Adelaide and going back to SA

Poeksie

Question

Please don’t fight with me or throw me with stones or hate me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flights are being planned (not paid yet), house is sold (that’s fine, we can still buy something new, or rent), I’m working my notice month and hubby will start his notice month in July (so he still have a Job).

We are very easy going people and I know that we will be able to adapt quick, so that’s not bothering me so much. But YES IT’S TRUE . . . . . . . . I’m worried sick that we are making the mistake of our lives. I’m scared and afraid that everything is not what we are expecting it to be, specifically in Adelaide. I don’t exactly know what I want you guys to reply, but I sure want to have this one and only and last change to get my head clear and go into the moving thing with an open mind. Allot of people at work as well as customers are targeting me!!!! All telling me about how many South Africans are over there that wants to come back but don’t have any money to come back, or how many South-Africans are sitting around waiting for months now but can’t find a Job. They are telling me how bad the schools are that side and children are growing up with no discipline at all, or they turn out to be junkies etc....... They also tell me about the heat, they say it get so hot that you cannot take a change to go outside, they also tell me that the flies (not sure what flies) are packing you if you put your foot outside . . . . . . . They also say that food is so expensive that one cannot afford to eat properly every day. And then they also warn me about the crime, apparently there is allot of crime and the break in to houses quite allot.

Now like I asked in the beginning, please don’t fight with me or throw me with stones. It’s the last thing I need right now. Please rather give me the truth. I’m sure all the people in Adelaide that’s there already can give me clarity. And if you don’t want to post in the open forum please pm me.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Wees versigtig wat "they" vir jou vertel. Het hulle eersterangse kennis of is dit hoorsê of is hulle sommer net jaloers. Dalk moet jy so 'n bietjie tyd (ek bedoel heelwat ure) op hierdie forum spandeer en lees wat mense skryf. Die goed en die sleg is al baie hier bespreek. Welkom hier en ek is seker jy sal gou baie goeie raad kry om self te besluit wat die beste vir jou is.

Hi Poeksie

All the above mentioned things........heat, bad schools, no jobs, flies, etc,etc............Yeah, yeah, that is what we get in S.A more than here in OZ

I would rather drive into my driveway at 10pm and night here, walk to the deli at night here, let my 10 year old daughter walk to school by herself here, the list goes on and on and on......................and the house breakings here a nothing compared to the violent house break ins we have back home!!!!

Quiet happy here in the heat with the flies and all, thank you very much!

Wishing you well with your choice, at the end of the day, it is up to the individual.

Regards

EricaC :ilikeit:

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not from Adelaide, but in the end of the day, your experience may be different to everyone else.

I don't believe there are hundreds of South Africans desperate to return to South Africa and cannot afford it.

In my humble opinion, that is a load of cr@p!

Food is quite expensive, but we eat really well - every day, 3 times a day. In fact if we could only afford to eat less maybe I could shed some unwanted kilos! Total rubbish...

There are lots of flies in some places...

So what, I would rather have flies than murderers,rapists, hijackers.

Aussie kids are rather undisciplined. Not necessarily delinquents, just not brought up strictly like the kids in SA. I think that they are not as respectful of adults here as the SA kids. But they are not all junkies. And how you bring your kids up in your own home is a huge factor.

It is normal to have second thoughts, doubts and worries about what your future holds, but you can at least give it a try. Have a positive attitutude and do the best you can when you get here. And if things don't work out for you, at least you tried.

It is a bit like that saying "it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all'. At least you can say you tried and it didn't work out, if that is the way things happened, than that you gave up and didn't try at all.

It is not an easy road, don't kid yourself about that. But it can be the most exciting, wonderful adventure that you and your husband can share...

All the very best with your plans, hope you feel happier soon.

Here is a hug... :ilikeit::wub::cry:

Edit: spelling

Edited by Eva

I'm not from Adelaide, but in the end of the day, your experience may be different to everyone else.

I don't believe there are hundreds of South Africans desperate to return to South Africa and cannot afford it.

In my humble opinion, that is a load of cr@p!

Food is quite expensive, but we eat really well - every day, 3 times a day. In fact if we could only afford to eat less maybe I could shed some unwanted kilos! Total rubbish...

There are lots of flies in some places...

So what, I would rather have flies than murderers,rapists, hijackers.

Aussie kids are rather undisciplined. Not necessarily delinquents, just not brought up strictly like the kids in SA. I think that they are not as respectful of adults here as the SA kids. But they are not all junkies. And how you bring your kids up in your own home is a huge factor.

It is normal to have second thoughts, doubts and worries about what your future holds, but you can at least give it a try. Have a positive attitutude and do the best you can when you get here. And if things don't work out for you, at least you tried.

It is a bit like that saying "it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all'. At least you can say you tried and it didn't work out, if that is the way things happened, than that you gave up and didn't try at all.

It is not an easy road, don't kid yourself about that. But it can be the most exciting, wonderful adventure that you and your husband can share...

All the very best with your plans, hope you feel happier soon.

Here is a hug... :ilikeit::wub::cry:

Edit: spelling

Well said Eva, well said!!!!!EricaC

I love armchair advisers from South Africa who know everything about other countries, yet have never left their own. They really crack me up. Us South Africans are great exaggerators and great storytellers, I’ll tell you that much.

You will find all of the above in some manner or form in Australia. There are flies, living and food is expensive, there is crime, there are drugs, it is hot.

But then you earn 7 times more than in South Africa, crime does not even come close to that in South Africa, Australia also has winter, and in winter it gets cold. Australia has drugs, so does every single other country in the world. Flies? Spray yourself with a magical product called Aeroguard.

Australia is not called the lucky country for nothing – it has so much going for it.

Think of these “problems†that Australia has compared to the problems that South Africa has.

Good luck with your decision and your move, if you come with the right attitude, you will love it here. As U2 says – “don’t let the b###ds drag you down.â€

hi

let me give you an eg ,a while back there was a new movie going to be released.

i promissed my daughter we will buy tickets (which i did).

on the day of the movie screening i thought of not going because other people said it is a 'k@k' film

these were my reasons",i don't like the lead actor,much nicer to watch the dvd at home.the film is too long(indian movies are upto 3 hours)."

anyway,a few months later the video outlets were hiring the same movie and i promptly did so for my family.

it was a great film and sillently regretted not seeing on the big screen.as the movie was playing i sat and watched.the story was about a father who lied to his child!

can you imagine how i felt because that is exactly what i did to my daughter!

what i am trying to say,your experience is your experience.don't base it on other peoples reviews.do what you want to do but you will still have to live with yourself.

so whether you 'go' or 'stay' will you be happy with yourself?

god knows how many hours you spent on saaustralia,it was other peoples reviews.

i sure wished i did not break my promise.i sure wished we saw that movie on the big screen.

best of luck with wathever you decide.

Welcome to the forum Poeksie!

Myself had a few struggles re this whole immigration process. And as many said, every person experience it differently. You cannot base your journey on anybody else's. All I can say from personnel experience - please take note I am not there yet - research, research, read, read etc etc. Someone told me to read the Aussie news. Think that is sound advice!

Good luck!

Is it not the most amazing thing. We do not know anyone else personally that immigrate. I also do not know anyone personally that is either in Aus or leaving Aus for SA. But every other person that we speak to about our immigration, knows something bad that happened to someone that immigrated.

Are we deaf and dumb fools, or where are all this people with all this very bad experiences. If you really go into this with someone, they will usually say but it is so and so's niece's brother's friend's sister that had that bad experience.

When you talk to someone coming back from Aus with a bad experience, take them seriously, the rest, ignore them.

Is it not the most amazing thing. We do not know anyone else personally that immigrate. I also do not know anyone personally that is either in Aus or leaving Aus for SA. But every other person that we speak to about our immigration, knows something bad that happened to someone that immigrated.

Are we deaf and dumb fools, or where are all this people with all this very bad experiences. If you really go into this with someone, they will usually say but it is so and so's niece's brother's friend's sister that had that bad experience.

When you talk to someone coming back from Aus with a bad experience, take them seriously, the rest, ignore them.

This is good advice, Maggel!

My brother-in-law was so negative about our move and had so MANY stories about someone who knew someone who knew someone who had a bad experience and was coming back. If you want to hear the TRUE stories, you only need to read the forum as there are people who have returned or are returning and can give you the specific reasons. Recently there was also an interesting post on how many people had migrated to Australia vs people returning to SA (and this I copied and sent to my brother-in-law who came back to me and said it was not as many people as he thought). So for the stats, read that post!

Now, for my experience of Australia....I really love it here but there are many things I don't like!!! In the bigger scheme of things, would these little irks make me return to SA? NEVER! My husband and I gave up great jobs, family support structures, friends and much more to be able to let our kids ride in the road. Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! Are we at the same level we were in SA? Definitely not - we are MUCH poorer monetary wise BUT richer in spirit and within our immediate relationships with each other and our children! Do we miss our family and friends? DESPERATELY!!! There are times that I "chunk" because I miss them so much BUT my children are safe!

As for the flies - yes, they are one of my pet hates! The sun - love it, love it, love it!!! Schools - our kids are in public schoold and we are really happy with the school - maybe we just got lucky! Yes, food is expensive but we seem to always be eating and we make it through the month - you can always make cheaper meals!

The bottom line is you need to experience it yourself and don't let people who haven't, influence you. It is a blessing in this day and age to have the opportunity so make the most of it.

xxxxxxxx

Liesl

I grew up in Cape Town, never moved until I started studying. It was the shock of my life to move to Gauteng after my husband finished his studies, even though we had lots of family there. I had never been overseas, we didn't even consider leaving. Then, within six months, we had sold up everything and moved, to a country where we didn't know a soul, didn't know the culture and neither of us had ever been.

It has been the most amazing adventure. In July we will have been here a year. The people are tremendously friendly and helpful. In general, you will find the Aussies open-hearted and trusting, quite a difference to what we are used to. The outdoor lifestyle is huge. There are parks and walkways everywhere. We regularly take the kids to one of the parks (we walk most places, it is awesome :ilikeit:) to ride their bikes, swing, slide and just run around. We are hoping to fix the kite soon so we can fly it too. We still have to make use of the free BBQ facilities.

Most of the houses (especially the new ones) have really cool heating and cooling systems, so when it is hot or cold, the house tends to be comfortable. We haven't had any more flies than we experienced in SA. The mosquitoes are less :ilikeit:

Public transport is great!

Before we left, if people gave me grief, I told them I would be getting my little house by the sea, before I retire! Let them beat that ;) Tell people it is a career move, international experience and a paid vacation for you. None of their business what you will be doing here. You deserve to enjoy this experience.

If I can make a success of this move, I am sure you can too. I must be one of the most 'untraveled' people in the world :D

Hi Poeksie

Ek het eers jou post verkeerd verstaan gedink julle is in Adelaide en wil terug kom RSA toe. Ek moet se ek dink baie mense voel soos jy dis groot skuif en mens is bang. Ek moet se ek is ook bang maar ons het geleentheid om te gaan en ek dink ons moet dit aangryp ek wil nie oor 10 jaar terug kyk en dink ek moes gegaan het nie. Julle moet besluit wat vir julle die beste gaan wees mense is geneig om "horror" stories te he oor Aus die moment wat jy se jy wil gaan maar jy gaan nie weet todat jy nie daar was nie.

En die mense op die forum wat reeds daar is het geen rede om te jok nie... Die groot ding is en ek dink dis wat jy soek is iemand om te se dit gaan ok wees dit gaan fine wees dinge gaan uitwerk - maar niemand kan dit se nie almal se situasie is anders. Ek het aanvaar dat ons sal dit self moet gaan ervaar of veraltyd wonder.

Sterkte ek glo julle sal gelukkig wees in Aus.

Sien julle doer onder :ilikeit:

Hi Poeksie

Welcome! No one will throw stones!! Most of us have been through what you are experiencing at some point in our journey across here. I think living in any of the states is all fairly similar- in WA we just have more flies!

Every thing you mentioned that concerned you is here in Australia- but not to that highly exagerated degree. Its easy to find fault with any country and some folk seem to love doing that. When we left over 9 yrs ago , everyone tried to stop us too. When after 5 yrs we decided to go back to SA , everyone here tried to stop us - the SA's being the worst offenders telling us horrific stories - some even getting so angry they refused to talk to us! So, in the end you do what you think is best for your whole family.

You just have to rent in a nice area, choose your schools carefully, you will not starve -promise - and you can tell your kids to come home when it gets dark ( my fav thing to say!)Bring up your kids exactly as you would in SA and they will turn out fine.

There are huge positives when initially moving over- you are forced to rely on your partner a lot more, you do things as a family all the time- and that makes your family unit so much stronger. And that strength stays with you thru the yrs.

Good luck with your choice -we are right behind you either way.

Lindy xx

Poeksie,

Wat kan ek sê, ou kind? Wat die ander nie alreeds gesê het nie? Ek is in Adelaide, al vir amper 3 jaar. Net vanaand sit my man en ek buite en gesels, die deure staan wawyd oop en die kar is nie gesluit nie. Ons sit en praat so en hy sê toe vir my dat hy nooit ooit weer wil teruggaan na 'n plek toe waar hy 2 ure 'n aand moet spandeer om alles gesluit te kry nie.

Maar afgesien van die feit dat ons rustig en veilig is, is daar soveel ander voordele ook. Ek loop nie met skille voor my oe nie....dit was hard en moeilik om te kom tot waar ons vandag kan sê ons is gelukkig....maar so die moeite werd.

Natuurlik het elke plek sy probleme ook. Hier is vliee en spinnekoppe en jong laaities wat karre doughnut en wheelie, hier is dwelms en drankwinkels bly langer oop as apteke. Selde ou goed wat jy daar is SA ook kry.

Die ding lê in jou kop.....jy moet die kopskuif eers maak voor jy oorkom. Jy hart en kop moet eers reg wees. Dis amper soos uit met die oue en in met die nuwe. Bang gaan jy wees, ons was, ek is seker almal was....maar dis niks nie......dit waai oor en eendag staan jy op en besef watse moerse ding is julle as gesin nou deur en dis oor en verby en die lewe is weer mooi.

Adelaide. Gaan lees bietjie daar by communities...ons het geskryf van mooi Adelaide, Bob vertel jou alles van die plek, mense het foto's opgesit.....gaan lees bietjie, my diertjie en dan kom gesels jy weer met ons. Moenie bang wees nie, daar is mos Iemand wat jou hand styf vashou........

Ek is moeg, ek gaan nou in die bed klim en slaap soos 'n babatjie, gaan nie worry oor inbrekers en diewe en verkragters en sulke goed nie......

Mooi loop, hoor....

Blossom.

Hi Poeksie....

Ek het laasweek vir die eerste keer "JOURNALS" op die forum begin lees en die heel eerste ou wie se journal ek begin lees het was RED. Ek kon dit net eenvoudig nie neersit nie! Sy en haar man en kind het op die vliegtuig geklim vanaf DBN af sonder werk en Adelaide toe gegaan. Doen jouself 'n moerse guns en gaan LEEEEEEES haar journal. Jy sal vanaand nog jou tasse pak!!!

Hier sit ek en my gesinnetjie - ons het 'n week gelede gelodge en glo my jou ondervinding is presies wat met my gebeur het net omdat ander mense JALOERS is en hulle nie dieselfde trein ry as ek nie. My skoonouers was moerig want nou vat ek hulle klein kinders land uit - maaaar............. hulle is nooit beskikbaar vir enige aktiwiteit, siek kind, skool byeenkoms of kinders oorslaap by hulle nie en hulle bly 6 huise van my af! Dan is daar ander drolle wat die grootse bohaai opskop oor al die negatiwiteite maar sal nooit noem hulle het pelle of familie daar anderkant wat nie eers wil kom kuier nie! Want hulle het nie die broek aan om te doen wat ons doen nie!

So................... GAAN LEES RED SE JOURNAL..............http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=20242

Baie Sterkte!!

Hi Poeksie

Man - almal het nou vir jou raad gegee. Ek kan niks bylas nie. Doen jouself nog 'n guns. Praat gerus met Blossom hierbo. Sy, my vrou en 'n hele ander klomp dames behoort aan 'n ander forum genaamd "The Ladies Lounge". Baie van die vrouens op die forum behoort ook daaraan. Hulle groep bestaan uit vrouens wat reeds in Australie is en die wat nog in SA sit. Julle vroumense het mos 'n manier om met mekaar te gesels wat ons mans nie altyd versaan nie. Doen jouself 'n guns en sluit by hulle aan. Ek het ongeluukig nie die website adres nie.

Groetnis

Jimmy

oi..and we got not cockroaches here....what heaven!!!

Just ignore them,, most of us had things like that thrown at us...its either caused through ignorance or jealousy .....

Even on bad days here, where you miss family, friends and comfort zones it has never crossed my mind to return to SA. Been here almost 6 months and no regrets. Have met up with a fair amount of Saffers at work with quite interesting results. Most are here to stay even one girl who still cries on the phone with her Mom every day because she misses her so much and has had real problems at a previous work place she has no intention of ever returning. Another girl, always been happy here had her kids here but they had said they would never stay and their plan is to be back in SA by the start of the next school year, going home nothing bad to say about Ausralia. The rest all happy they made the move and no plans to return. Crime, no problem where we are, our wheely bins stand out in front of the house all the time, been in our rental for 4 months now, the other night someone decided to move them for us and we found them across the road, neatly parked on the verge and we moved them back onto our property, we have since put them behind the car just cause if someone did take them we would have to find the money to replace them and don't want to be wastful at the moment. Food we are eating better than we did in SA and the kids are encouraged to eat more healthily at school. We are a one income family and we are not starving, we are making ends meet,in SA we had two incomes and we were really battling! In pre-primary in the school our daughters attend the morning snack is provided by the parents on a roster basis where we bring in the morning snack once a term and it is fresh fruit that is cut and served and enjoyed by the kids. Great! Kids eat what is given to them,no chips and sweats etc and they encourage each other to eat and try.

My two cents worth, we have been happy with our choice even with the difficulties and hurdles that have come our way.

Susan

Hi Poeksie

We have been in Adelaide for 11 weeks now and we are settling well and extremely happy.

We have had our up's and down's looking for work.

But 2.5 months later we are both working earning $$$$$$$$.

We secured our house rental in the first month.

I have not seen more than a couple of flies here. Not sure what the summer will bring.

The heat wave hit in Feb, that was a once off and the temp's are not always like that.

Most dwellings and offices are fitted with a cooling system.

Go and read my thread.. 'What a battle we've had in Adelaide' and go and read 'RED'S journal thread.

We don't have to paint a pretty picture. All you need is FAITH and POSITIVENESS.

Don't come here if your heart is still in SA, you will regret it. This move is ALL OR NOTHING.

Good luck and make your dreams a reality.

Regards

Desiree

Life is what you make of it!!!

Always remember the reasons why you want to immigrate...

good luck with your decision

There will always be naysayers who preach doom and gloom....

Do what is right for you and your family!!!

Time and attitude will prove whether your decisions are right or wrong, good or bad!

Good luck!!!

My advice would be to read the forum there is a whole heap of information just read and you will read mostly positive stuff. Have a look at the following posts:

Why did you make the move ...?, Unscientific survey why you left SA.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=23812&st=15

South African Volumes to Australia, So where do we all go to in Aus and do we leave?

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=23666

These stats are for people who move to Aus Permanently.

Cost of living, Salary vs Costs

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=23772

All telling me about how many South Africans are over there that wants to come back but don’t have any money to come back, This may be true, there will always be some who can't make it and feel that SA is a better place. But the stats show more Saffers are going to Aus and only on average 2% return to SA.

How many South-Africans are sitting around waiting for months now but can’t find a Job. Times are tough around the world and soon there will Saffers in SA sitting around waiting for jobs, wait they are already doing that SA unemployment officially at about 24% unofficial 43%. Australia 7%, I take my chances in Aus.

They are telling me how bad the schools are that side, Like any place there are good schools and bad schools, Aus has 3 universities that are in the world top 20, SA none,

Children are growing up with no discipline at all, or they turn out to be junkies etc....... I'm sure with your SA values and morals your child will grow up just fine, It is how you raise your kids that count.

They also tell me about the heat, they say it get so hot that you cannot take a change to go outside, Damn some places are hot ....for sure!!! Adelaide gets to max about 30 in the summer, Perth averages 30, Melbourne Averages 26, Sydney 26 and Brisbane 30.

they also tell me that the flies (not sure what flies) are packing you if you put your foot outside . . . . . . . When I was on My LSD (11/2007) there were a lot of flies in Perth, I remember seeing on TV, Jon Howard covered with flies all over his back whilst visiting Perth

They also say that food is so expensive that one cannot afford to eat properly every day… MMMM from what I read you can “survive†better in Australia then in SA. According to the grocerychoice website the average food basket is about 180 dollars. From the forums 250 dollars will really do you well!

And then they also warn me about the crime, apparently there is allot of crime and the break in to houses quite allot … Yes I think that property crimes is the worst type of crime. The violent crime is what is not in AUS, Canberra had 1 Murder in 2007/2008. Have a look at http://www.aic.gov.au/stats/ …. Have look it is all there unlike SA where these figures are not easily available.

I hope I have made sense, and until you have been there you cannot really understand how lovely it is in AUS. I was in Melbourne for 2 weeks and wanted to cry as it felt like I was already leaving “homeâ€.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by WannabeACT

I for one aren't happy with my work and circumstances right now, and feel stuck personally and professionally (and we live comfortably, short of money, but surrounded by good people and great times in South Africa), and I see it as an opportunity to find the joy and energy again, so if I come back after 2 years or so I will have learned more and experienced more and probably be more satisfied with my choice of South Africa, but for now I feel like an unwanted and by choice I don't want to be here.

Even if all I get is a path back to finding joy in small things again, I'll love Aus for it!!!

Even if all I get is a path back to finding joy in small things again, I'll love Aus for it!!!

Maloui, that is beautiful... And with that outlook and aspiration, you will be so happy in Aus. I really disliked the person I was becoming in RSA, suspicious, tense, argumentative, aggressive on the roads and verbally at work... always expecting the worst from others. I knew that this was not a true reflection of who I am, but I felt very trapped and condemned in RSA, and was always on the defensive... As so many have confirmed, when I arrived in Aus it was like a rebirth! I have rediscovered the joy in small things, and am on a journey to rediscovering my authentic self again. The freedom that this offers me is too big for mere words...

You will love Australia, as you will be free to do this and so much more.

Please don’t fight with me or throw me with stones or hate me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flights are being planned (not paid yet), house is sold (that’s fine, we can still buy something new, or rent), I’m working my notice month and hubby will start his notice month in July (so he still have a Job).

We are very easy going people and I know that we will be able to adapt quick, so that’s not bothering me so much. But YES IT’S TRUE . . . . . . . . I’m worried sick that we are making the mistake of our lives. I’m scared and afraid that everything is not what we are expecting it to be, specifically in Adelaide. I don’t exactly know what I want you guys to reply, but I sure want to have this one and only and last change to get my head clear and go into the moving thing with an open mind. Allot of people at work as well as customers are targeting me!!!! All telling me about how many South Africans are over there that wants to come back but don’t have any money to come back, or how many South-Africans are sitting around waiting for months now but can’t find a Job. They are telling me how bad the schools are that side and children are growing up with no discipline at all, or they turn out to be junkies etc....... They also tell me about the heat, they say it get so hot that you cannot take a change to go outside, they also tell me that the flies (not sure what flies) are packing you if you put your foot outside . . . . . . . They also say that food is so expensive that one cannot afford to eat properly every day. And then they also warn me about the crime, apparently there is allot of crime and the break in to houses quite allot.

Now like I asked in the beginning, please don’t fight with me or throw me with stones. It’s the last thing I need right now. Please rather give me the truth. I’m sure all the people in Adelaide that’s there already can give me clarity. And if you don’t want to post in the open forum please pm me.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Poeksie

Adelaide is a great place to live in, work in and to raise a family - as are all the Australian capital cities in my opinion.

Adelaide has some great schools (some of the best in the country), like St Peters, Prince Alfred College, Scott College, Seymor College, Pembroke,Waldorf, Wilderness School, Mercedes College etc etc, to mention jus a few. Generally the kids that come out of these schools turn out to be outstanding/responsible citizens. Nothing comparable in the North West in my opinion, except maybe for Potchefstroom Boys High...Can you afford to send your kids to one of these schools??? Well maybe not but you may also not be able to afford to send your kids to St Johns, Bishops, Hilton, Rodean etc etc, either. :whome:

Hey and nobody starves in Australia, the federal government provides social security benefits (Dole), free medical services (Medicare), living pensions etc etc. There are no hawkers or beggars on pavements and/or at street corners here - because the goverment provides for the poor and underpriviliged.

In my opinion unless one is making relative comparisons, vague and generalised criticisms based on hearsay are as someone said earlier a lot of cr@p.

The entire Adelaide CBD is surrounded by Parkland's, the closest beaches are a mere 15 mins from the CBD, the beautiful Adelaide Hills, 20 to 30 mins from the CBD and the world famous Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale wine regions approximately 45 and 35 mins from the CBD. B)

Coming from the Transvaal the only thing that one has to get used to is the different climate. Adelaide has a Mediterranean climate (like Cape Town - rains in winter) so everything lush green in Winter and Spring and dry in the summer.

Has the Global Financial Crisis had an adverse effect on the Australian economy, absolutely - that is why it is being referred to as a global financial crisis. Is or will Australia be

more adversely affected than the RSA - only time will tell.

Hey Poeksie, there are no guarantees in life, but if your decision to emigrate to Australia is an informed and conscious one - you have little or nothing to worry about.

Best of luck and if you need help with anything when you arrive in the Metropolis of Adelaide, give us a shout. :ilikeit:

Enjoy!

Manny

Edited by MannyT