Kids and Drugs ....

IamInACT

My 2c worth.....drugs are a growing problem pretty much everywhere in the world including in SA and I am not convinced that the problem is necessarily any worse in Aus than in other places. Perhaps the only difference is the level of open exposure and publicity the issue gets here. I'm sure there are plenty of needles lying around in public toilets and other public places in cities like Jo'burg and Cpt - but how often does the average Joe citizen in SA dare go to a public toilet in central Jo'burg or Cpt these days? Just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

As with all places you have your bad elements, a city of angels just doesn't exist anywhere; but by that same token there are many young Ausies who have their heads on straight and are making a success of their lives.

Exactly, I agree. Switzerland has a HUGE problem also. Drugs AND Alcohol. I am sometimes shocked at what I see. I wonder if it is boredom or stress or family trouble, or what the problem could be that these young people take to alcohol and drugs.

WannabeACT -

As you say, instil good values, talk dont preach to them, dont hide it from them either. As for AIDS, you cant compare the rate here to SA !! Germs are all over, just makes you stronger !!

At the mo with the swine flu doing the rounds at my kids school they have installed those soap goodies that you can use without water - like Dettol - kids dont like to wash hands the old fashioned way - but this way is cool. So it seems those in charge try their hardest to please the kids - even if its getting special soap !!!

Zorba, you have the right attitude. Rather bin the stuff. I have not seen any needles etc on my outings. And dont worry ACT, they dont lie in an open bin for all to view. And its not in your face either.

They are not in your face, just small locked bins. this was one in the gents at Weston Park which is mostly a family place, with parks and train rides

SANY2137.jpg

Just to add some positive to the disposal bins, they are also used for people with diabetes needing to inject themselves.

I was also worried about the drug issue being so 'open' here. It is only more spoken about it here as the Australians are trying to do something about it.

In SA they have so many problems, they don't need more attention :cry:

You just have to watch those Australian airport/border patrol programs to know that the Aus government is extremely tough and vigilant where drugs are concerned. Facts: They dont produce much on Aussie soil and most have to be imported, so relatively little are about and this affects the price. Its a question of supply and demand. In SA you can get a gram of cocaine for R200, in London it is £60 and in Sydney it is $300 for something that has been cut beyond recognition because there is not much available and the dealer wanted to make his go a long way. But teenagers will probably do a bit of drinking and smoking weed, but is not like SA where someone goes up to Transkei in their holidays (in a VW beatle?) and bring back a black bag of dagga to sell on campus. Here is not a area where they produce like Transkei and there are too many road blocks around. If you teach your kids the facts, have good, open communication with them and not put them in a protective bubble your kids will be fine.

Its really no problem WannabeACT. Hope the picture doesnt offend anyone.

I think the unknown is darn scary for most of us - and I try to remember back to when I was in SA and was so curious for info and pics of ACT. Unfortunately my photo skills leave alot to be desired.

When I took the pics of Weston Park I thought of you - well of your little ones - there were so many kiddies there having parties and climbing on all the kiddies things. A lovely place - sure you, your other half and kiddies will love it there.

Edited by Lyn

Yeah it a;; helps .... I think that my better half is coming arround and would love to meet you one day in Canberra