vergeet mens van al die slegte dinge in SA - en dis verseker nie die regte manier om na die situasie te kyk nie. Ek sinspeel nie hier oor hoe ek dink jou spesifieke uitkyk is nie, maar bloot my eie ervaring oor die groot trek.

Ons was self daar, in Melbourne, Brisbane en Sydney. Ja dit was een of twee dae warm maar nie een keer het ek gevoel ek gaan van die hitte uitpaas nie. Daar was slegs op een plek vliee wat baie irriterend was, verder het ek nie van hulle geweet nie. Ek dink nie ek het een spinnekop gesien nie. Ja daar was een of twee vorms van misdaad op die nuus, maar ek het gevoel daar is orde en wette. Dit was baie droog in sekere dele, maar daar was baie mooi dele orals ten spyte van dit (en natuurlik groener gedeeltes ook). Die mense orals was egter uiters vriendelik en behulpsaam. Ons het die mooiste plekke gesien en die tyd terdee geniet. My skoonsuster se dogters is in 'n oulike skool so ek kon nie onthou dat sy oor iets gekla het nie. Ons het ook een of twee keer met SA mense te doen gekry of mense wat weet dat jy van daaraf kom, so het nie regtig verskriklik soos 'n uitlander gevoel nie. Om die waarheid te se^ het ons heel lekker ingeskakel. Ons was net 'n maand daar en dit was op vakansie so dit is anders, maar ek sal hard moet dink om iets slegs te kan se^ (behalwe vir die een of twee dinge op die nuus). Maar as dit nie vir die dinge was nie sou almal al lankal soontoe wou gaan of al reeds daar gewees het.

Ek het ongelukkig nie regtig met baie jong mens kontak gehad nie, maar hulle was maar vir my normaal. Ek het maar soms my bedenkinge oor ons 'voorbeeld' kindertjies hier in SA ook. Probleemkinders begin nog steeds met probleemouers.

Die realiteit is natuurlik dat daar dinge is waarvan mens nie gaan hou nie. Ek dink ook tog dat dit beter is dat mens voor die tyd bewus is van sekere dinge, maar terselfdertyd moet mens erens besef dat elke plekkie onder die son maar sy probleme het. Die punt is daar is dinge wat mens kan verander, die res wat nie verander kan word nie moet aanvaar word. So die vraag is eintlik: wat in SA kan nie aanvaar word deur jou nie en ook nie verander word nie? Ek kan aan baie dinge dink en dis juis hoekom ons gaan.

Ek is seker dat met tyd (ons is nog hier), nadat ons daar aangekom het dat ons sal leer om sekere dinge te aanvaar en tot 'n sekere mate sal weet dat die regering daar werk aan dinge wat verander kan word. Dis baie beslis nie maanskyn, rose en groen gras nie, maar ek wonder hoeveel van ons sou SA toe kom indien ons daar gebore was? Dit gaan absoluut oor die feit dat mens gewoond raak aan 'n mens se omstandighede en sonder dat mens dit besef aanvaar of vermy mens dinge wat eintlik baie slegter en negatief hier is as daar of selfs glad nie eers daardie kant is nie.

Mens kan seker lyste maak van sleg en goed tussen SA en Australie maar op die einde van die dag gaan dit oor 'n mens se aanpasbaarheid en bereidwilligheid om nuut te begin. As mens elke dingetjie ernstig moet opvat sal mens seker nerens heen ooit gaan nie. Wel as ek net dink aan alles in SA dan sal ek nie eers aan die slaap kan raak nie. Ek probeer maar my vertroue in Hom plaas.

It's the level of your attitude and not the level of your aptitude that ultimately determines your altitude.

Ek self gaan soveel moet prysgee hier: 'n wonderlike familie, fantastiese vriende, 'n goeie werk (met 'n gym en Spur 50m weg) en oor die algemeen 'n baie gemaklike leefstyl. Ons dogtertjie is in 'n goeie skooltjie en het nie regtig op die stadium iets om oor te kla nie. So mens wonder tog hoekom ek ons dogtertjie wegneem van haar oumas en oupas - hoe verduidelik ek dit ooit vir haar?

Soos baie al gese^ het, sien dit as 'n lang vakansie waarvan jy dalk nooit weer terugkom nie. Moenie net gaan omdat dit sleg gaan in SA nie, dit gaan sleg orals op verskillende maniere. Gaan ook vir die uitdaging, die avontuur, die groei en watookal 'n mens se redes mag wees.

So ja, ek sal verbaas wees aan die ander kant dat jy enigsins advies hier sou kry om nie te gaan nie. Aan die ander kant is die meeste wat in SA bly geneig om dit af te praat as 'n swak idee.

Baie sterkte met julle voorbereidings en watookal julle besluit. Of julle nou gaan of nie en of julle oor 'n jaar of wat terugkom - dit maak nie saak nie. Alles in die ou stukkende lewe is in elk geval net tydelik.

Edited by IslandStyle

Hi Poeksie

We are a family of four, boys aged 12 and 8. We brought over a container so its not the same as suitcases BUT

considering we have been living here for 12 weeks and only found work last week, this is my opinion.

I would say R130 000.00 is equivalent to $18500.00 .

We found a furnished rental for $400.00 Per week. Our food is around $350.00 per week.

Odds & Ends $100.00 per week. School fees $250.00 per annum Elec $100.00 per month

Total exp Approx $900.00 per week. your funds would last about 5 months.

Consider you still need to buy a car and use petrol. Anything from $1000.00 for a cheapie and petrol is similar price to SA.

As soon as you start earning $$$$$ you will look at the whole situation differently.

Dont let this scare you, just be motivated and be prepared to work in a different field if needed.

There are lots of jobs for different needs of people.

You must come over and make a go for it here,

Good luck

Des

Poeksie I also worry as I hear so many stories and most of them from my own family. Eventually the doubt becomes so strong it kind of consumes you. Luckily I have a husband who has been over twice and knows no matter how hard it is, its going to be better than living like caged animals. He keeps me grounded although I have many wobbly days and you are experiencing what most of us go thru. All I can say is be positive and make it work. From what I have heard its going to be a hard but how can "starting over" ever be easy.

All the best and keep us updated.

xxx

Hi Poeksie

We (my wife, 4 year old daughter and myself) are from Cape Town, and have been in Adelaide for 10 months. We are loving it here. Our decision to move here was made with our heads, not our hearts, and there certainly were times before we arrived when we wondered if we were doing the right thing. Now that we've been here for a little while we are convinced that we have done the right thing, not only for our young daughter but also for ourselves. I simply can't put a price on the feeling of freedom, of not feeling threatened, of not having to look over my shoulder all the time, of not continually worrying about the safety of my wife and daughter. Our house here has laughable security by South African standards - no fence, no burglar bars, no alarm. And yet we don't feel vulnerable - we feel free. There is some housebreaking in Adelaide, but *nothing* like in Cape Town.

The job market is a little tough right now, but you could say that about most first world economies, given the current economic crisis. And food is expensive - but that hasn't stopped me putting on 5kg since moving here though. We eat very well (although we don't eat out as much as we used to), and are living off one salary - my wife is a stay-at-home mom. We're seeing less flies here than we had in CT, and yes Adelaide does get pretty hot in summer - we had a record-breaking 45.6 degree day earlier this year. Most houses here have airconditioning, and the heat is very dry - low humidity - so I didn't find it that uncomfortable. And Adelaide has some beautiful beaches.

Leaving your family behind is tough - but you find ways of keeping in touch - email, skype, using calling cards to phone cheaply. My 81 year old mother visited us recently, and kept saying over and over again that we have done the right thing.

Approach it with a positive, open mindset.

All the best with your plans.

Regards,

Scott

I guess everyone has doubts about whether they're doing the right thing, or not . . . . . especially if you have kids that you are still responsible for.

So . . . . join the human race! You're not alone.

Adelaide is a good place to bring kids up in. I brought my 3 kids up in Adelaide (the Adelaide hills to be exact), after coming from 13 years in Tasmania, and they have survived and thrived to become members of the Australian community.

Emigrating isn't for "woosies". You leave all your family and mates behind, so all the safety network that you've had around you in the past suddenly disappears and you have to make your own falls in life and pick yourself up the best you can.

That being said, Australia is an easy place to "fall" . . . if you ever do fall . . . and there are loads of opportunities to go ahead in life, for those willing to "have a go".

Currently, we are living this calendar year (2009) in Cambridgeshire, England. With unemployment rising and over 2 million out of work here, we've both got jobs that suit us. . . . . me gardening in an English cathedral nearly 1 000 years old and my wife teaching country kids in primary school. We are both old farts, myself being 58 now.

I have always said that if you're not fussy about what sort of work you do, initially, there is always a job and a dollar out there for you. You can look out for the good jobs later on, once you've set yourself up and are keeping your heads above water financially.

We head back to Adelaide later in the year (November).

We are now talking about going to live in New Zealand for next year. . . . and we both expect to get jobs and "pay our way" around the country.

Migration is not for those unwilling to take the plunge . . . . . but the helter-skelter ride is well worth the ride for those taking the plunge. We are finding that out for ourselves.

Yeah, Bob always have some interesting posts! :ilikeit: Bob you are so fortunate to be able to travel with your wife and see the world! I think that is so cool! :lol:

Hi Poeksie,

We are also not from Adelaide but from Perth. They also said that the flies is so bad but our experience from Jan this year up to now was that there are more flies in SA. The stories about flies is overdriven and I thing where they pack you is in the outback where its 45degrees hot. Its because the Aussies has nothing else to complain about that the little bit of flies around. Well now in Winter there is no flies in anyway.

There is crime everywhere in the world, my wife got so used to aus livestyle in 6 months, that she forget lock the car out in the driveway often thesedays and last week a thief stole the GPS out of the car because it was open.

We have small kids that start school next year and yes the 'free' state scools are a bit rough but up to good standard, but my mother in law is a teacher in a state school in SA and she really complain that thing is going very bad there as well. There are many good private christian schools around if you are willing to pay about $1500-$3000 per year school fees. Dicipline for kids must come from the parents in the first place.

We find our food budget for the month almost the same as in SA. The only things that we find really expencive is property and labour. But 22mil people are surviving here and 95% of people here has a good lifestyle and everybody gets looked after at least.

I'd say pray and let then listen to the Lord for your desicion.

R

Please don’t fight with me or throw me with stones or hate me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flights are being planned (not paid yet), house is sold (that’s fine, we can still buy something new, or rent), I’m working my notice month and hubby will start his notice month in July (so he still have a Job).

We are very easy going people and I know that we will be able to adapt quick, so that’s not bothering me so much. But YES IT’S TRUE . . . . . . . . I’m worried sick that we are making the mistake of our lives. I’m scared and afraid that everything is not what we are expecting it to be, specifically in Adelaide. I don’t exactly know what I want you guys to reply, but I sure want to have this one and only and last change to get my head clear and go into the moving thing with an open mind. Allot of people at work as well as customers are targeting me!!!! All telling me about how many South Africans are over there that wants to come back but don’t have any money to come back, or how many South-Africans are sitting around waiting for months now but can’t find a Job. They are telling me how bad the schools are that side and children are growing up with no discipline at all, or they turn out to be junkies etc....... They also tell me about the heat, they say it get so hot that you cannot take a change to go outside, they also tell me that the flies (not sure what flies) are packing you if you put your foot outside . . . . . . . They also say that food is so expensive that one cannot afford to eat properly every day. And then they also warn me about the crime, apparently there is allot of crime and the break in to houses quite allot.

Now like I asked in the beginning, please don’t fight with me or throw me with stones. It’s the last thing I need right now. Please rather give me the truth. I’m sure all the people in Adelaide that’s there already can give me clarity. And if you don’t want to post in the open forum please pm me.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Durbanite
This is good advice, Maggel!

My brother-in-law was so negative about our move and had so MANY stories about someone who knew someone who knew someone who had a bad experience and was coming back. If you want to hear the TRUE stories, you only need to read the forum as there are people who have returned or are returning and can give you the specific reasons. Recently there was also an interesting post on how many people had migrated to Australia vs people returning to SA (and this I copied and sent to my brother-in-law who came back to me and said it was not as many people as he thought). So for the stats, read that post!

Now, for my experience of Australia....I really love it here but there are many things I don't like!!! In the bigger scheme of things, would these little irks make me return to SA? NEVER! My husband and I gave up great jobs, family support structures, friends and much more to be able to let our kids ride in the road. Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! Are we at the same level we were in SA? Definitely not - we are MUCH poorer monetary wise BUT richer in spirit and within our immediate relationships with each other and our children! Do we miss our family and friends? DESPERATELY!!! There are times that I "chunk" because I miss them so much BUT my children are safe!

:ilikeit:

As for the flies - yes, they are one of my pet hates! The sun - love it, love it, love it!!! Schools - our kids are in public schoold and we are really happy with the school - maybe we just got lucky! Yes, food is expensive but we seem to always be eating and we make it through the month - you can always make cheaper meals!

The bottom line is you need to experience it yourself and don't let people who haven't, influence you. It is a blessing in this day and age to have the opportunity so make the most of it.

xxxxxxxx

Liesl

You GO Girl!!! :unsure: Your message sounded just like what I would have said so<<< Absolutely on the spot!!

We are from Durbs and in Canberra, it's not our best but compare with all those other things you mentioned NO WAY>> There is no going back>> We just have to look for warmer land in the future (we are already) :huh:

Thank you and well said :whome:

D

Everbody has given you good info and advise. It is not the easiest thing to leave your family support structure behind, but do not underestimate the human nature of adapting.

If you put your mind to it, you will probably achive heaps more than you will think.

The first time we immigrated (to NZ in 2003), we did it totally blind. Only knew that NZ plays rugby, cricket and there is an Afrikaans church in Auckland. My husband had never been overseas. I had a job and the new employer was very supportive. My dearest husband was suppose to be a house-husband.... :) ...but on the 3rd day in AKL, my daughter was enrolled in childcare and he was looking for a job, which he got a week and a half later.

Second time around to AUS in 2007, we actually came to have a look around before we made the move. My husband had the job this time. Second time around is always easier.

Good luck!!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

hallo

Ek, my man en ons 9 maande oue dogtertjie is nou al vir net onder die 3 maande hier in SA en ek moet vir jou se dat dit beslis die beste ding is wat ons gedoen het om hierheen te trek.

My man slaap nie meer met 'n pistool onder sy kussing nie en elke middag gaan stap ek en my dogtertjie die hele wereld vol sonder om te voel dat iemand ons gaan leed aandoen.

Hier is "CRIME" maar in ons Suid Afrikaanse agtergrond regtig 'n druppel in die emmer as waaraan ons gewoond was. Ja hulle breek in jou huis en kar in as dit oop staan en dit is maar vir drugs geld... dink net hulle rand jou nie aan of skiet jou dood vir jou besittings nie.

Die kos pryse is maar baie soos by ons behalwe dat jy so bietjie moet gaan soek na die regte pryse. As een ding baie duur is hier is die ander nou weer goedkoper byvoorbeeld: vleis is nogal duur, maar skoonmaak middels is baie goedkoper.

Ons is nie mense wat baie uiteet nie en geniet take aways, so vir ons is dit nie regtig duur nie.

wel die overall gevoel wat ek het oor Suid Australia is beslis positief en julle kan maar met 'n geruste hart hierna toe kom.

Hallo julle, dis nou lank dat ek terug kom na die post toe. Ek is ook in Adelaide en so gelukkig soos 'n hond met 'n skaapboud been. Dit was nie altyd so nie, die begin was moeilik.......ag man moeilik is nie eers die woord nie.....dit was hartverskeurend swaar en die aanpassing was erg.

Drie jaar later en ek Lewe weer...met 'n hoofletter.....

Al wat oorbly is die woede in my oor die hel wat ons moes deur gaan om 'n holte vir die voet te vind. En sommige aande soos vanaand, dan kom daar 'n vlietende hartseer oor my....aande wat ek wragtig verlang na my kultuur en my mense. More is dit weer verby en ek huppel weer lekker hier tussen die Ozzies op en af. Maar net vir vanaand........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuayK5sAkc

Vir julle........

Lekker aand.

Ons is nou amper n jaar in Melbourne en die eerste 3 maande was die ergste. Dit was so erg dat my man al ander werk begin soek het terug in SA. Ons het toe besluit om dit tenminste die 2 jaar te gee wat ons aan die begin gese het. Wel intussen het ons getrek nader aan ons groep vriende, want vriende in Oz is soos familie in SA. Ons is nou 4 maande in die nuwe area en ons is so gelukkig. Ons wil nie meer terug SA toe nie en wat help is dat die ouers Okt tot Januarie kom kuier.

Moenie dink dis nou als maanskyn en rose nie. Daar is nog baie af dae. Vandag is weer een van daai afdae vir my. Als hoop op en dan een dag kan ek net nie meer die trane keer. Ek reken n goeie huil is die moeite werd en laat jou als weer in n positiewer lig sien. Op sulke dae kan enige iemand net goeie goed van Oz se, maar ek wil dit nie hoor. My hart verlang na my familie en my land. Wel soos hul se more is weer n nuwe dag en dan sien ek als weer anders.

....Cecile

Hi Antoinette,

Dankie virrie welkom, ek hang maar nog altyd hier in die cyber space rond.......ek wys hierdie gevreetjie vir almal vandag.............

2009_01_21_smile.jpg

:ilikeit: Blossomse groete!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hallo

Gaan lees my post oor Adelaide. Ek moet vir jou se dat Adelaide die plek is om jou kind groot te maak. Onthou opvoeding bly die ouers se verantwoordelikheid en wat ek tot dusver hier gesien het is net positief.

Hoop dit help so bietjie

Michelle

I haven't been to Adelaide yet, but my experience of Sydney is nothing but excellent.

Crime exists, but you wouldn't know it. I've had items I've dropped or forgotten returned to me.

Kids? Depends on the area. South Africans are generally confused by the fact that white people in Australia cover the entire class spectrum and so when they encounter their first Bogans (white trash), they think all Aussies are like that. Middle class Australians are just standard middle class people and the kids in my neighbourhood are well-raised and polite to a fault. The drug thing can be written off to class differences too. Stay away from bogans and you'll be fine.

Food is expensive, but having had a discussion with my mother about the skyrocketing prices of food in South Africa (and the non-skyrocketing salaries), I can't say it's not affordable. You do earn a lot more here. I earn a comparatively tiny salary and live on high-quality take-aways and basic groceries because I'm a pathetically slobby bachelor, and my food costs per week are generally quite a bit less than $100. Sometimes I'll splurge on a nice meal, but if I spend more than $10 a day it's unusual.

I am at about the same level I was in SA, professionally, but I feel room to move and financially I am much, much better off. The continual expense of replacing stolen things, massive insurance costs, expensive medical aid, tax that gets you nothing and that constant fear that things are about to go horribly wrong? All gone.

Homesickness, though. That will hurt.

Im not based in Adelaide, but I do travel there for work a lot.

What a beautiful city. If you are fortunate enough to find work there I think its a great place to live. Its not too expensive and its one of the cheaper housing markets.

That being said, all that bullshit about South Africans being miserable and being desperate to come back is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard. I am sure that there are many who are homesick and decide to return. There are many, MANY more who would have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of this country. I am client facing and the amount of customers and suppliers I have that are South African proved to me that there are indeed a lot of us out here. What is almost universal is that the majority would never leave.

I wish family would be more supportive. I had the same problem with family telling me the horror stories, calling me a traitor, telling me I would be back, telling me it was a mistake. I dont regret leaving South Africa. I regret not leaving it sooner