Sydney Opera House

Springbok

Any opera buffs in here?

I thought it would be nice to see a performance in the Sydney Opera House during my visit in March. These are my options:

Marriage of Figaro (Mozart)

Rusalka (Dvorak)

Alcina (Händel)

So - any recommendations? I see Cheryl Barker sings the lead role in Rusalka, is she well-known in Australia?

Thanks

Charl

My 5c worth

All three would be good productions, if you a first timer for the opera Marriage of Figaro (Mozart) would be my first choice.

Marriage of Figaro (Mozart) Old classic always presented well, fun very lively, light hearted

Rusalka (Dvorak) more serious would be Slavic, Eastern European, different sounds very interesting

Alcina (Händel) More serious

PS: Cheryl Baker is Australian born here

Enjoy the opera. We bought a mixed year pack as a family of ballet/ symphony/opera and have really enjoyed it. If you have the opportunity to see a symphony it is well worth it. :ilikeit:

Edited by sonnetjie

We bought a mixed year pack as a family of ballet/ symphony/opera and have really enjoyed it. If you have the opportunity to see a symphony it is well worth it. B)

What is this mixed year pack and what does it cost?

Mozart wrote only one proper piece, and that was his Requiem. :ilikeit: I'll start running now!

My father, hubbie & brother organised it between the six of us. For a number of years we use to only buy season tickets for the symphony. This year the guys in the family thought we would try something different. I initially thought we had bought one package that was a mix of symphony, ballet, opera and theatre. Hub corrected me last night and mentioned that between the six of us we bought 4 packages and just swapped the tickets out.

Here are the links for the 2007 season packages at the symphony

The EnergyAustralia Master Series

The Emirates Metro Series

Kaleidoscope Series

Gift subscriptions: Connoisseur's Selection

The set series of packages for 2007 opera usually closes in September. The only package that is still left is the Choose your own package

The Sydney Theatre 2007 packages are not yet available you can request a brochure from here

Australian Ballet 2007 package are available here

Edited by sonnetjie

Hi Springbok

Wat ek sal voorstel is gaan op die website http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/sections/whats_on/boxoffice/ Aan die regterkant sal jy sien daar is 'n area wat se "advanced search". Sit net die datums wat julle in Sydney gaan wees in en by "event" kies opera en "Wha-la!" Daar is al die opera's wat julle graag wil sien.

Het so bietjie vir jou rond gesoek en al die operas wys wat julle graag wil sien. Meeste begin 19:30 en kostes is so tussen $102 - $233. Besprekings vir 2007 kan eers gemaak word van vandag (25 November) af, so ek sal voorstel dat jy jou kaartjies maar "online" koop. Dit gaan tien teen een al uitverkoop wees, indien jy wag tot vlg jaar. Om "online" te kan bespreek en koop, moet jy registreer op die "website" (dis natuurlik verniet). Hulle stuur 'n afskrif van die "kaartjies" na jou e-pos en onthou net om dit te print en saam te vat die aand van die vertoning (jy sal dit en "proof of identity" by ontvangs moet wys om die oorspronklike kaartjies op te tel) Onthou ook om ten minste 2 ure voor die vertoning begin julle kaartjies te gaan optel by die ontvangsarea by die Opera Huis self.

Indien julle regtig baie van opera hou, sal ek voorstel dat julle ook op die Captain Cook Opera Cruise gaan. Die koste is so $109 p/p. Daar is ook ander "cruises" beskikbaar, die website is captain cook cruises

Jy kan die cruise ook "online" book, maar ek twyfel of dit regtig nodig is - daar is meeste van die tyd plek beskikbaar.

Hoop dit help so bietjie! :)