Cake Flour

dukes

Made some scones with self raising flour today but they didn't turn out as good as they used to with the cake flour. Searched all the shops for cake flour but they don't have it, what can I use????

Corah

I am sure the flour I have been buying is just normal flour, not self raising.

But it is not the same as what we are used to, although my scones worked out fine!

Want my recipe?

I think mine is called general or all purpose flour. Been buying White Wings brand. Worked ok so far (two birthday cakes and counting :ilikeit:)

Plain flour, is what I've been using - I assumed that would be the substitute for cake flour as I couldn't find any in the shops. No problems so far with my recipes, hope I didn't jinx it now :whome:

Cake flour is just the normal plain flour you get at the shops (woolworths no name call it Plain flour). Self raising flour has raising agents in them already, so if you want to use self raising flour (or its all you have in the cupboards) you need to omit the raising agent (either bicarb or baking powder )from the recipe. The other flour you get here in Oz which is readily available is bread flour, specifically for making bread or similar baked good like, chelsea buns or cinnamon scrolls. It has a higher protein content then plain flour or cake flour and also higher gluten which gives bread its shape etc. Also useful to note that with self raising flour, after a while the raising agent can lose its strength over time so one month you may get a great result baking with a batch and two months later not get a great result.

Candice

Thanks guys for the info and Eva oh yes may I please have your recipe. A local friend brought "nice" scones for me but unfortunately it wasn't that African scone taste and I think I'll try yours thanks.

But Candice if plain flour and cake flour are the same how come we have both cake flour and plain flour at home :hug::hug: . I think cake flour is a refined plain flour of some sort. By the way, I haven't even tried the plain flour'. I'll try it and update you guys. I get my recipes online on www.food24.com its a fantastic South African website and I swear by their recipes. Go ahead and try it.

This is the easiest recipe in the WORLD!

Sift

2 cups flour

2t baking powder

pinch salt

can add some sugar if you like them sweetened

into a mixing bowl.

In a cup

1/4 cup oil

break 1 egg into the oil and whisk

top up to a full cup with milk, whisk.

Add the wet to the dry ingredients, mix and shape into scones, seems to work out whether they are a bit big or a bit small, normal kinda scone size!

Bake for 10 minutes at 200C

Easy peasy!

Thanks guys for the info and Eva oh yes may I please have your recipe. A local friend brought "nice" scones for me but unfortunately it wasn't that African scone taste and I think I'll try yours thanks.

But Candice if plain flour and cake flour are the same how come we have both cake flour and plain flour at home :hug::lol: . I think cake flour is a refined plain flour of some sort. By the way, I haven't even tried the plain flour'. I'll try it and update you guys. I get my recipes online on www.food24.com its a fantastic South African website and I swear by their recipes. Go ahead and try it.

According to some googling you can get cake flour which is supposed to be used in 'delicate cakes' for a 'refined crumb' haha I haven't seen cake flour, I went to look at all my flours and I seem to pick up the plain flour every time. I have a lot apparently hmmm suppose I should get to some more baking. The plain flour is a good all purpose flour with more protein in then cake flour(google again) which I think will give you a less refined crumb=african scone taste. :lol:

Do some taste testing and let us know :hug:

This is the easiest recipe in the WORLD!

Sift

2 cups flour

2t baking powder

pinch salt

can add some sugar if you like them sweetened

into a mixing bowl.

In a cup

1/4 cup oil

break 1 egg into the oil and whisk

top up to a full cup with milk, whisk.

Add the wet to the dry ingredients, mix and shape into scones, seems to work out whether they are a bit big or a bit small, normal kinda scone size!

Bake for 10 minutes at 200C

Easy peasy!

Thank you very much. eating a delicious scone as I write :D

Thank you very much. eating a delicious scone as I write :D

Did you use my recipe?

Will add some variations if anyone's interested....

Ok, same basic recipe (omit sugar and add a bit more salt) grind in some black pepper. Add a squeeze of sweet chilli sauce (or more than a squeeze if you like!) and a cup of grated cheese. You may need to sprinkle a bit more flour if it is a bit too sloppy, but this is a very forgiving recipe. It always seems to work. Otherwise all the same...

Edited by Eva

Hi

When I bake, I use selfraising flour, and add baking powder on top of that. Advice I got from South African that's been here for 8 years, who loves her baking!

Monica

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Eva, for the recipe, tried it and it came out tops!!!! Good for winter, don't know about the calories

Thanks Eva, for the recipe, tried it and it came out tops!!!! Good for winter, don't know about the calories

B):lol: Probably not best for dieting....

Glad they worked for you.

I will post another variation.