Hi There!

Sals

I've been browsing the forums for a while now but never really had the time to post. Well all that changes now!

My husband and I live in Cape Town with our two boys (Age: 3.8yrs and 8 months) and we have just lodged our 176 Family Sponsored Visa on 5th May. It's been a year long challenge (for want of a better word!) in getting all our documentation together but we've finally done it. Our medicals are booked for 19th May and we're hoping to pass this last hurdle with flying colours. Our sponsor is my brother and his wife who have been living in Brisbane for 7 years now. A bit of background: I'm originally from Zimbabwe and moved to SA 6 years ago when I married a Saffer.

I've gathered so much valuable information from these forums and every day I learn something valuable...whether it's from the experiences of people or the practicalities of moving to another country. Thank you all and I hope to be able to contribute in a way that will help others, just as I've been helped.

:hug:

Hi Sals

Welcome to the family!!!

Good luck to you and your family! Hope you find yourselves in OZ before you all know it!!!!

EricaC :hug:

I've been browsing the forums for a while now but never really had the time to post. Well all that changes now!

My husband and I live in Cape Town with our two boys (Age: 3.8yrs and 8 months) and we have just lodged our 176 Family Sponsored Visa on 5th May. It's been a year long challenge (for want of a better word!) in getting all our documentation together but we've finally done it. Our medicals are booked for 19th May and we're hoping to pass this last hurdle with flying colours. Our sponsor is my brother and his wife who have been living in Brisbane for 7 years now. A bit of background: I'm originally from Zimbabwe and moved to SA 6 years ago when I married a Saffer.

I've gathered so much valuable information from these forums and every day I learn something valuable...whether it's from the experiences of people or the practicalities of moving to another country. Thank you all and I hope to be able to contribute in a way that will help others, just as I've been helped.

:hug:

Hi Sals, welcome! So glad that you decided to join us!

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!

Hi Sals and welcome to the Forum.

Best of luck with your jourmey.

I don't want to sound over confident, I am not in Oz yet, but I can honestly say that phsychologically

I am already there.

I believe we need to brace ourselves for whatever comes our way on this journey, I really think it's

all in the mind. My dad is still in our home town, Bulawayo, and in fact at almost 76 years of age he is still

blessed with enough health to still be farming in the Kezi district aswell.

Hey, comfort yourself, Africa is no place for sissies. If we have lived here, we can adapt in many other

parts of the world.

All the best

Andre

Thanks everyone :ilikeit:

Andre dP - The resilience, optimism and strength of those who have chosen to stay in Zimbabwe constantly amazes me. I still have quite a bit of family there...my parents, two brothers and their families, two grandmothers and assorted uncles, aunts, cousins and friends. They make a good life for themselves despite the trying circumstances. I figure if I can take even half of that strength along with me to Oz...I'll definitely be ok!

Hi again Sals,

I reckon you will be more than ok. I also think that us Southern Africans (Zim, SA, Bots, Namibia ....?) possibly

have some sort of greater appreciation for life or maybe some form of open-mindedness, I'm not sure how

to define it. No disrespect to Aussies, Americans or Europeans (by birth & upbringing), but I have met quite a

number of people from what's defined as 1st world countries, and not all, but many of them appeared to me as

kind of taking things (social systems, infra-structure, etc.) totally for granted. Hence, I will always be greatful for

having had what I consider the opportunity to have been born and bred in Africa, and will always have fond memories

thereof. I have just made a conscious decision that I am not prepared to spend the rest of my life here. Our kids are

5 and 8yrs and I think the younger they are, the easier they too adapt to a different country.

Some food for thought:

Did you at all consider State Sponsorship? I only ask because that is exactly what moved our app. up the queue. It was

rather by accident - we obviously had no idea that DIAC would shuffle the priorities of apps. as they did from 1 Jan 09.

State sponsorship does bind you to that particular state, which was ok for us because we decided on Perth (or

anywhere close thereto within WA) prior to logement online. You and your hubby's professions, and who the primary

applicant is, are what to consider with State Sponsorship. Each Australian State or Teritory participates in it, and it's

free of charge. The intersting proof that I got that our app. jumped the queue, was through meeting another electrician

at IELTS test who is from PE, and lodged a 175 (Skilled Independant) app. June 2008, and got his Case Officer 04 May

2009. I lodged or 176 State Sponsored App. on 02 Dec 2008 and got a CO on 02 Feb 2009. Anyway, as I say, just for

you to consider.

Are you guys set on Brisbane?

We found the Queenslander houses interesting, unusual, and not our first choice. Let's remember - different strokes

for different folks.

The current global situation w.r.t employment does make me a little nervous having comitted to State of WA, but then

again, lets keep the faith.

Cheers

Andre

Hi Andre

I must admit I hadn't further investigated the other visa options once we decided to go the Family Sponsor route. Since we more than met all the criteria, we figured it'd just be best to go this route. The other advantages are that most of the people I grew up with are based in Brisbane which guarantees me a support base when I get there. Then there's the advantage of being able to stay with my brother and his family until we're set up with jobs, a place to stay etc. The third major advantage is that my brother works as the Financial Director for his company. This means he has a valuable network of recruitment agents he deals with regularly which will help us tremendously in getting some form of work as soon as we get there. I guess for these reasons, Brisbane really is our best bet however we have decided that if hubby and I find better jobs elsewhere, we'll go where the jobs are. Like someone in this forum said in another thread, as long as we're willing to be flexible and adapt ourselves to the environment, we should be ok.

That being said, I have family in Perth and they have asked us to spend a few days with them so they can try and convince us to relocate there instead. I'm rather excited at the prospect of exploring the different areas of Oz to see what would suit us best. From what I understand, Perth is stunning and I'm sure you'll find it to be that way. The job situation is concerning but there's always a break if the risk is taken. Like you say....we'll all keep the faith!! :rolleyes:

Hi Sals

That makes perfect sense, in fact it may even be silly not to start out in Brisbane. That is my biggest concern. My

in-laws are down the road from us currently, and when neither Natalie or I can fetch kids - Ring ring... hello Mom...

That support base cannot be measured in monetary value. I will miss that dearly. But we must take life with the

pros and cons.

On a lighter note. I just found the born and bread Aussies very attached and having the highest oppinion of their

birth areas. And I made a point of talking to a few of them about this. It's neither here nor there, I just found it

interesting.

Eg: We stayed in Brisbane with Diona (Natalie's cousin, originally from PE, been in Oz 12yrs +) She married Ben, a born

and bread Sydney boy. I said: "Ben, tell me about Adelaide?" He replies, and no jokes: "Ah!! Adelaide has all the family

murderer types. Lots of crazy people live there". Then I spoke to an estate agent on the Gold Coast, told him I'm

considering Perth. He said: "Why Perth mate? that's nowhere near anywhere!" (Perth is regarded as the most isolated

city in the world, that's a fact) I just shook my head. I am convinced that us outsiders to Oz have a broader perspective.

Maybe it's just human and having no history there. Well not yet, anyway. Oh dear, what will we be saying while sitting

on the stoep of the Australian old age home? Oh no! Perish the thought!!!

It's been great chatting to you.

What are you and hubby's professions, by the way? I'm a sparky as I mentioned. I also have an engineering diploma,

so I'm hoping to have 2 possible career avenues. Actually I did have an interview with a Power Distribution Co. in

Brisbane, called Energex. Your brother is bound to know of them. Needless to say, no job offer came from that.

Take care,

We'll "see" one another again on the Forum.

Andre

Welcome to the forum - and i agree 100% that this place has a wealth of information.

Good luck with all your plans.

Hi and welcome... Nice to see another family from Cape Town..... :ilikeit:

Maybe we should start a support group for sparkies now!!!!! Looks like we are all leaving.

Looks like Eskom will have to turn out the lights when we are gone (LOL)

Welcome to the Forum Sals!

Hubby and I are also hoping to settle in Brissies once our 175 PR comes through.

Who knows, maybe we'll be meeting for coffee in Brissies sometime in the future!

All the best with your visa and medicals!

Thanks everyone! It would be great to meet up with forumites in Brisbane once we get there (fingers, toes and eyes crossed!)

Had a call today from my sister-in-law's former Boss Lady in Durban. She and her family are going over to Oz on a LSD in July and she's hoping to put in her application soon after that. It's just so amazing how since we decided to do our application we are constantly meeting people who are either thinking/planning to head over to Oz.