Potjiekos recipes

sonnetjie

I would like to try some potjiekos recipes in the slow cooker. If you have any tried and tested recipes it would be awesome if you could please share them.

Anybody else using their slow cooker this winter? What do you like making in it? Would you recommend it?

All my Ozzie friends have one and I’m seriously considering buying one. They have all mentioned how much time it saves them, how they have a warm cooked dinner ready to serve by the time they get home from work. Some of them let their dinner cook in the slow cooker while they at work others put the next day’s meal in the slow cooker the moment they get home. Veggies first, then stock herbs and then the meat and then cook it overnight. The next morning they have a cooked meal and they take this to work as a lunch and have the rest for dinner when they get home. OR Just they just add all the ingredients for a soup and let it cook for the rest of the day at a low heat till they get home.

I bought a slow cooker a few months back and now that its freezing I find I am using it at least 3 times a week.

I dont work, so usually cook when I get in from running around at about 12ish - I cook on the high setting - for about 5 hours. Just put all the bits in and let it do its thing. Cheap cuts of meat just fall apart.

I also use it for corned beef. Makes delicious sandwiches and the meat is cheap.

Never thought of using my favourite potjie recipe - thanx for that - am now going to try that !!

I am waiting for mine to arrive in the container. Never used it in SA, so please could you share some ideas recipes so I can get into the swing of things.

Thanks

Desiree

I bought myself one for my birthday and find that I am also ussing it two to three times a week and even sometimes on a weekend while cleaning the house. I bought a few packets of slowcooker sauces from Coles and WW and the mild chicken curry and the lambshanks are a family favourite now. And this week I discovered a soup base made by Heinz. You just add you veggies and whalla a cooked meal when you get home.

Also a potjiekos recipe. Let me know if it works in the slowcooker. Never tried it before in the slowcooker.

BEEF AND VEGGIES POT

In this lovely pot, extra salt is not needed as the soya sauce contains enough salt. Also, port can be used as a substitute for the sherry. It’s enough for 6 people and a # 3 pot is recommended.

INGREDIENTS SAUCE

1 kg Stowe beesvleis, cubed

125 ml Sweet sherry2 Medium onions, sliced

125 ml Soya sauce125 ml Dried apricots, soaked in water for 1 hour

5 ml Black pepper4 Carrots, peeled and sliced

3 ml Dry mustard2 Sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced

1 ml Dry rosemary4 Medium potatoes, peeled and halved

1 ml Dry thyme6 Baby marrow, sliced

1 Cube beef stock250 ml Cabbage, chopped

500 ml Boiling water1 Tomato, peeled and sliced

INGREDIENTS

Black pepper to taste

30 ml Cooking oil30 ml Dried parsley

1 Beef kidney, cubed

METHOD

Heat the oil in the pot and brown the meat and kidney till almost brown. Add the onions and brown together.

Mix the ingredients of the sauce and add it to the pot. Stir well, cover with the lid and simmer for 1.5 hours.

Layer the dried fruit and then the veggies as they appear in the recipe. Sprinkle some pepper over the tomatoes.

Cover with the lid and allow the pot to simmer for about 2 hours or until the veggies are done.

Another potjie recipe

OXTAIL & MUTTON POT

This pot has won competition after competition. It has it’s ingredients packed in circles and not in layers, which makes the dishing up easier and also enables one to have a better look at what’s in the pot. It’s enough for 6 people and a # 3 pot is recommended.

INGREDIENTS

30ml Butter125ml Dry red wine

1 Oxtail, cut into pieces62ml Water

500g of Skaapskenkels, cut into pieces500ml Green beans, cut up

500g Skaapstertjies / ribbetjies1 Bunch of carrots, sliced

8 Medium onions, diced0.5 Cauliflower, broken up

250g Bacon, diced300g Button mushrooms

4 Blocks beef stock, crumbled1 Green pepper, diced

10 Whole peppercorns15 Baby potatoes

8 Whole kruienaeltjies2 Celery sticks, chopped

4 Cloves of garlic, chopped15 Whole uitjies

10ml Mixed herbsGrated neutmuskaat to taste

1 Stick cinnamon15g Brown onion soup

1 Red chilli pepperRoughly chopped parsley

Pepper to taste

METHOD

Smeer the pot with the butter and braai the meat for about 15 minutes until brown.

Add the onions, bacon, beef stock, spices and herbs and braai for a further 15 minutes. Remove the mutton pieces.

Add the water and the wine to the oxtail, cover with the lid and allow the pot to simmer for about 1 hour.

Replace the mutton and let it simmer for a further 50 minutes.

Now pack the veggies as follows - A ring of green beans against the edge of the pot, then a ring of carrots and a ring of cauliflower right in the middle.

Push the mushrooms tightly between the edge of the pot and the green beans and sprinkle the chilli over.

Pack the potatoes between the beans and the carrots and sprinkle the celery over.

Pack the uitjies around the cauliflower and sprinkle the soup powder and parsley over.

Cover with the lid and allow it to simmer for a further 2 hours or until the veggies are soft.

No salt is used as the soup powder and beef stock contains enough salt.

CHICKEN AND VEGGIES POT

Lot’s of liquid must be added to this pot as the cabbage draws water. It’s best served with a pot bread and is enough for 6 people when a # 3 pot is used.

INGREDIENTS

30 ml Cooking oil1.2 ml Ground black pepper

10 Chicken thighs6 Large carrots, peeled and sliced

2 Large onions, diced12 Baby potatoes, peeled

45 ml Chutney1 Small cabbage, chopped

10 ml Salt0.5 Small butternut, cubed

5 ml Dried mixed herbs1 Can undrained “pitmieliesâ€

5 ml Garlic flakes125 ml Sweet white wine

METHOD

Heat the oil in the pot and brown the chicken and onions together for about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix the chutney, salt, herbs, garlic and pepper and spread this mixture evenly over the chicken.

Now layer the carrots, potatoes, cabbage and butternut on top of the chicken.

Spread the rest of the chutney mixture over the veggies and pour the mielies on top.

Add the wine, cover with the lid and allow the pot to simmer for 1.5 – 2 hours.

CRAYFISH POT

If you thought that nothing can be tastier than crayfish, and then try it with the flavourful rice in this awesome pot. The pot must simmer slowly to prevent the rice from burning. It’s delicious when served with a fresh garden salad. It’s enough for 6 people and a # 3 pot is recommended.

INGREDIENTS

45 ml Cooking oil150 g Sliced mushrooms

750 ml Uncooked rice2 Tomatoes, peeled and diced

1 Medium onion, chopped1 packet White onion soup

1 Green pepper, chopped10 ml Garlic salt

1.5 L Water6 Uncooked crayfish tails

10 ml Dried parselySalt to taste

Juice of 1 lemon

METHOD

Allow the parsley to soak in the water for 15 minutes.

Heat the oil in the pot and cook the rice for a few minutes.

Add the onions and peppers and brown until soft.

Add the parsley water and the rest of the ingredients except the crayfish.

Sprinkle the salt over and cover with the lid. Allow the pot to simmer slowly for 30 minutes or until the rice is almost done.

Now place the crayfish tails on top of the pot and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes. Don’t cook the crayfish for too long as it could get soggy.

Seekos-Potjie

Braai 2 uie saam met n halwe potjie garlic. (my keuse - kan verminder word)

Gooi 1 pak sampioene by en braai.

Gooi 'n pak gemengde seekos by en braai vir sowat 5min saam.

Roer by 250ml vars room en 1 pakkie wit uiesop.

Laat dit vir 'n halfuur prut.

Wenke:

As jy en jou vriende wil saam kuier om 'n pot, sal ek 'n seekos-potjie afraai.

Indien jy jou skoon familie moet nooi vir ete, is dit ideaal - sorg net dat daar al kole is as hulle opdaag.

Indien jy bietjie variasie wil gebruik, kan jy mossels met die skulp ingooi, of crabsticks is ook goedkoop en baie lekker; stokvis kan ook die potjie bietjie rek.

Vermeerder jou room en uiesop saam met die seekos m.a.w. 2 pakke seekos; 2 uiesop en 2 room.

jou kole moet redelik koel wees.

dien op saam met rys en Franse brood.

'n Potjie Wenk

As jy potjiekos maak, gebruik "Spray en cook" dit help dat die kos nie aanbrand nie, maar help veral ook dat die pot nie na die tyd roes nie.

WATERBLOMMETJIE POTJIE (SA shop in Joondalup sells waterblommetjies)

This traditional South African potjie is a must. It’s enough for 6 people and a # 3 pot is recommended.

INGREDIENTS

1kg Waterblommetjies2.5ml Ground black pepper

12 Pieces of sheep neck500g Baby carrots, peeled

4 Medium-sized onions, diced15 Medium potatoes, quartered

250ml Water500g Cauliflower

6 Black pepper-corns500g Whole button mushrooms

4 Bay leaves6 Baby marrow, sliced

3 Whole ‘kruienaeltjies’4 Tomatoes, cubed

15ml Salt500g Mixed dried fruit, soaked in water for 1 hour

15ml Aromat250ml Dry white wine

10ml Dried parsley90ml Bisto in 125ml Water

METHOD

Heat the pot and melt the butter. Then brown a few pieces of meat at a time and remove.

Brown the onions until soft.

Return the meat and add the water, pepper-corns, bay leaves and ‘naeltjies’ and 10ml of the salt.

Cover with the lid and allow the pot to simmer for about 1 hour.

Mix the aromat, parsley, pepper and the remaining salt and sprinkle in-between the layered vegetables (layer the veggies as they appear in the recipe).

Place the dried fruit on top and allow the pot to simmer for about 1.5 hours.

Sprinkle a little aromat over the pot, cover with the lid and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.

Finally, add the wine and the bisto solution 30 minutes before the pot is served.

There are some nice potjie recipes here funky munky potjie recipes

Thanx AndreaL - great site - and Beukes for typing all those recipes. I have my slow cooker going as I type.

Just one thing - I love oxtail - but notice here its sold in the pet food section and is very very fatty. Havent seen it otherwise.

Thanks everyone... now to go shopping and stock up.

Keep them coming

Now I'm hungry and missing my mom's cooking :unsure:

How much are these slow cookers and do you need to get an expensive one?

Thank you for sharing all these great recipes.

Re Question; "How much are these slow cookers and do you need to get an expensive one?"

I suggest you have a look on http://www.choice.com.au/defaultView.aspx?...mp;catId=100165 they will give you a good breakdown for value off money and performance. I was planning on buying the Sunbeam as it got such a good rating by the choice magazine, but then my mother in law gave me the Ronson which had a similar rating. The prices range from $45-$95. I suggest you compare the prices at DJ with Meyer, Good Guys and Bing Lee etc there is some fantastic bargains out there at the moment.

Edited by sonnetjie

We use ours a lot in winter as well. It is great, definitely worth it.

Some recipes:

http://family.go.com/food/recipe-631166-cr...oker-recipes-t/

We have been using this one often: http://family.go.com/food/recipe-cp-523712...eThings_B_05_11

bbq-pulled-pork-240x240-Crock-Pot-BBQPldpk.jpg

Ps the leftovers are great for sandwiches for work

Edited by polly